Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Around the World Award & Transfer Miles

Around the World Award & Transfer Miles

Old Sep 3, 14, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by LivingInASuitcaseForALiving View Post
Delta's "Award Trip Protection" insurance for this is $27 per person (since we booked on separate tickets). Is it worth it? Seems to be a lot of qualifications around what is/isn't covered. but $27 seems oddly cheap for a trip of this magnitude.
The long and short of it is the most they'll ever pay out for trip cancellation is the redeposit fee. So it's pretty cheap. In terms of medical coverage, it's middle of the road from what I can tell. Keep an eye out for pre-existing conditions, adventure travel and alcohol use when reviewing the policy.
Old Sep 3, 14, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.6 MM; Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Gold
Just booked!! We booked on separate tickets at the same time and got close to our ideal itinerary, which I am incredibly happy with given that we booked this only 4-5 weeks in advance. Not counting side-trips we'll be booking separately during our stop-overs, we'll be flying 55k+ miles over the course of 3 months, hitting 6 continents (no routing to Antarctica, such BS).

A couple legs didn't have business class available, only coach, so we'll be calling back every so often checking on alternative availability/routing as the trip gets closer.

But overall, we're incredibly excited!
I bolded the above, I was wondering if there were restrictions on the # of miles you can fly on this award...the paid RTW ticket (and the tool) limits it to 38k miles. Good to know, thanks!

I can't find a thing on dl.com regarding how to do this, it directs you to the skyteam site, but still no option to plot out the rounting for an award tix??

Any help would be appreciated or links. Thanks
Old Sep 4, 14, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Just booked!! We booked on separate tickets at the same time and got close to our ideal itinerary, which I am incredibly happy with given that we booked this only 4-5 weeks in advance. Not counting side-trips we'll be booking separately during our stop-overs, we'll be flying 55k+ miles over the course of 3 months, hitting 6 continents (no routing to Antarctica, such BS).

A couple legs didn't have business class available, only coach, so we'll be calling back every so often checking on alternative availability/routing as the trip gets closer.

But overall, we're incredibly excited!
So what is your routing?? I am starting to plan my own as I am sitting on 552k and will cross the coveted 2 biz class tix in two days time.

I would like to hit Antarctica as well, just not sure how doable it is!

Anyone have any creative ways of hitting all <6> continents Skyteam flies to??
Old Sep 4, 14, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by JBJ2435 View Post
I bolded the above, I was wondering if there were restrictions on the # of miles you can fly on this award...the paid RTW ticket (and the tool) limits it to 38k miles. Good to know, thanks!

I can't find a thing on dl.com regarding how to do this, it directs you to the skyteam site, but still no option to plot out the rounting for an award tix??

Any help would be appreciated or links. Thanks
These three are all quite informative:

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/top-...elta-skymiles/
http://pointmetotheplane.boardingare...es-how-to-rtw/
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/01/vide...-world-ticket/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: