Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Old Dec 9, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
US permanent resident, Canadian passport.

US to Canada online check in (mobile) is no problem.

Canada to US online check in (mobile) does not work.
It asks for passport info, then asks for a return date. If you do not specify a return date it will not let you check in. I realize you could lie and specify a date, then it would probably work as mentioned before, but if you are being truthful and do not have a scheduled return date you cannot check in.

There was no place to enter green card info.

I find this ludicrous as I did not have to provide green card or return date while checking in at the airport. Although perhaps due to preclearance Delta doesn't bother to check as you aren't going to get very far if you don't have valid documents versus non preclearance where they would have to fly you back. So maybe not so ludicrous, but at least it should give you a check box for permanent residents of the destination country.
DBruce49 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by defrosted
US permanent resident, Canadian passport.

US to Canada online check in (mobile) is no problem.

Canada to US online check in (mobile) does not work.
It asks for passport info, then asks for a return date. If you do not specify a return date it will not let you check in. I realize you could lie and specify a date, then it would probably work as mentioned before, but if you are being truthful and do not have a scheduled return date you cannot check in.

There was no place to enter green card info.

I find this ludicrous as I did not have to provide green card or return date while checking in at the airport. Although perhaps due to preclearance Delta doesn't bother to check as you aren't going to get very far if you don't have valid documents versus non preclearance where they would have to fly you back. So maybe not so ludicrous, but at least it should give you a check box for permanent residents of the destination country.
Unfortunately this has been the case for many years now. I haven't heard of any signs this will be changing soon. You must check-in at the airport for INTL -USA flights as a GC holder if you don't have another flight departing the USA sometime in the future.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
The problem is endemic on Delta, and worse on United.

The foreign flag carriers have no such problem. ( Air France, KLM, etc etc) , so the problem is unique to Delta and Untied as far as I have seen. If it were a regulation issue, I am sure it would not work on BA, AF etc.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by WhiskeyBravo
Unfortunately this has been the case for many years now. I haven't heard of any signs this will be changing soon. You must check-in at the airport for INTL -USA flights as a GC holder if you don't have another flight departing the USA sometime in the future.
I got the survey asking about my check in experience. It asked if I used online check in, I said no, then it asked if I was aware of online check in and would use it in the future?! Seriously? So I filled up the comment section, not that I think it will have any effect but it made me feel a little better.

I made sure to include the fact that it doesn't let me online check in, but lets me use the (agent less) kiosk to check in just fine. That made a lot of sense.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
The problem still persists. My wife, who has GE, green card & Canadian passport, cannot get through OLCI on a one-way ticket home to the US. It wants to know her address while "visiting" the US and her date of return. I reported 2 1/2 years ago that if you put in a date, it will let you continue - that was on the advice of a telephone agent - but I'm still not comfortable with that approach in that it's not 100% truthful if one does not have a date of return planned. Undoubtedly she will return to visit Canada in a few months but at a date unknown.

It is ridiculous that this has not been resolved by Delta while so-called lesser carriers such as Norwegian handle if fine (ex-UK on a one-way). Fortunately ICE has their act together and it's handled correctly at the GE kiosks so long one scans the green card and not the passport.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by DBruce49
....cannot get through OLCI....
Ive flown 100s of times in the last 10 years, and hardly ever used On Line Check In. Why is it a big deal if OLCI doesnt function properly? It only takes a minute to use the airport kiosks.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by RRDD

Ive flown 100s of times in the last 10 years, and hardly ever used On Line Check In. Why is it a big deal if OLCI doesnt function properly? It only takes a minute to use the airport kiosks.
While I agree it isn't a big deal, since you have to get there early enough to clear customs. But I can also see where checking in online, in advance of getting to the airport could avoid last minute hassles. If this thread was not about cross border with preclearance I would argue checking in online in advance allows you to arrive at the airport later especially if not checking bags.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM

Because it doesn't work at the kiosks either. You actually have to stand in line at the counter to get the agent to push some extra buttons.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by drminn
Because it doesn't work at the kiosks either. You actually have to stand in line at the counter to get the agent to push some extra buttons.
I did not find that to be true, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was able to use the kiosk without intervention from an agent.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by defrosted
I did not find that to be true, as I mentioned earlier in the thread I was able to use the kiosk without intervention from an agent.
I have never been able to use a kiosk as there's no way to scan a GC! So how do you do it? Whether you're checking a bag, or not, the agent still needs to verify your info in order to print "DOCS OK" on the boarding pass. At least that's how I have to do it!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:01 am

I just put in a dummy return date. OLCI saves hassles if I arrive at the airport at T-59 with no checked luggage. I would be denied boarding or access through security otherwise.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:11 am

It's a huge deal because it means you need to be at the airport a lot earlier to not miss check in time cutoffs. Also, for those going carry-on only, having to stand in the queue can take 30 minutes which is wasted.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I’ve flown 100’s of times in the last 10 years, and hardly ever used On Line Check In. Why is it a big deal if OLCI doesn’t function properly? It only takes a minute to use the airport kiosks.

What a silly question (no offense intended), IMO..

For one, for connecting flights. One has to go through immigration and customs to only check in, then go back through the same again. Can easily take an hour and make one miss a connection.

Second, if departing from the airport directly, why make a detour to go to check-in desks or kiosks (which usually don't work anyway - for what the user posted here certainly won't and will have the very same problem, so have to go and stand in line for check-in desks) vs. go directly to security? Takes several minutes more, thus having to arrive at airport earlier, or cutting down time to try to get something to eat inside.

And so on..
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by audidudi
I have never been able to use a kiosk as there's no way to scan a GC! So how do you do it? Whether you're checking a bag, or not, the agent still needs to verify your info in order to print "DOCS OK" on the boarding pass. At least that's how I have to do it!
+1.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, HHD, MG
Flying many times from AMS, we have never been able to use OLCI, always have to go to the KLM Skypriority check-in counter (mercifully there is hardly ever a significant wait, unlike the regular check-in line). To our surprise, last week when flying back via Paris on AF we were able to use OLCI via the AF website, with our electronic boarding passes emailed to us, just had to get GC numbers entered at the gate for transcon flight at CDG.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.