NRSA more valuable than Elite

Old Aug 22, 14, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, United Premier
NRSA more valuable than Elite

I just sent this to Delta.

While in flight, I noticed that the 3 economy comfort bulkhead seats held 2 pilots and a flight attendant, all in uniform. I am assuming they were deadheading. Prior to the flight, from check-in to right before boarding, I consistently checked for available seating in Economy Comfort. No seats, including these, were available to switch into. Once again, it appears as though Delta is placing it's non-revenue passengers in front of the revenue producing passengers. Please respond to me on whether or not these passengers were non-revenue passengers and why these seats were not available to your "elite" customers.
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, HH Diamond, SPG Lifetime Gold
DL is not going to tell you if they were NRSA, on work assignment or anything else. You are not entitled to this information. It's their seats to do what they want with. If they want to give up the revenue for them, that's their decision to forgo such. Also, DL does not guarantee that seats will be available for upgrade or premium seats will be available.

On the flip side, as a DM, I would prefer they be available to paying passengers and those who have earned the benefit. That I agree with. But at the end of the day, things happen and there are business reasons things are dowe, blocked, made available etc... We don't always like them and don't have to. But what you are asking for is unreasonable.
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Left or right bulk-head?

Possible that they were cleared into those seats when others were upgraded, so within 30 minutes of departure. The GA isn't going to go and find elites in the back to move to EC as their primary goal is to get the flight out on time.
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL FO, BA Bronze, Avis Preferred
Perhaps they were NRSP and needed to be on the flight; maybe they were rev passengers, or maybe the GA just didn't want to give you the seat.
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:49 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Couldn't it be that the bulkhead is reserved / blocked for special needs people, and not assigned til boarding time, thereby the non-revs getting it?

Last edited by davetravels; Aug 22, 14 at 1:58 pm
Old Aug 22, 14, 1:51 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
They could have been non-revenue positive space being sent to work a flight. What I can tell you is that NRSA seating is a crapshoot. I've been seated in everything from BE to the last row middle on a 753. NRSA travel is often difficult; I'm just glad to get on the flight and anything beyond a Y- middle is icing on the cake.
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, United Premier
Typically, these seats open up 24 hours ahead of time if someone with special accommodations has not already booked them. And I completely understand that NRSA travel is a complete crapshoot. But economy comfort seating is in place for the more loyal passengers (elites) or people who pay for it. It is a perk much like getting an upgrade. Delta has spent a considerable amount of money trying to make the overall travel experience better for those of us who spend a majority of our time in airports, hotels and planes. I would think they would want to continue that on each and every flight.

This was an oversold flight anyway. 26 on the upgrade list after clearing, 36 on standby.
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
Pretty simple to tell. NRSA wouldn't be on an oversold flight
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Can't imagine that DL will answer what is a totally inappropriate question by OP. Bottom line is that the seats may have been assigned because they were the best available and the crew were headed to an assignment OR they are the GA's friend and the GA found OP annoying.
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:40 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
the GA found OP annoying.
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by zetaman View Post
Typically, these seats open up 24 hours ahead of time if someone with special accommodations has not already booked them. And I completely understand that NRSA travel is a complete crapshoot. But economy comfort seating is in place for the more loyal passengers (elites) or people who pay for it. It is a perk much like getting an upgrade. Delta has spent a considerable amount of money trying to make the overall travel experience better for those of us who spend a majority of our time in airports, hotels and planes. I would think they would want to continue that on each and every flight.

This was an oversold flight anyway. 26 on the upgrade list after clearing, 36 on standby.
uh. Wait.

So if it was an oversold flight your now saying Delta left paying PAXs at the gate for Non-revs?

And if they are on company business then there is a million and one reasons why they could be in EC. Company travel doesn't always mean your in Y. Could be C/F/EC or Y depending on many things.

and they could be in uniform but paying PAX. I know plenty of Non-revs who have given up on flying stand by and pay to fly back home. Sounds like the typical NR hate thread with very little (if any) facts being pointed out. Good luck getting anything out of Delta though.
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta FO/1.3MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Gulp.

IBTL

In
Before
The
Lock
Old Aug 22, 14, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL PM (was DL DM for 3yrs), HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Maybe one day DL will treat all passengers like NSRA, sorted by priority of when they booked? Then no one could complain anymore: first come, first served.

That'd make for an interesting day at ATL!
Old Aug 22, 14, 3:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
What aircraft?
Old Aug 22, 14, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zetaman View Post
I just sent this to Delta.

While in flight, I noticed that the 3 economy comfort bulkhead seats held 2 pilots and a flight attendant, all in uniform. I am assuming they were deadheading. Prior to the flight, from check-in to right before boarding, I consistently checked for available seating in Economy Comfort. No seats, including these, were available to switch into. Once again, it appears as though Delta is placing it's non-revenue passengers in front of the revenue producing passengers. Please respond to me on whether or not these passengers were non-revenue passengers and why these seats were not available to your "elite" customers.
But.You.Donít.KNOW.

Maybe they were paying pax, just like you. Maybe they were NRSP. Maybe they are DL execs. Maybe they have Diamond status, trumping your Plat.

Bottom line, you donít know so instead, you just run with your assumptions. If your letter to DL was posed more like a query, telling them you may be confused about the UG rules and would appreciate some clarification instead of a making a DYKWIA demand, the result might be a more informed response.

But hey, at least you said "Please."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: