Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:09 am

Some of the suggestions have been tested earlier this year. I, for one, am in agreement that boarding by medallion level makes the process much less chaotic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...vel-dl358.html
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:13 am

Would seem to me, though, with different rounds of testing going on, this may be an enhancement Delta is looking to provide. All without cost to them or a marginalization of benefits for us!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even with announcements, it would help to have a display that anyone could read at any time stating what groups are currently boarding. As it is, when someone arrives at the gate area after boarding has begun, there's a tendency to either get in line or push to the podium to board and once the person is there, GAs have a tendency to let them through rather than forcing them to swim upstream back through the line.
And that would work better than This exactly how?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
My opinion:

Pre-board - people needing extra time
Zone 1: First Class
Zone 2: DM, PM, GM
Zone 3: FO, Amex, exit row, etc.
Zones 4 and 5: Y

DL originally had the system where FC was Zone 1, etc. but they changed that to the current system a few years ago. Just make it simple...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by N639DL
My opinion:

Pre-board - people needing extra time
Zone 1: First Class
Zone 2: DM, PM, GM
Zone 3: FO, Amex, exit row, etc.
Zones 4 and 5: Y

DL originally had the system where FC was Zone 1, etc. but they changed that to the current system a few years ago. Just make it simple...
Changing "AmEx" to "Zone 3" take away the "Priority Boarding" marketing perk of the AmEx card. That's probably the big reason why the zones before "Zone 1" aren't labeled as "Zone 1".

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I think DL should add at least three more boarding groups before Zone 1, just to make it more confusing.

Pre-boards
F
NON-REVS WHO DON'T CLEAR INTO F
DM
PM
GM
FO
Zone 0 (for Kettles)

then

Z 1-3.

Seriously though, DL should just use Zones 1-5 for everyone. Zone 1 is F class, Z2 is Sky, Z3 (old Z1), etc. Today's system is so confusing when pax in Z1 see half of the plane get in line before them, they all start wrestling into line thinking they missed the Z1 call. Make it simple.
Fixed that for you.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If they made the first checked bag free and charged non-elites to for use of bin space it would solve many problems.
This is the real solution.

Few seem to remember that previous to baggage fees, who went when in the boarding process was never an issue. There was never a rush at the gate. The overhead bins were never stuffed and didn't need to be built tough to handle all the luggage. Gate checking bags didn't ever happen.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by runninaway
And that would work better than This exactly how?
If a passenger did not or cannot hear the GA boarding announcement, being able to see on a monitor what zone is boarding will help to keep people from pushing up to the podium when they see that the flight is boarding and don't know what's going on or whether it's their turn yet.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
If a passenger did not or cannot hear the GA boarding announcement, being able to see on a monitor what zone is boarding will help to keep people from pushing up to the podium when they see that the flight is boarding and don't know what's going on or whether it's their turn yet.
What makes you think that the people who cannot read a simple term like "Zone 1" on a boarding pass would be able to read something on a monitor? What makes you think that people who could easily just ask another person waiting which Zone is boarding instead of crowding the podium would do anything different if the information is printed? Obviously these people think going to the podium is the right thing to do.

Besides, it's not a reading, listening, interpreting or understanding issue. For the most part, line jumpers, IMO and IME, know what they are doing and don't care. Worst case scenario, they have to wait until they would be boarding anyway. Best case scenario, they get on early. I've seen GAs take the boarding pass from those who line jump and tell the offender he/she needs to sit and wait until the GA can check something in the passenger record, which will be after everyone else boards. Until and unless there is a time-out for those who try to get on early, people will continue to try and get on early. If you are a Kettle, why not try? It's like a free lottery ticket: you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
DL1223, ATL-SEA yesterday, guy comes up and says they're testing a new baggage policy. You could turn your rollaboard into him and it would be placed by DL in the bin above your seat. You could also check through to your final destination.

I told the GA that it sounded like a nightmare and she agreed, saying she's not sure who comes up with that nutty stuff.

Boarded with FC, so I'm not sure how that went.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
DL1223, ATL-SEA yesterday, guy comes up and says they're testing a new baggage policy. You could turn your rollaboard into him and it would be placed by DL in the bin above your seat..
That sounds pretty odd.

David
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
This might help to demonstrate to other elites how often DMs get upgrades, which could encourage some to go for DM. So DL would gain even if it's not better for elites.
How would letting non-UG'd DMs board with FC (PREM) demonstrate how often DMs get UGs?

If anything, it would do just the opposite. When those boarding after PREM see a bunch of DMs sitting back in coach, it will be pretty obvious that those DMs missed the cut.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
DL1223, ATL-SEA yesterday, guy comes up and says they're testing a new baggage policy. You could turn your rollaboard into him and it would be placed by DL in the bin above your seat. ...
Originally Posted by DiverDave
That sounds pretty odd.

David
Thus would dieth another benefit of striving to attain elite status. (Hopefully, this will be an aberration.)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
Originally Posted by mudpuppy
Quote:

Originally Posted by WWGuy

I'm PM and get upgraded most of the time, so I find it hard to believe that boarding DM with PREM will thin the SKY boarding zone herd very much. It seems more like a DM consolation prize for missed upgrades when they occur.

I'm PM and get upgraded about 20% of the time. Flying out of ATL on a Monday morning with 60+ elites on a flight, this could make a big difference for the DMs.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What makes you think that the people who cannot read a simple term like "Zone 1" on a boarding pass would be able to read something on a monitor? What makes you think that people who could easily just ask another person waiting which Zone is boarding instead of crowding the podium would do anything different if the information is printed? Obviously these people think going to the podium is the right thing to do.

Besides, it's not a reading, listening, interpreting or understanding issue. For the most part, line jumpers, IMO and IME, know what they are doing and don't care. Worst case scenario, they have to wait until they would be boarding anyway. Best case scenario, they get on early. I've seen GAs take the boarding pass from those who line jump and tell the offender he/she needs to sit and wait until the GA can check something in the passenger record, which will be after everyone else boards. Until and unless there is a time-out for those who try to get on early, people will continue to try and get on early. If you are a Kettle, why not try? It's like a free lottery ticket: you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain.
IME sometimes the problem is that they cannot hear or understand the verbal announcements by the GA about which zone is currently boarding nor do most GAs announce the current zone as often as they should.

When I played GA for a day at the ATL DL DO, there was a polite but anxious and overly eager woman who ran up to try to board every time a zone was announced. English was not her native language and I was able to point to the zone on her boarding pass, but she obviously did not understand the verbal zone announcements. I really don't think she was trying to board early.

Personally I often arrive at the gate after boarding has started. It can be hard to accurately learn what zone is boarding, so I usually just approach the podium from the SkyPriority line without bothering unless they're obviously only doing pre boards. I tend to be in FC/BE so this doesn't constitute an attempt to board early. Until I see how many people are backed up in the jetway or can see a couple boarding passes that folks are holding, I have no clue what zone it is.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
How would letting non-UG'd DMs board with FC (PREM) demonstrate how often DMs get UGs?

If anything, it would do just the opposite. When those boarding after PREM see a bunch of DMs sitting back in coach, it will be pretty obvious that those DMs missed the cut.
Sometimes there will be DMs in coach and a huge number of passengers boarding when FC and DM is called but other times there will be few or no DMs in coach. People might learn that on their routes, the upgrade situation isn't as bad as they believe. On other routes, people will see lots of DMs in coach and maybe won't feel so bad that they didn't get upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.