Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Opinions on just how "tight" the Delta 76W J seat is?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United

I'm contemplating a fairly long flight (9-10 hours) in a business class seat on a delta 767-300ER ("76W"). I have read the reviews on SeatGuru (a source I have come to regard with increasing skepticism) and those are decidedly mixed: many people complain vociferously about how tight the J seats are, both the foot cubby, and the general width of the seats (which several people describe as "mummy-like"). Others just said that they liked the seat and felt it was very comfortable, which I assume means they disagreed with the "mummified" comments (or at least didn't find it was an issue).

I'm sure that such reviews are colored by other factors, especially how large the reviewer is, but also things like expectations and previous experience with J products.

I'd be very interested in hearing from FTers on the subject - specifically the comfort in these seats, overall (shoulders, hips) and also the foot cubby. I think I know what to expect for the other aspects of both the hard and soft product, I'm looking for opinions based on your own experiences in this seat, along with your own assessment of your relative size/needs (since I think one's height/girth) and perhaps preferred sleeping position would have a real impact on how comfy (or not) one might find this seat.

Personally, I'm not particularly large (probably average), but I do find it difficult/nearly impossible to sleep in anything that moves unless conditions are nearly perfect (I can sleep on my back, don't need to be on my side or other positions, but I do need a flat space without being gouged in my kidney by hard plastic).

For me, on a flight like this, it's almost entirely about the ability to get a good solid chunk of sleep. I'd welcome your opinions on how good a seat you felt this was for that.

Thanks you.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The flat bed 767 BE seats to me seem distinctly wider than the 767 domestic FC seats.

They're genuinely flat bed, although I find it more comfortable to use the duvet under me for padding. I think the foot well is small if you don't remove your shoes. I find the 767 BE seats worse than BE on the 747, 777, or A330 but it's still good.

Try for a seat with the table between you and the aisle for more privacy.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
As an American male with above-average height and 30-inch waist, I find the 763/764 J seat very comfortable for sleeping on my back and on my side.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
The flat bed 767 BE seats to me are great. Had them on one or two OpUps to the UK and back.

I agree with MSPEconomist who said "I find it more comfortable to use the duvet under me for (extra) padding"

I think the foot-well is a pretty nice size though I do always remove my shoes.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flew this SCL-ATL in January. I will never willingly fly it again. Maybe the single seats are better but the middle pair are terrible. The UD of the 747 is much better and the only DL international product I might think about flying.

FWIW, my report on our DL flight.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:40 pm

Programs: Skymiles member
I am taller than most, and find the BE to be very tight...the old config 757 F seats have a lot more width...still prefer the BE due to the lie flat, but it is a tight lie flat
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:45 pm

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
I have flown Delta's renovated 767 several times across the Atlantic in BE, and I have slept very well on the flights. I am fairly tall (6'1" and over 200 lbs). The seats are hard to get out of if they are in sleeping position, but that was the only negative. I don't know the reason for SeatGuru's negative reviews, but the seats are a lot better than UA's business product on the 767.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Snag row 1 for an extra large cubby area for your feet.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Originally Posted by lamont2718
As an American male with above-average height and 30-inch waist, I find the 763/764 J seat very comfortable for sleeping on my back and on my side.
You are the culprit that stole my 30 inch waist.
I want it returned immediately.

In return, you can have my current 36 inch version, plus all the Biscoffs in the snack basket.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 4:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by deltalirious
You are the culprit that stole my 30 inch waist.
I want it returned immediately.

In return, you can have my current 36 inch version, plus all the Biscoffs in the snack basket.
Sounds like a fair trade! ^
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
I just did BOS-LHR on the 767-400, and I understand it's the same seat. I had a perfectly pleasant flight.

That said, I did BOM-AMS-BOS on the A330 with the new seats. While I prefer the A330 seats (and entertainment system) the 767 seats are perfectly acceptable.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:19 pm

Where are you going? Comparing the options might help you decide what is best, DL or someone else.

As you can see, seat reviews can vary wildly. Even the best seats in the sky will have people complaining saying it is awful. Just remember that any J seat is miles above any Y seat, although even cynical FTers sometimes argue otherwise.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Kryptonium Medallion, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I've been on this plane 4 times in the last 2 weeks and am flying it again this next weekend to ATL from PDX. NOt sure if this is common but apparently the PDX-NRT flight is fed from this widebody that flies in from ATL (and back) during most days of the week in the summer. I keep picking this flight because of the upgrade and subsequent arrival in comfort! It's not bad. It's not as large of a seat as the A330 J seat and the middle configuration is weird..I do agree with whomever said that. But the ones on the aisle that have the table on the outside (as opposed to the inside) are more private.

It will go all the way flat and it has a massage function. It is a little "tight" but hell, even the A330's J seats are a bit "tight" if you consider that neither of their products allow guys like me (shorter, avg weight) to lie on our stomachs

(sorry ladies, that's just how i like to get to sleep)
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I consider them to be tight, at both the shoulder and the footwell. What bothers me most about the footwell is how far you have to stick your legs into them. I don't mind having my feet constrained in a small footwell like the A330 has, as long as I have some room to bend my knees, which helps it not feel so constrained. In the 767s you can't do that, you're in up to your knees or better and can't really bend your knees or move your feet. The 767 is my least favorite of the DL BusinessElite cabins (haven't tried the reconfigured 757 so I can't speak to that).
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: DL DM
I would imagine the only people that may have problems with the 767 are the extra-tall, extra-obese, or extra-large-footed(?). I have the above-described 36 waist, and I am 6'1" (with sized 13 shoes) and love the 767 BE seats. I find more comfort when i remove my shoes in the seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.