Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Delta announced numerous changes to its Pacific operations on 31 July 2014.

Changes include numerous downgauges from 747s to other aircraft as well as several discontinued routes.

Delta Announces Cutbacks in the Pacific
Changes Include Smaller Aircraft and Discontinued Routes

Delta announced significant cutbacks in its Pacific division on Thursday in a memo to its employees. The airline has been reducing the size of its Tokyo hub at Narita International Airport for some time and is eliminating several routes while downgauging the aircraft used on other routes. It will also continue to expand its Seattle hub and increase non-stop routes from there.

Delta is cancelling its Tokyo (Narita)-Hong Kong and Nagoya-Manila routes on October 26 of this year. It will continue to offer non-stop service to Hong Kong from Seattle and will service Manila from Tokyo...
<SNIP>
Print Wikipost

Delta Cutting Back in the Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I guess DL is not interested in EastCoast folk anymore.
Only a loony would fly 6 hours across the continent to connect to another 12 hours flight from SEA to Asia.
AA and UA must be delighted by this irrationality.

Maybe just dismantle DTW, ship it to SEA and get it over with...
Because, apparently, SEA is at the end of the earth!

SEA is DL's Pacific hub of choice. Get used to it or find another airline!
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by 98103
I am aghast that they didn't get the memo. Everything revolves around the eastern half of the country.

Wouldn't be surprised to see SEA-MNL added in the next year or two
+1 This reminds me of the attitude in the 70's and 80's that somehow SEA was at the end of the earth. "Isn't it right next to Alaska?"
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Natl Exec
Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
I wonder what these cutbacks portend for a KE JV. Is that now dead? Or does that become more likely as DL cuts capacity?
This is what I am hoping for (I know, wishful thinking). I just filled out a targeted survey from Delta last week stating my displeasure in partner options heading to Asia.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Perhaps DL and KE will make nice and become friends again.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: Amex-gold, Hainan-gold, Mrt-LT Titanium
Originally Posted by formeraa

SEA is DL's Pacific hub of choice. Get used to it or find another airline!
Already done with delta dumb, went to UA, and the new 787's on Hianian Air for the china trips.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Does anyone know what the "simplified service" entails in premium cabins in beach markets to/from NRT and NRT-Micronesia? The employee letter said DL was not generating revenue premiums because the product was inferior to other competition….so it seems odd to dumb down the service even more if it's already uncompetitive. Am I missing something? Feel bad for the Asian FA's being affected and the KIX/NGO base closures.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:10 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I checked some dates in Nov/Dec and the SEA flight is scheduled to leave 1445 and arrive HKG 2135, later than before. So it looks like there may indeed be a change in schedule to accommodate connections from the east.

However those dates also still show the NRT-HKG route as available, so who knows.
The flight tomorrow leaves at 14:21, anything after 12:00 is an easy connection.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
I'd expect DL to cut NRT-PVG/PDX/TPE next and then start SEA-TPE nonstop.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I did some dummy bookings at Delta.com and they are still selling NRT-HKG through February 2015, which is as far ahead as I looked. I am scheduled on that segment twice in October and once in November. I will feel better to get some certainty on this.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I guess DL is not interested in EastCoast folk anymore.
Only a loony would fly 6 hours across the continent to connect to another 12 hours flight from SEA to Asia.
AA and UA must be delighted by this irrationality.

Maybe just dismantle DTW, ship it to SEA and get it over with...
SEA makes the most sense for any Asian destination. DTW is too far east for 2/3 of the country. It's not all about the east coast.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL
whew!

Gawd I'm glad booked my O SkyPesos ticket to HKG for Sept instead of Oct. BWI-DTW-SEA-HKG-NRT-ATL-BWI with no more than 3 hrs on the ground anywhere. But I guess my 747 upper deck experience NRT-ATL (Oct 3) will now be history? When will seat selection open for the 777?

One might think they would announce to their cargo, ehr, customers at the same time. Orion's post makes me hopeful. Will they simply cancel your flight out of HKG and tell you "too bad"? This is pretty poor planning even for the IT wizards at DL.

Last edited by rjpjr; Jul 31, 2014 at 7:00 pm Reason: additional thought
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:17 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Nugget_Oz
For a premium flyer out of JFK it's still a one stop flight all in BE (come 2015). For non-premium flyer (which is the vast majority of the aircraft) from any East Coast port your getting direct from the US to HKG instead of doing skips to on both side of the ocean. To be honest flying regularly over the Pacific I prefer the direct of the West Coast as opposed to a longer flight out of some port on the East Coast.
I don't think you realize how far SEA and HKG are apart -- 6500 miles.

The Cathay nonstop from JFK to HKG takes 15:50. SEA-HKG alone clocks in at 14:15. Unless there's a plan to reinstate service from DTW or start a nonstop to HKG, Delta simply isn't a competitive option for traveling to HKG from the east coast. Connecting through NRT takes extra time versus a nonstop, but the total time if the connection is the same length as SEA blocks in at 1:55 shorter.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
SEA makes the most sense for any Asian destination. DTW is too far east for 2/3 of the country. It's not all about the east coast.
You might want to study great circle routes and population distribution maps.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:37 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You might want to study great circle routes and population distribution maps.
"Population distribution maps" assumes a uniform distribution of people wanting to travel to HKG. May be true, may not be true.

Last edited by TheMadBrewer; Jul 31, 2014 at 8:56 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rjpjr
Gawd I'm glad booked my O SkyPesos ticket to HKG for Sept instead of Oct. BWI-DTW-SEA-HKG-NRT-ATL-BWI with no more than 3 hrs on the ground anywhere. But I guess my 747 upper deck experience NRT-ATL (Oct 3) will now be history? When will seat selection open for the 777?

One might think they would announce to their cargo, ehr, customers at the same time. Orion's post makes me hopeful. Will they simply cancel your flight out of HKG and tell you "too bad"? This is pretty poor planning even for the IT wizards at DL.
Things won't be getting changed that quickly... look towards later in Oct and Nov for equip swaps. Your 747 NRT-ATL in early Oct should be safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.