Spend Now vs. Spend Later

Old Aug 28, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Spend Now vs. Spend Later

I am sure I am not the first one to ask this, but search in this forum is not exactly seamless, and produces tons of false leads. So here it goes:
Presuming that one is having enough miles to get first-class award tickets for travel scheduled in 2015 timeframe, should he get those tickets now, under 2014 award rules, OR should he wait until January 2015 and try to get it under new schedule/award chart? Have anybody given this topic any thought yet?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum, AMEX DL Platinum, Nexus, TSA PreCheck
If the award is currently available at the low level, get it now. Low level is not going to go lower in the future.

If it's a mid/peak level, then it becomes more a game of waiting and playing your chances.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Other than the award level (price), other considerations are:

How firm is your schedule. refunding charge is $150 for members under PLAT level.

In 2015, one-way award is allowed, which provides more flexibility in how you get to/from your destination. For example, if you are trying to get from NY to Vegas, and can only find low-award going to Vegas, you have the option of buying your return ticket with cash (with Delta or another airline!).

Another consideration on how early/late you buy/redeem your ticket is how popular the flight is, especially during your desired travel dates. E.g. - are you flying out the the friday of a holiday long weekend? Christmas? Thanksgiving? If demand is expected to be high for your desired dates, then book it sooner rather than later.

Demand/supply is also affected by where you are flying from/to. If you are flying from NYC to LAX, then there are literally dozens of direct and 1-stop flights that can get you there, so maybe it is worth waiting for a desirable flight time/connection.

Last edited by chunky649; Aug 29, 2014 at 10:42 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
This is a great question!

We're going to Oahu next summer, and the return flight we really want first class (and we have two semi spoiled teens, as they have flown first class most of the time now!). On the rare occasion that seats pop up for our desired flight, it's at high level (95,000 miles per ticket on way).

I'm waiting for now, but it's a small first class cabin (think they lost seats when it was or will be reconfigured through ATL but is the best flight to the mainland from HNL).
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm wondering the same thing- I am trying to do an IAD-PRG-MUC-IAD trip next September and not sure what to do- book as soon as the window opens in Nov or wait until January. I am thinking it's a crap shoot. I'm platinum, so one of my options is to book in November, then in January, see what happens, as I can always cancel at no charge and re-book using the new redemption levels. We'll see, but knowing delta.dumb and their greed, I suspect it will be 1.) a crappy rollout with many things broken the first month; 2.) worse rates than before to further devalue our miles.
Lisl

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.