Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tough day in ATL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Tough day in ATL

I was set to land at 3:12 this afternoon from Puerto Rico (SJU) with a connection to SEA at 4:40. All set up for a good flight, right?

Then, as we were over ATL around 3pm, came "we are holding due to weather" followed by "still holding" 20 minutes later. Yet another 20 min and we were told that we had to go down to Columbus GA for fuel.

After we had landed the captain was kind enough to update us saying that we were number 2 in line for fuel and should be on our way soon. Oh was he wrong. LOL the number 2 in line became "n" and the "soon" became and hour. Then 2 hours, the 3 hours and finally we were told "the door is closed, finally, yay yay" type of statement.

First time I have experienced 4 hours on the termac (1.8 mm flier) after a 4 hour flight and got to say, it is nasty!!! The smell, the non-AC, the, the bathrooms, running out of water, captain coming back to cary pets out (nice gesture btw).

Anyway, now 12 hours later I am still in ATL with a HUGE line anywhere. Glad I have a boarding pass for the next SEA flight out of here is all I can say.

Bet some of you guys are stuck here too. Lol

-ok

Last edited by RSSrsvp; Aug 11, 2014 at 5:38 am Reason: corrected airport code
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen

.... captain coming back to cary pets out (nice gesture btw).
How awesome of the captain!

Last night was bad in ATL too, lots of summer storms.

Good luck getting home!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Good job Captain. ^ This happens this time of year. It's called weather.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by kettle1
Good job Captain. ^ This happens this time of year. It's called weather.
Heh, for sure. No real complaints here. Been stuck plenty if times. BUT, 4 hours on the termac, NASTY! Lol
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler
My mom flew srq-atl-msp yesterday. Let's just say that she landed this morning in msp at 445am. There were thousands of people stuck and the lines were super long.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
FlightAware has comprehensive data that address single-day storms pretty cleanly. Data by carrier are operating carrier, not marketing carrier, so one needs to look for the DL Connection carriers separately.

https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/yesterday

Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yeah, I got stuck in it to. I got in to ATL around 2 pm on an on-time flight just before the storms started. Once they did, the airport shut down for some time and had a ground stop from something like 2:30-4:30, and that messed everything up. I ended up on a five hour delayed flight as our inbound plane came in almost on-time, but our pilots were on a flight from SDF that couldn't take off. It was rather interesting to people watch...some people just took it and some people were swearing they'd never fly DL again. I got into BOS around 2 AM and there were two flights from ATL that came in after ours. Just one of those ATL summer days.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:49 am

Little but of negative press on this:
http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/h...ppointe/ngyT8/

Funny how it plays that Delta is the only airline at Hartsfield. It seems as if people were upset for airlines not being more accommodating....not sure what they could have done...cots? Hotel rooms :/
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by Klarity7
Little but of negative press on this:
http://m.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/h...ppointe/ngyT8/

Funny how it plays that Delta is the only airline at Hartsfield. It seems as if people were upset for airlines not being more accommodating....not sure what they could have done...cots? Hotel rooms :/
It's an ugly fact that it is to an airlines' advantage to not cancel flights, but to run them anyway regardless of passenger impact.

Running the flight anyway positions the equipment and crew correctly, if thousands of passengers are stranded the airline can just shrug and say "weather"

Last edited by hazelrah; Aug 9, 2014 at 2:15 pm
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:59 pm

It was bedlam in terminal A at 1am this morning when my flight frm STL arrived after a 7 hour delay. Very long line for ticket agents. Nothing much Delta could do about the weather. I retreated to terminal E, which was mostly empty, and found one of the row of seats that did not have a divider to sleep on. Just wish they would turn off all the public announcements at night and CNN news! I really do not wish to hear from the mayor of Atlanta at 4 in the morning.

And how come the Skyclubs are not kept open when such an event occurs.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Things were not much better today as the fallout continued. I was on an MCO flight that cancelled, adding to the chaos. The A18 service center line was down past the SC. The good news is that the SC'S were tolerable, even B10.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by fpmurphy
It was bedlam in terminal A at 1am this morning when my flight frm STL arrived after a 7 hour delay. Very long line for ticket agents. Nothing much Delta could do about the weather. I retreated to terminal E, which was mostly empty, and found one of the row of seats that did not have a divider to sleep on. Just wish they would turn off all the public announcements at night and CNN news! I really do not wish to hear from the mayor of Atlanta at 4 in the morning.

And how come the Skyclubs are not kept open when such an event occurs.
About twenty years ago I arrived late into MIA, and my parents were due early next morning. I thought I'd just spend the night at the airport, so I found a row of seats without a divider, laid down, and fell asleep.

Some time later I woke up feeling an earthquake. Well, not quite, a couple of guys were moving the row so they could clean that section. Quite startled I looked at one of the guys, who just said "we didn't want to wake you up".

I went back to sleep.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marr Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents
I was set to fly GSO-ATL-BWI yesterday. Our departure from GSO was set for 2:05p and were boarded, out to the tarmac back then back to the gate. We finally landed in ATL at 5:00p and I waited in the A terminal until we boarded for BWI at 3:00a this morning. We finally landed at BWI this morning at 4:30a.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by ontherun
I was set to fly GSO-ATL-BWI yesterday. Our departure from GSO was set for 2:05p and were boarded, out to the tarmac back then back to the gate. We finally landed in ATL at 5:00p and I waited in the A terminal until we boarded for BWI at 3:00a this morning. We finally landed at BWI this morning at 4:30a.
Apparently all those late flights led to crew timing Issues today. The 7:15 AM IAH-ATL flight today was delayed two hours for this reason.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Things were not much better today as the fallout continued. I was on an MCO flight that cancelled, adding to the chaos
DL protected me with a seat (and an upgrade) on the 9am ATL-MCO. Pilot on board but no copilot. Pilot announced that he could not get though to crew scheduling by phone as they were busy, and was going to deplane and go walkabout until he found a copilot who was deadheading. That's the sort of pilot I want flying the plane I am on! Got initiative.

Took about an hour to sort out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.