Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Outbound leg canceled randomly while in airport [ATL]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Outbound leg canceled randomly while in airport [ATL]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Exclamation Outbound leg canceled randomly while in airport [ATL]

I did same day r/t from MIA to BNA today since I had a two hour meeting to attend. I got to the airport early and did standby for an earlier flight to ATL and MIA. I made the earlier flight to ATL and then went to the gate for the MIA flight. The agent noticed I was number five on the standby list and I waited around the gate. The agent boarded and as zone four was boarding I noticed my name was removed from the standby list and my entire trip on the Delta app (and website) was removed. I called the Diamond desk since the agent was tell boarding the flight. They noticed that my flight was canceled by someone at the airport. She was able to get me back on standby for the earlier flight, but had to call someone for the confirmed later flight. She was able to revert my flights back to normal. The gate agent then called a red coat since this was a weird situation and we wanted to know who canceled it. I only spoke to the Sky Club agent and the gate agent about my flights. The red coat came and she was horrible! She texted on her phone before she spoke to me, messed around on the computer, and then said "Your flights are fine. I can't see who deleted it. Only the Diamond desk can." Lol, I replied by asking her to call someone then I asked her if "she cared about this situation?" She just looked at me so I said forget it and the gate agent recognized the red coat issue. She called me over and processed the standby / got me on the flight. Apologized and was very nice. The gate agent deserves to be a red coat! and I told her that (as well as DL.com).

How strange is it that someone at the ATL canceled my flights? Anyone had this happen? If I wasn't proactive in seeing my flights were gone then I would have been skipped on the standby list (since I was removed) and missed the flight. Plus I didn't have the flight back to my origin anymore.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
The only think I can think of is if you left a paper BP anywhere or something like that, some unsavory individual has all the information they need to cancel your trip. Hence why I never use paper BPs anymore and keep any paper ones that I receive along the way in my bag and toss at home.

OR, it could just be DL IT being a mess....
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
OR, it could just be DL IT being a mess....
+1 on the big IT mess theory. A few weeks ago I was flying PBI-ATL-DCA that got re-ticketed due to IROPS where I ended up protected on multiple flights in case I missed my connection. Upon checking in using the kiosk, DL IT kicked me off of every single flight on my itinerary. Checked with a ticketing agent, she put me back on the flights, and it kicked me off again. When the agent placed me back on the protected flights, the system then automatically added me back to my original flight, to which she exclaimed "how did it do that?".

DL IT can be VERY finicky.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If there was a flight delay, even by only a few minutes, OP could ahve been Vipered off of the late flights and possibly rebooked to some crazy connection the next day. High tier elites seem to be more at risk for having DL's computer "help" them in this way.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:24 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Delta IT has never liked when I've had round trip flights on the same-day.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
My guess is that when you cleared you as stand-by for your first flight they didn't correctly process you to remove you from the flight on which you were confirmed, but no longer traveling. When that flight departed and you weren't on it, you were cancelled as a no-show which would cancel all remaing segments in your PNR.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta DM
Originally Posted by 777Pax
My guess is that when you cleared you as stand-by for your first flight they didn't correctly process you to remove you from the flight on which you were confirmed, but no longer traveling. When that flight departed and you weren't on it, you were cancelled as a no-show which would cancel all remaing segments in your PNR.
This is definitely what happened. I made the earlier flight to ATL but when I was a no-show for the later ATL flight then they cancelled everything. I would think the Diamond desk would have said that BNA canceled my flights though. Not someone at the ATL airport...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by 777Pax
I had that happen as a new FF back in the day. When I showed up for my return from TPA-DTW, the agent berated me for no showing for my flight and having the audacity to show up for my return. She was seriously talking/yelling down/at me. As a 24 year old brand new flyer I was quite upset. She told me it was my responsibility to make sure the gate in DTW processed my ticket properly, blah blah blah.

It was bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.