Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
I think DL would be better served by coming up with a way to manage gate lice and by actually enforcing zone boarding. I've boarded with a GA that explicitly stated over the intercom "SKY Zone is not for Amex card holders. Amex card holders board with Zone 1." That boarding experience was noticeably more pleasant for me.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by Stripe
Indeed. How times have changed. Due to a decade or more of the legacy airlines racing each other to the bottom, WN, with its more orderly boarding, extra inch of seat pitch in Y, free bags, and more liberal ticket changes, is now one of the premium airlines for most coach pax.
except when you need to go to the bathroom and someone steals your seat on the bus...I mean plane
Old Aug 19, 2014, 8:58 am

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
I'd rather see EC as one boarding zone. I always have to scramble to get to the front of the SKY line because people invariably put their bags in the first few bins (the EC bins), even though they are heading back to Row 30. It would make life simpler if EC folks got to board right after PREM, then follow with the rest of SKY.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I think DL should add at least three more boarding groups before Zone 1, just to make it more confusing.

Pre-boards
F
DM
PM
GM
FO
Zone 0 (for Kettles)

then

Z 1-3.

Seriously though, DL should just use Zones 1-5 for everyone. Zone 1 is F class, Z2 is Sky, Z3 (old Z1), etc. Today's system is so confusing when pax in Z1 see half of the plane get in line before them, they all start wrestling into line thinking they missed the Z1 call. Make it simple.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD

Seriously though, DL should just use Zones 1-5 for everyone. Zone 1 is F class, Z2 is Sky, Z3 (old Z1), etc. Today's system is so confusing when pax in Z1 see half of the plane get in line before them, they all start wrestling into line thinking they missed the Z1 call. Make it simple.
This is spot on. If you are an ocassional traveler and not paying close attention, there is no reason for you to think that you are in GROUP/ZONE 1 boarding that you're not boarding at the begining
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Silver
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I think DL should add at least three more boarding groups before Zone 1, just to make it more confusing.

Pre-boards
F
DM
PM
GM
FO
Zone 0 (for Kettles)

then

Z 1-3.

Agree that it would make it simpler... but selling an Amex with "premium zone 3 boarding" doesn't have the same ring as zone 1
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WWGuy
I'm PM and get upgraded most of the time, so I find it hard to believe that boarding DM with PREM will thin the SKY boarding zone herd very much. It seems more like a DM consolation prize for missed upgrades when they occur.

I've heard that AS is doing something similar in regards to rewarding non-elite customers with priority boarding in return for giving up their (already huge) carry on bags. This will ease the pain for those boarding in zone 2 and higher, but will likely just further frustrate FO and DL Amex customers looking for an elite boarding experience in zone 1.

Both changes appear to be putting the same coins in new piles. Just my two cents.
This might help to demonstrate to other elites how often DMs get upgrades, which could encourage some to go for DM. So DL would gain even if it's not better for elites.

On the 757 and other aircraft with the left turn into the FC cabin, it makes sense to board some coach passengers at the same time as FC. Otherwise all that empty aisle real estate just goes to waste as FC passengers are getting settled.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lovecabo
I'd rather see EC as one boarding zone. I always have to scramble to get to the front of the SKY line because people invariably put their bags in the first few bins (the EC bins), even though they are heading back to Row 30. It would make life simpler if EC folks got to board right after PREM, then follow with the rest of SKY.
It would greatly help if FAs would pay attention during boarding and not allow coach passengers to place their bags in the FC bins, protect the EC bins from regular coach passengers, and save bin space for people in bulkhead and exit row seats.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
At MSP on Saturday, those volunteering to check their bag were then invited onto the aircraft. This was before those needing assistance or military were invited on. Then FC was called, with no mention of DM.

Ironic insofar that once you've given up your bag, there's really no rush or need to board early as you don't require overhead space any longer. Go figure.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:49 pm

LAX this weekend, very crowded in 53B gate. The GA made it clear that following the rules was going to be necessary in that tight space. He stated loudly, "look at your boarding pass next to year seat, if it does not say SKY, it is not your turn, etc. He turned away several people and made them wait in a corral of shame. It was great. I just wish they had given him a cattle prod.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 1:00 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
but selling an Amex with "premium zone 3 boarding" doesn't have the same ring as zone 1
While AmEx may advertise Zone 1 boarding, as soon as the AmEx card holder lines up, he/she finds out it is the third to board. Other than the first time this happens, the CC holder then knows "Zone 1" ain't the first zone! Make Zone 1 the F cabin; Zone 2 DMs, PMs, and GMs; Zone 3 FOs (yeah, me!), the AmEx holders, etc. I really doubt AmEx holders will get rid of their cards just because they have to wait as they do now anyway for Zone 1. AmEx could rationalize this with something like: "board right after First Class and SkyTeam elites".
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:25 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The thing I try, as strictly a trial, is to eliminate any pre-board announcement. If you are in a wheelchair, or standing there with two kids in your arms, the gate agent should discreetly scan your boarding pass and invite you to board without making an announcement.

It is the announcement itself that starts the rush toward the gate.

I have always wondered about a silent boarding process. No PA announcements until the last zone. Put a screen above the boarding pass scanner that displays, "Now boarding First Class. First Class only" without a word being uttered. Then, "SkyPriority and First Class may board now." And so forth. In my mind, the chaos begins the minute the PA announcement about pre-boarding for "those needing extra time" starts.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If they made the first checked bag free and charged non-elites to for use of bin space it would solve many problems.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If they made the first checked bag free and charged non-elites to for use of bin space it would solve many problems.
This. Think of the faster security lines too.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The thing I try, as strictly a trial, is to eliminate any pre-board announcement. If you are in a wheelchair, or standing there with two kids in your arms, the gate agent should discreetly scan your boarding pass and invite you to board without making an announcement.

It is the announcement itself that starts the rush toward the gate.

I have always wondered about a silent boarding process. No PA announcements until the last zone. Put a screen above the boarding pass scanner that displays, "Now boarding First Class. First Class only" without a word being uttered. Then, "SkyPriority and First Class may board now." And so forth. In my mind, the chaos begins the minute the PA announcement about pre-boarding for "those needing extra time" starts.
Even with announcements, it would help to have a display that anyone could read at any time stating what groups are currently boarding. As it is, when someone arrives at the gate area after boarding has begun, there's a tendency to either get in line or push to the podium to board and once the person is there, GAs have a tendency to let them through rather than forcing them to swim upstream back through the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.