Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Schedule change on award seat after one leg flown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

I booked a roundtrip award ticket that I flew the outbound in May, the return is set for right before Christmas. There was a 2 hour schedule change (8am-6am).

Due to the significance of the schedule change will delta allow me to cancel the return and redeposit the miles. 12.5k of the 25k booking?
I really don't want a 6am because I am 160 miles from the airport and that will make a very early flight, I have to work the day before and won't make the evening flight, and I can't take the later flight because I will land to late.

What are my options at this point? I hate the idea of losing the booking due to schedule change.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:57 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Sorry, they won't allow you to redeposit half the miles of a round-trip award ticket, since there really is no such thing as a true one-way award at half the price of a round trip (supposedly 'til 2015).

You can call them to request a different flight - quite easily, assuming there are other flights from your city. They're usually very lenient with allowing changes when their schedule change doesn't work for you.

I must've missed part of your post, or, maybe you added it later . . . .

There are only 2 flights a day from your city to anywhere on Delta?

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 17, 2014 at 11:09 pm
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:06 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
I think you can only make a free change
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately only 2 direct flights/day.
How lenient are they on the change? Does there have to be saver level availability? Also can I change the destination and make it an open jaw?

Thanks for the input.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 6:47 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
You do not need saver avail just for this change and changing the destination might require saver inventory
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by kathysrewards
Unfortunately only 2 direct flights/day.
How lenient are they on the change? Does there have to be saver level availability? Also can I change the destination and make it an open jaw?

Thanks for the input.
You might receive more specific suggestions if you indicated what cities are involved. DL is likely to make a saver award available under the circumstances. If by changing the destination you mean changing to a different airport in the same area (e.g., from DCA to IAD or BWI) that too would be permitted, but changing from Detroit to Minneapolis would not be. Are the "2 direct flights" the only way to get from your origin to your destination on DL?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
[What are my options at this point? I hate the idea of losing the booking due to schedule change.]

Are there any other flights out of your home airport to any of the Delta hub cities like ATL, MSP, DTW, SLC, LAX, SFO, and others that you can connect to a 2nd flight from that city to your final destination?

If you post the actual flights and cities, someone maybe able to help you here.

A schedule change gets one a free change to a desirable and more efficient routing free of charge.

Do your research before you call Customer Service at Delta to request the change.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, HH:Diamond, Hertz:PC
If Delta has made a schedule change you should have no problems changing it to another flight that day. I have done this with award tickets with no problems. Even going to a much higher cost flight for that day with no cost to me. As long as the start and end points don't change you have a lot of flexibility.

I would call them up and see what your options are and what they will offer. You might be surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.