Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Boeing 747: The beginning of the end for the Queen of the Skies at Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rylan
Delta, which currently has 16 Boeing 747-400s, announced plans to retire four of them by the end of 2014.

DL 747 fleet operation

Delta first operated the 747 in the 1970s and retired its 747-100s in 1976.

It regained 747s with the merger with Northwest.

Delta to Begin to Retire Boeing 747s
Delta Air Lines announced plans to retire 25% of its 747 fleet in 2014. The Atlanta-based airline currently operates 16 747-400 aircraft. The decision was announced in a memo to its pilots on Wednesday....
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC

Delta announced to its pilots today that three 747s will be retired at the end of the peak summer flying period, in September. One additional 747 will be retired at the end of the year.

The retirement announcement comes in advance of what Delta described as a company-wide announcement about its Asia-Pacific plans, later this week.

Delta currently operates 16 747s, 4 of them it owns, 9 on operating leases and 3 on capital leases. I suspect these are lease returns.

Interestingly, Delta is slated to get four A333s next year, though deliveries have slipped from January to May or later.

Here's the text of the update sent to pilots:

With respect to the 747, last week Delta’s Network and Finance teams completed a re-evaluation of options to improve our international performance.

This analysis resulted in a decision to retire three 747-400 aircraft by the end of September, and an additional 747 before the end of the year. When we see opportunities to make the right long-term decisions for our customers, employees and the Company’s profitability, we make them as quickly as possible — consistent with the principle that “speed wins” as described in Rules of the Road.

By taking this step, we have the opportunity to re-gauge some capacity, primarily to help improve the Pacific entity’s performance.**Because of the accelerated 747 retirements, we have not awarded any of the posted 747 vacancies on this AE.

We will not, however, displace any 747 pilots in 2014.

We are also actively assessing options to reduce the need for any 747 Captain displacements in 2015 due to the accelerated retirement of these four aircraft.

We have notified the Association of these developments, and look forward to engaging in a discussion on mitigating displacements. More detail about our overall Asia-Pacific strategy will be shared company-wide this week. Please stay tuned.

Suddenly the decision to take the 747 off of NRT-JFK-TLV makes a lot more sense. That alone, I think, would fund the three retirements. A fourth should be easy to scrounge up out of the Asian beach markets.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I've never been on one.

I think I need to take a trip to Asia before they retire this beauty.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Sad, but such things have to happen.

EDIT:

I've never been on one.

Yes, you do. And hopefully upstairs :-)
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is so sad, especially with those wonderful new BE seats.

I wonder whether the recent security issues for TLV flights have hastened the decision. I would expect passenger traffic in the TLV market to be down.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is so sad, especially with those wonderful new BE seats.

I wonder whether the recent security issues for TLV flights have hastened the decision. I would expect passenger traffic in the TLV market to be down.
I would think it has more to do with Asia being an absolute dog of a market lately.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would think it has more to do with Asia being an absolute dog of a market lately.
That too, but someone upthread pointed out that the TLV route can explain the three 747s that are retiring at the end of the summer.

BTW, what happened to the old PMNW 747-200s? At some point, one that hadn't been refurbished was used as a reserve aircraft at MSP. It was fun with the retro chandeliers and circular staircase, although the small bins were obviously from a different era.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Being more specific, I think it has more to do with Japan being an absolute dog of a market lately. Evidence: the 744s are on ICN and PVG now, instead of flows to NRT.

Me, I'm just going to sit in the corner and hope they announce an MSP flight to somewhere else in Asia some time in the next 18 months. And bemoan the loss of the whale.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
Being more specific, I think it has more to do with Japan being an absolute dog of a market lately. Evidence: the 744s are on ICN and PVG now, instead of flows to NRT.

Me, I'm just going to sit in the corner and hope they announce an MSP flight to somewhere else in Asia some time in the next 18 months. And bemoan the loss of the whale.
If you find one, please let me know.

ICN is a great airport for connections, but you can't get anywhere in Asia from there on DL.

I wonder whether there will be some news about a JV with KE as part of the announcement within the next week.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
I'm also curious what the further announcement will be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a KE JV and think it would help with what ails both carriers.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That too, but someone upthread pointed out that the TLV route can explain the three 747s that are retiring at the end of the summer.
It's more about Japan than anything else. JFK-NRT/TLV going to the 777 was already factored into the 744 utilization before this latest change; even with JFK-NRT/TLV gone, the remaining 744 routes would still have required more than 12 planes (Total of 16 minus 4 to be retired). My guess is that both HNL-NRT and HNL-KIX (both scheduled to be 744 flights for the fall/winter) will be downgauged with this change...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I am so frustrated that three days ago I canceled an October ticket to SIN that had 747s in both directions (ATL-NRT-ATL).

It was an award ticket and I thought 350K was too much but since I don't even have 747s going to HKG May 2014, I wonder where I can find them. My only other trip in the region is SYD and those of course are 777s.

I could go to TLV next year but I am not really interested without the 747s.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
It's more about Japan than anything else. JFK-NRT/TLV going to the 777 was already factored into the 744 utilization before this latest change; even with JFK-NRT/TLV gone, the remaining 744 routes would still have required more than 12 planes (Total of 16 minus 4 to be retired). My guess is that both HNL-NRT and HNL-KIX (both scheduled to be 744 flights for the fall/winter) will be downgauged with this change...
Either it's conditions in Japan or DL is trying to reduce capacity a bit on the Japanese beach routes in hopes of raising prices or both. I've always suspected that these routes were relatively profitable given that DL had the aircraft available (and maybe paid for?) during an otherwise low season, but can't generally have been high yielding compared to other TPAC routes, although of course they're shorter and cheaper to fly.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by 355F1
I've never been on one.

Wow! I never flew on 744 aircraft. I hoped that I will fly on 747-400M from AMS-LAX. I need to get on the entire 744 aircraft for one more time.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
I'm also curious what the further announcement will be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a KE JV and think it would help with what ails both carriers.
You may get your wish but it may take another six months or so.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Xeno
I am so frustrated that three days ago I canceled an October ticket to SIN that had 747s in both directions (ATL-NRT-ATL).

It was an award ticket and I thought 350K was too much but since I don't even have 747s going to HKG May 2014, I wonder where I can find them. My only other trip in the region is SYD and those of course are 777s.

I could go to TLV next year but I am not really interested without the 747s.
Now I'm starting to rethink my vague travel plans for the next nine months or so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.