Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Broken seat - does it matter?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2021, 7:59 am

Last edited by WillBarrett_68; Aug 11, 2021 at 8:00 am Reason: (can't believe someone bumped this thread)
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by us2
This happened to me once on another carrier. I wound up seated for landing in a spare F/A jumpseat at 1L as the plane was full. It remains one of my more memorable trips in X million miles of flying.
I didn’t think pax could be seated in jump seats because they were unfamiliar with the unique emergency procedures required of jumpseat riders (at least that’s what I’ve been told on long international flights when I’ve dared to perch on a jumpseat for a moment).
Old Aug 11, 2021, 11:45 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
If you comment after arrival, they remove the seatback, and then the next flight's first class passenger to board who has been assigned that seat is moved to main cabin

so delta DOES offer “lie-flats” on some domestic narrow-body routes? 😀
DiverDave, cre95, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I didn’t think pax could be seated in jump seats because they were unfamiliar with the unique emergency procedures required of jumpseat riders (at least that’s what I’ve been told on long international flights when I’ve dared to perch on a jumpseat for a moment).
This is true. However if the flight is full then they need to put passenger somewhere. This falls under the authority of crew to deviate from rules when stuff happens.

There's no issue in flight, just landing/takeoff, but crew (especially in CV19 world) dont like anyone sitting in their seat at all.
Old Aug 11, 2021, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Once I had a flight where the passenger in front of me insisted on having his seat somewhat reclined during takeoff and landing. When I pointed this out to a FA, she told me that it was OK if the seat was partially reclined fur takeoff and landing. Is this correct or not?
Old Aug 11, 2021, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Once I had a flight where the passenger in front of me insisted on having his seat somewhat reclined during takeoff and landing. When I pointed this out to a FA, she told me that it was OK if the seat was partially reclined fur takeoff and landing. Is this correct or not?
If you ask the CFR, this is not okay unless the seat has a position other than fully upright that has been certified for takeoff and landing (not aware of this on any domestic F style seats, only lie-flat J seats on some airlines).

Now, it's also important to keep in mind, like with many of these regs, this was created in an era where seats actually reclined as opposed to tilting back a couple of inches or sliding forward from the bottom. With the minimal amount of recline on todays domestic aircraft (whether it's Y or J) it's pretty unlikely anyone would have trouble exiting the window seat in an evacuation so I imagine the FA was using a little bit of common sense here to avoid escalating things into a confrontation.

Had the FAA been on the flight and noticed this, yes it would technically be a violation.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm flying in 2C on a flight where seat 1C is clearly broken. Was fully reclined as I sat down. Asked the FA to address it and was told that it didn't need to be upright until the door closed. Once the door closed, FA tried to pull the seat up and then told me "the seat doesn't go up" and walked away. Refused to address it further.

Should I file a complaint with DL? Or the FAA?

Last edited by steveholt; Oct 10, 2022 at 4:53 pm
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by steveholt
I'm flying in 2C on a flight where seat 1C is clearly broken. Was fully reclined as I sat down. Asked the FA to address it and was told that it didn't need to be upright until the door closed. Once the door closed, FA tried to pull the seat up and then told me "the seat doesn't go up" and walked away. Refused to address it further.

Both. Also pilot , as this must be documented.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87
I think the reason for keeping your seat upright is more for the passengers behind you than you. The seat being reclined makes it more difficult to get out of the row, which is why the rows in front of an exit row either have limited or no recline. If there is a crash, you'll be leaning forward against the seat in front of you anyway, not sittting "upright", so the position of your seatback wouldn't really matter (at least to you). But a reclined seatback makes it more difficult for the passengers behind you to get out and evacauate.

Well, there were three other options available for you and the affected passengers behind your seat:
1) Move to other seats (if one was available)
2) Repair the seat (causing a delay for everyone on the flight)
3) If no other seats other seats were available, remove you and the affected passengers from the plane and rebook you all for a later flight.
The fourth option is what you and the airline chose - accept it and fly on to the destination and deal with it later.

I'm not saying the decision was "right" or "wrong" - just explaining it. What would you have preferred they chose to do?
If I were the OP, I would be appreciative of the approach taken by the FA.
DLASflyer and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
If you comment after arrival, they remove the seatback, and then the next flight's first class passenger to board who has been assigned that seat is moved to main cabin

Lol, this happened to me in 2017 or 2018--I was given a first class upgrade and when I got on the plane the seat looked like that, so they bumped me back to coach. The problem was that my original seat was an aisle seat near the front of coach; because they had cleared standbys already, there was a 10 min situation where they started to tell me I couldn't fly home because the flight was "full." I wasn't very happy because I *had* a seat before they upgraded me to FC one that didn't work. They eventually bumped one of the standbys off and moved me to one in the far back near the bathroom in a middle seat (ironically, between two teenage siblings that didn't want to sit next to each other).

Called Delta to complain and they couldn't understand why I was upset--they just saying "it's a complimentary upgrade, sir. We can't do anything if something complimentary doesn't work out." I kept saying, "you downgraded me, though! I had a better seat to begin with!" C'est la vie.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Just FWIW, most of thread is from 2014. Rest is from a year ago.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by ctsgoblue
Called Delta to complain and they couldn't understand why I was upset--they just saying "it's a complimentary upgrade, sir. We can't do anything if something complimentary doesn't work out." I kept saying, "you downgraded me, though! I had a better seat to begin with!" C'est la vie.
a complaint is understandable here but there's not much that can be done in these cases. unwinding the chain of seat movements that happen after you're upgraded is usually time-consuming and delaying the flight is a worse outcome for more people.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
a complaint is understandable here but there's not much that can be done in these cases. unwinding the chain of seat movements that happen after you're upgraded is usually time-consuming and delaying the flight is a worse outcome for more people.
Also comes down to a CS principle. What's better one upset customer,, or multiple upset customers when redoing seat assignments. I've been on the losing end before, it sucks. However, understand why the usually won't understand things. Even if they do move passengers, person A will still be upset that it happened. It's a lose/lose for the airline.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by steveholt

Eventually filed a DOT complaint. DL took the full 30 days to respond and said:

"We sincerely regret the alarm caused by this malfunction and our crew's response to it. Clearly, the flight should have been delayed in order to resolve the issue and we're sorry this wasn't done. Please know we've forwarded your feedback to our Inflight leadership for review with the crew members involved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

Very helpful form letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.