Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mbwmbw
Official Response from ExpertFlyer regarding Delta's ability to restrict data:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23465105-post182.html

Hi folks,

All of us here at ExpertFlyer just want to say thank you for the positive support we've been receiving, both on FT and via email.

Reading some of the posts on this thread it appears there might be some misconceptions on how airline data is distributed. To be clear, a GDS distributes airline data to its customers at the discretion of the airline. The airline-GDS contracts state that the airline controls the flow of data thru the GDS and if an airline decides that they don't want a particular GDS customer, agency or non-agency, to have their data the GDS must block data from being available to a customer if the airline asks them to. As noted in our quoted statement, Delta has already done this with many online travel agencies.

So as a practical matter, in the near term this meant that we had no choice and didn't "cave" as some have speculated, the DL information was going to be withheld with or without our participation. We continue to explore our options but for now, rightly or wrongly, the GDS-agency contracts allow for this as they have the right to modify the content made available to agencies.

We cannot comment on any future plans regarding this specific matter however we will continue to work on behalf of our customers to add as much value as possible to ExpertFlyer.

-The ExpertFlyer.com Team
Check the updated thread at (see the Wiki at the top):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...available.html

You will see that they actually used screenshots of ExpertFlyer. I'm sure someone in DL Corporate just saw this and said it's making a headache for us and not providing any additional value so shut it down.... Almost guarantee it.
Print Wikipost

DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pete4212
In addition it would appear based on their actions with ExpertFlyer that they will ask KVS to simply refrain from showing any DL data from any source at all and not just stop at blocking the screen scraping of DL.com.
I'm guessing DL may be able to get KVS to quit scraping DL.com. My guess is they will be unsuccessful in blocking KVS from getting DL data scraped from third party sites. KVS has been scraping all along and to my knowledge doesn't really have an agreement with a data source like EF does that, if cut off, strikes a hard blow to their entire business. More likely, DL would [need to] go after that site for making the data available to KVS and the like.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I hear you, it sucks that you don't get that text anymore or that alert of any kind. However, if you can't, then no one else can either. Your playing on a level playing field. As for the fare class, why can't you check on Delta.com and see if you can book a ticket in the fare class that you need?. You can't SDC until T-24 anyway so its not like you really have to look pre -24.
DL.com is useless for trying to determine availability, as to even quote you a price, there has to be a fare rule you meet the criteria for. It won't show you a T fare if you had to buy 14 days in advance to qualify, even if there is T availability.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by exwannabe
"Third party"?

The GDS systems are all tighlty bound to the airlines. If DL (or any other major) says jump, they jump.

If you want to argue they should be independent, fine. But that is certainly not the reality.
The only way they're "bound" is that the airlines participate (or they don't, which cuts both ways). My argument is that after you publish fares/buckets, etc. on the GDS, they're now part of the public realm (if you have access to a GDS provider). I don't see how DL can stop the next party from using them as they see fit... A travel agent that has access could conceivably lookup the exact same info.

As others have stated, I think EF doesn't want to suffer the wrath of DL's legal team to fight their C&D order.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by exwannabe
"Third party"?

The GDS systems are all tighlty bound to the airlines. If DL (or any other major) says jump, they jump.

If you want to argue they should be independent, fine. But that is certainly not the reality.
Do some research -- Sabre Holdings (the company mentioned several times in this thread) was a publicly held corporation that was bought out by equity firms in 2006. Sabre Holdings includes Travelocity, a booking site in direct competition with "delta.com". There are several other major (but also privately held) GDS firms as well.

Under the laws of this country they are required to be competitive. Fixing the terms of business and trying to manipulate how they do business with their customers would be considered "restraints of trade".
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Delta Points
Really? As long as DAL share price is going up and planes are full and there is little competition in the market they can anything they please and we have no choice!
Sure you have a choice--the choice to not fly DL and vote with your spending on other airlines. Of course, DL is counting on the fact that you will stick with them, regardless; only a tiny fraction of a percentage of Delta FFs use EF, so DL can't be all that concerned.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
My question exactly.

