Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is experimenting with new boarding processes (order of boarding))

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: None that I am proud of anymore
Another good reason to design aircraft with two boarding doors forward of the wing and airports to design jetway loading bridges to flex to meet the 2nd door.
The door 1L would still be required for FAA safety design and for airports with first generation jetway loading bridges !

Door 2L keeps the First/Business class cabin sterile of coach encroachment on the overhead bins that they are not supposed to be using !

Makes for faster boarding without jamming up boarding thru a single badly located boarding door !

The 767 aircraft could and should have been designed this way !
Another aircraft design just doubling the boarding mess down two aisles !

At least when the DC10 L1011 747 757 came along there was a better plan in boarding the masses in a timely fashion.

Wake up Boeing and Airbus sell a better customer friendly airframe to the airlines - AND - Airlines buy it when they do.

And all concerned appreciate the extra door(s) for fast safe evacuation in an emergency !
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by BobH
It might work if they're using a 757 and the second door -- once on the plane FC turns the the left and everyone else....

Bob H
I've always wondered why when mid- and double-door boarding they didn't do FC+Sky simultaneously.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:09 am

New Boarding Test

Traveling from Atlanta to DFW today.
GA announced they are testing a new boarding procedure. He also said its been well received. Gave us a card to send feedback.
I'm not sure of the entire new process, but they did board all Diamonds with First Class.
Preboards were first, and that did include car seats and strollers. I agree with car seats, not strollers.
Since I got on after pre boards, not sure how the rest of the new process went. Anyone else experienced?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
So just what is this new boarding procedure? So far all I hear is that all Diamonds get to board with F. Not a big deal IMO but did they change anything else?
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:05 am

ATL to SFO this morning also boarded this way. First + Diamonds, Sky + EC, then presumably regular boarding.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
Interesting. I'm guessing it doesn't have a huge impact since Diamonds usually have a pretty good UG rate, and I'd venture to guess the majority of EC seats are booked by SKY already.

It's a nice gesture to Diamonds to let them board with FC, recognizing their status and allowing them to board before the gate lice really congregate.

As a lowly Gold, the changes will have minimal impact on my boarding, but it looks fine in concept. I do wish they'd find a way to keep the Zone 1 folks from crowding out the SKY folks, but I don't see an easy solution there.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Some recent discussion on "new boarding procedure tests:"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-together.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-boarding.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-boarding.html
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Sousaphil
Interesting. I'm guessing it doesn't have a huge impact since Diamonds usually have a pretty good UG rate anyway, --.

It's a nice gesture to Diamonds to let them board with FC, recognizing their status and allowing them to board before the gate lice really congregate.
Agree with both. When I have not got upgraded and depending on day, time, route more than half the plane can be Medallion - so helps. Still think it would be nice to do someting for PM/GM.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
I think on this forum I may the only one that pays full F fare, but this certainly cheapens that.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
Originally Posted by Minneapolis
I think on this forum I may the only one that pays full F fare, but this certainly cheapens that.
I too am NFY. I agree, it devalues my business.

Actually, my experience is that boarding cowbells with F, will simply codify what happens now. I'm sure I'll get slammed for saying it, but, it's what I see.

All the best, James
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
I'd still like to see something done to relieve the bottleneck at the entrance of the boarding lanes, even if it's minor. I'm not saying they should follow UA or WN, but there has to be something.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Agree with the comments. Kettle need to be kept in their pen especially those who do not read/understand signage. I think adding signage and instructions in other languages would help this. Furthermore, Double/Triple/Quadruple Diamond DYKWIA should be boarding before first IMO.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Rumour has it that you board before the pilot Michael.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Rumour has it that you board before the pilot Michael.
I won't deny that this has happened a few times...
Old Sep 30, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
On a midweek flight to a predominately tourist destination, this probably won't make a hill of beans difference since there will be a relatively low percentage (especially Diamonds) of the total manifest.

However...on a Monday morning or Thursday evening flight from a major business center to a hub this will add to the chaos as these tend to be AllMedallion® flights. The F cabin (except on 757s) will be inconvenienced with the additional Diamonds crowding on at the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.