Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MSP - sleeping mats, blankets, and pillows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, United

Something new for me as last week we burned some miles and ended up getting into MSP at midnight only to take the 5am to ATL. Not worth getting a hotel room so we planned to find a quiet place to sleep for a few hours.

Much to our surprise at MSP they put out sleeping mats and a guy on a cart came around with blankets and pillows. The mats are a little grubby so we used a blanket to cover them and napped away until a mouse went cruising by.

At around 4:00 am we got a wake up greeting from a Delta employee letting us know the flight to ATL was leaving out of gate something - something. We had enough time to roust ourselves and head to restroom before boarding the flight.

Last edited by FlyingUnderTheRadar; Aug 17, 2014 at 10:38 am
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
--- ended up getting into MSP at midnight only to take the 5am to ATL. Not worth getting a hotel room so we planned to find a quiet place to sleep for a few hours.

Much to our surprise at MSP they put out sleeping mats and a guy on a cart came around with blankets and pillows. The mats are a little grubby so we used a blanket to cover them and napped away until a mouse went cruising by.
SEAT 2A in the Alaska forum actually has a thread on where all the best sleeping places are in airports. I will try and post a link when I get chance.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Something new for me as last week we burned some miles and ended up getting into MSP at midnight only to take the 5am to ATL. Not worth getting a hotel room so we planned to find a quiet place to sleep for a few hours.

At around 4:00 am we got a wake up greeting from a Delta employee letting us know the flight to ATL was leaving out of gate something - something. We had enough time to roast ourselves and head to restroom before boarding the flight.
The mouse was waiting for the SC to open
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seat 2A makes a science - or is it art of this.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/3421279-post8.html
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I slept in the Juneau airport for 4 hours or so in June, as there were no reasonably priced hotel rooms available (there was a large convention of Alaska native peoples in town who took all of the rooms); I only needed 4 hours of hotel room time as I did not get back to JNU until midnight from Whitehorse, Yukon via bus, train, the Alaska Marine Highway and a cab. I found a comfy and semi-private spot in a pay phone alcove. I ended up making friends with a Juneau police officer who checked on my well being.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
SEAT 2A in the Alaska forum actually has a thread on where all the best sleeping places are in airports. I will try and post a link when I get chance.
Do you mean the sleeping in airports website?

BTW I've seen MSP put out the mats and blankets when folks are stuck during winter IROPs. The airport seems to own a lot of this equipment.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Wow, awesome!

I had a miserable night on the floor at JFK last month (VA flight from London landed at 11pm, Flight to CLE at 8am). I tried to recheck my bags at the Delta counter only to be told (condescendingly) they will reopen at 5am.

I proceed to walk over to their sky priority rug (next to the windows, behind the desks) and set up my camp site much to those Delta employee's disdain.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is this a new elite benefit? If you're stranded, sleep on the SkyPriority rug.
I guess it's a good way to have someone wake you when the counter opens in the morning.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:42 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No, Seat 2A has his own best airports and best places in airports to sleep. But he comes prepared for it with a mat, pillow, small blanket and alarm clock. He definitely has it down to a science (or is it an art as mentioned above?!).
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by fti
No, Seat 2A has his own best airports and best places in airports to sleep. But he comes prepared for it with a mat, pillow, small blanket and alarm clock. He definitely has it down to a science (or is it an art as mentioned above?!).
So much for Seat 2A suggesting FC travel.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That as well -but he has written Trip reports about sleeping in airports. ^
Old Aug 17, 2014, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He does that as well - and sleeps on trains, boats and ferries.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 2:35 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Actually he sleeps in airports sometimes while flying international first class.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Seat 2A is recuperating from back surgery (12 Aug), so I suspect these escapades will likely be on hiatus for awhile ...
Old Aug 17, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by jrl767
Seat 2A is recuperating from back surgery ...
From sleeping in airports?

(I don't know the person but I do wish them well -- back surgery is not fun)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.