Also fact themselves are not really subject to copyright, see FEIST PUBLICATIONS, INC. v. RURAL TELEPHONE SERVICE CO., 499 U.S. 340 (1991):

Feist prevailed and was permitted to use Rural's telephone listing data.

With ExpertFlyer and others, I suspect it's mostly a matter of having neither deep pockets nor a willingness to risk what capital they have to engage Delta in litigation. The advantage goes to the 800# gorilla.
I would argue that the Delta information published by the GDS is hardly equivalent to the "facts" of name, town and telephone number required by state law to be published in a white pages directory. Accordingly, I'd hesitate to cite Feist as supporting EF's unfettered right to distribute the Delta information.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
WTH Delta?! Feedback sent.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
unlisted

Originally Posted by FWAAA
I would argue that the Delta information published by the GDS is hardly equivalent to the "facts" of name, town and telephone number required by state law to be published in a white pages directory. Accordingly, I'd hesitate to cite Feist as supporting EF's unfettered right to distribute the Delta information.
Agreed! People don't move or change phones thousands of times a day.

Now DL's inventory is unlisted, that's all.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Originally Posted by jsbh
Stock reply already... EF... unauthorized... decided by corporate office... blah blah blah.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:54 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
. . . . . only a tiny fraction of a percentage of Delta FFs use EF, so DL can't be all that concerned.
Perhaps, more to the point . . . . . Why is Delta so concerned with a tiny fraction of a percentage of their FFs?!? . . . . Most of whom, simply want to be able to fine tune their complete travel experience so that we WANT to fly Delta - not chase us away?!?

To DL2SXM:

I can see me calling the DM hotline, and saying . . . .

I wanna go to BKK sometime betwen November & January. I wanna leave on a Wed or Thurs. Could you please research every US hub to NRT for V class inventory every Wed & Thurs for those 3 months?

Then, check NRT/BKK, please - same 3 months.

Same thing on the way back.

While you're checking, what type of aircraft is each flight?

How full is the J cabin?

Are there any seats available for a GUC UG?

No exit row EC aisle available? OK, start over. Check some other dates.

These are all things I do on my own with EF & DL.com together. It would tie me up and a DM phone agent forever on the phone, but, I can check in between work stuff throughout the day.

Last edited by davetravels; Sep 1, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:59 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by whlinder
When it becomes the standard business practice for the knowledge of the inventory of every product at Walmart, Costco, whatever retailer you like to be easily accessible for $10/month or whatever EF charges get back to me.
Ikea not only tells me the number of inventory on hand in their current stock for a particular item at a particular store, but allows me to check their prognosis for future availability for that item at that store. Very helpful, especially when the nearest store isn't nearby.

My favorite store for building materials is Menards, and they also allow you to check inventory on hand at any store.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by jsbh
great, so a grand total of 9 people e mailed Delta about no more EF. Its going to take a lot more then that. Just sayin....
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by 18sas
Because that's so efficient...
+1
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP,LFP~3 MM; MarriottRewards, LFP; Avis 1st; Hertz Gold
Maybe it is just me...

How does the energy expended on predicting what might happen produce any kind of ROI?

Me: after nearly 3 million miles on AA and EP (yes, I know this DL) for the last 10 years it still boils down to: you get upgraded or you don't.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
DL.com is useless for trying to determine availability, as to even quote you a price, there has to be a fare rule you meet the criteria for. It won't show you a T fare if you had to buy 14 days in advance to qualify, even if there is T availability.
This as well.

Furthermore, when I'm looking at complicated intl flights an agent is not going to come even close to providing the same amount of information with anywhere near the same efficiency as I could get on EF. I frequently have routing that DL.com won't even show (or give insane 24hr+ layovers) unless I piece together multi-city searches, whereas EF will show the proper routing with valid fares files for them, as well as inventory and seat maps.
To get that same amount of information using the website will literally take an hour where I could get it on EF in a minute or two. An agent isn't going to provide inventory of fare buckets or seat map info either, or tell me when DL files fares so I can book into A or P on domestic routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.