Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta REALLY wooing some biz travlers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Delta REALLY wooing some biz travlers

Just got back to LA where my spouse - who is a pretty big wig in the media/entertainment industry (vc side) - had just returned from a pretty well known event for media execs.....200 or so in attendance.

Delta was a sponsor and in his goodie bag.....which was given to everyone included

1 - bottle of veuve clicquot
2 - tumi travel kit
3 - delta platinum status for a year
4 - 1000 cert towards travel
5 - 5 passes to sky club
6 - box of some kind of fancy chocolate

I'm an aa/us - and recovering UA guy - cant imagine any of them putting something this cool together.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Wow! That's a pretty fancy "goodie bag". Did all 200 attendees receive one?
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by lamont2718
Wow! That's a pretty fancy "goodie bag". Did all 200 attendees receive one?
yes - everyone - find it funny they included the veuve clicquot - don't think I've ever seen anything of that quality served on a us carrier in the last decade.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Wonderful . 200 more PLATs to compete with for upgrades (assuming they weren't already at that, or higher, status).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by relangford
Wonderful . 200 more PLATs to compete with for upgrades (assuming they weren't already at that, or higher, status).
everything is transferable - I stole his and I'm sure - knowing most of the people who were there - most people will just keep the veuve clicquot and toss the rest
Old Jul 17, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by morrisunc
everything is transferable - I stole his and I'm sure - knowing most of the people who were there - most people will just keep the veuve clicquot and toss the rest
Most would toss the rest? I could understand tossing the SC passes and chocolate, but DL PM status makes for a pretty nice gift for others even if the attendees don't want it for themselves.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 11:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by morrisunc
yes - everyone - find it funny they included the veuve clicquot - don't think I've ever seen anything of that quality served on a us carrier in the last decade.
Mmmmm... $40 champagne...

(Hope it was at least the Rose!)
Old Jul 18, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by relangford
+1, I guess DL has gone back to handing out elite status like candy. So much for MQD and MQM.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 2:18 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
MQD was just a front
Old Jul 18, 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
Most would toss the rest? I could understand tossing the SC passes and chocolate, but DL PM status makes for a pretty nice gift for others even if the attendees don't want it for themselves.
Perhaps, donate some of the items to charity or non-profit org.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
+1, I guess DL has gone back to handing out elite status like candy. So much for MQD and MQM.
Yeah, because giving status to 200 people is going to really tip the scales.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If nobody wants the 1k cert I'll be glad to take it off your hands
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Some folks here just do not get it......It was never about thinning the ranks.

The moves were made to prevent people who do not spend money with DL from gaining status and from reaping costly benefits that do not pay for them with their spend. The individuals at this event spend BIG bucks on travel and almost always in paying for first. If their spend does not equal the cost of their benefits they will be gone as well in time.

And for the record I have a close friend who was at the meeting and knew the majority of the people who were attendance.

So in short, DL was promoting their business to a small group of people who spend big bucks and was making an investment to attract future PROFITABLE business. Companies target these demographics all the time and it just kills those here who are just not as important as they think they are......
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:48 am

Hollywood is big source of paid premium travel. The major guilds (i.e. Actors, Directors, etc.) have mandatory F/J travel benefits. I don't see execs sitting in Y while a bit part player is up front sipping wine in F.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Yeah, because giving status to 200 people is going to really tip the scales.
If this were the only such initiative, then I would agree with you. But each new such initiative added to the ones that came before becomes more significant in total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.