FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Shenanigans in FC ATL-LAX yesterday (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1605283-shenanigans-fc-atl-lax-yesterday.html)

avidflyer Aug 23, 2014 5:34 am

Shenanigans in FC ATL-LAX yesterday

Sitting in 1B on the 757 yesterday enjoying my PDB Bloody Mary and when the lead FA got the manifest she approached me, leaned in, and quietly said "we are FEBO this flight so I am taking orders from the back. We really appreciate your business and the fact that you have flown over a million miles so let me know if you want the chicken salad or the Burger". I was the only person she approached and I find it hard to believe I was the only MM in FC so I am a bit baffled.

Obviously I am OK with this (:)) but the guy next to me seemed pretty perturbed. I thought it was a nice gesture but if said guy next to me would have had an issue I would have gladly taken whatever was left. Has this happened to any of you guys? Probably could cause a real issue/scene with DYKWIA types so I am surprised the FA would take the chance. I actually half expected to see a Shenna battle cry on this board today but obviously no FTer saw the infraction :)

Justin026 Aug 23, 2014 6:30 am

A similar gesture for me about three months ago. But in that case, she gave the guy sitting next to me the same advance selection, probably to avoid the issue you ran in to.

Not exactly sure this rises to the dreaded level of an --- "S" alert ...

SDQBound Aug 23, 2014 7:33 am

I'm wondering if there's a list of passengers generated for meal orders as part of the manifest.

I've been in a situation where the row in front has been asked, then the FA approaching other passengers randomly around the cabin, and then coming to me and telling me that I had to take whatever was left. The first time I was on a paid FC ticket and I just inquired why I was the last one to be asked, the FA said he had a list and he had to follow the strict order. Second time I was upgraded, and I believe no other medallions were aboard as when the FO window opened (JFK-SDQ on a Saturday night), I was the only one upgraded, and the rest of the seats were occupied between 1 hour and 15 minutes before departure time (many NRSA Bps including the passenger sitting next to me). I was also the only to board when PREM was called. This time I also asked why I was the last to chose being a medallion, the answer was the same, "I have a list and you are at the bottom, but I'll let you choose".

SCEflyer Aug 23, 2014 7:44 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 23410520)
Sitting in 1B on the 757 yesterday enjoying my PDB Bloody Mary and when the lead FA got the manifest she approached me, leaned in, and quietly said "we are FEBO this flight so I am taking orders from the back. We really appreciate your business and the fact that you have flown over a million miles so let me know if you want the chicken salad or the Burger". I was the only person she approached and I find it hard to believe I was the only MM in FC so I am a bit baffled.

Obviously I am OK with this (:)) but the guy next to me seemed pretty perturbed. I thought it was a nice gesture but if said guy next to me would have had an issue I would have gladly taken whatever was left. Has this happened to any of you guys? Probably could cause a real issue/scene with DYKWIA types so I am surprised the FA would take the chance. I actually half expected to see a Shenna battle cry on this board today but obviously no FTer saw the infraction :)

kpfleming Aug 23, 2014 7:48 am

They could fix this completely by following the lead of other airlines and letting F/J passengers order their meals in advance. You know, technology.

SCEflyer Aug 23, 2014 7:50 am

A choice of chicken salad or burger on a 4 + hour flight! Respectfully, I would not read too much into it. Now if it were 20 years ago, and the selections were a nice filet or chicken dish, that might be something to write about.

It is nice to see how over the past several months, MM's have been getting some recognition.

Sez_Who Aug 23, 2014 8:08 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer (Post 23410520)

I thought it was UA policy to ask the 1k/GS pax in F for their orders before asking others, no?

Haven't seen this myself on DL but sure, it's possible you were the only MM on this particular flt. Personally don't like this idea of selecting which pax get to choose meals first but at least if they are non-rev, they usually say they will take whatever is available.

avidflyer Aug 23, 2014 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 23410949)
I thought it was UA policy to ask the 1k/GS pax in F for their orders before asking others, no?

Haven't seen this myself on DL but sure, it's possible you were the only MM on this particular flt. Personally don't like this idea of selecting which pax get to choose meals first but at least if they are non-rev, they usually say they will take whatever is available.

Yes though it has been hit or miss since the merger. Most of the time it is F to B. I just know DL did not do it (domestically anyway, I often got the choice first in BE as a DM) over the 6-8 years I was flying them all the time so it just surprised me.

avidflyer Aug 23, 2014 8:41 am

Originally Posted by SCEflyer (Post 23410876)
A choice of chicken salad or burger on a 4 + hour flight! Respectfully, I would not read too much into it. Now if it were 20 years ago, and the selections were a nice filet or chicken dish, that might be something to write about.

It is nice to see how over the past several months, MM's have been getting some recognition.

It was lunch and to be fair the chicken/couscous salad was actually pretty good. It came with a grape and cheese plate. I typically stay away from all airline food but I drank a lot on the way down to ATL so I figured some food would slow me down for the LA leg :)

avidflyer Aug 23, 2014 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 23410949)
Personally don't like this idea of selecting which pax get to choose meals first.

I don't either. On UA it is always a little uncomfortable when they ask you and then skip your seatmate and move back. I just do not think it is that big of a deal and has the potential to cause bad feelings from everyone else. Even when there is clear policy (like UA, kind of) most people do not know it is policy and you get the "hey ...?" looks.

Sabai Aug 23, 2014 8:46 am

Originally Posted by kpfleming (Post 23410863)
They could fix this completely by following the lead of other airlines and letting F/J passengers order their meals in advance. You know, technology.

AA does this (and has already sent me an e-mail reminding me of this option on an upcoming flight) but then again, AA isn't afflicted with DL's always-crappy IT.

Robert Leach Aug 23, 2014 8:49 am

I agree that there should be a way to order the preferred meal in advance.

But until that time, I am quite happy to see the FAs go by some sort of rank order.

GRALISTAIR Aug 23, 2014 8:50 am

I have had this in Y on a TATL. Purser approaches me before take off and says "Mr Gralistair, I see you are one of our Diamonds. Please ask if there is anything we can do to help" Me "Thankyou, actually there is. Sometimes you run out of the Cold Chicken Salad option before getting to me as I could not get an EC seat, is there any chance at all please of ensuring I get that option?" ---- "No problem sir, leave it to me" ^:)

ontherun Aug 23, 2014 9:00 am

On monday's BWI-MSP flight, the FA took orders starting at 1A working front to back across the rows. When the FA got to Mr 3D, he had missed out on his choice. He then asked the FA why he was last and didn't get his cohoice, the FA said that they do them in row order, front to back and if he wanted his choice to sit in 1A.

However on last night's MSP-BWI flight, the FA took them starting from the back and worked forward :-) So much for consistency.

avidflyer Aug 23, 2014 9:04 am

Originally Posted by ontherun (Post 23411178)
On monday's BWI-MSP flight, the FA took orders starting at 1A working front to back across the rows. When the FA got to Mr 3D, he had missed out on his choice. He then asked the FA why he was last and didn't get his cohoice, the FA said that they do them in row order, front to back and if he wanted his choice to sit in 1A.

However on last night's MSP-BWI flight, the FA took them starting from the back and worked forward :-) So much for consistency.

That actually is the policy. It is called FEBO (Start taking orders from: Front Even Back Odd) based on the flight number.