Spotted in the wild: medallion tags

Old Jul 16, 14, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres

Walking to my car from work this afternoon, actually looking at my phone tweeting @DeltaAssist...and I looked up and saw this guy rocking his FO tags down the street:

Thought it was amusing. Anyone else have any fun pics of spotting people showing off their tags when not traveling?
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Hilarious! I don't use my tags, but I certainly wouldn't put them on any piece of luggage that I use outside of the airport.

Though, maybe I need to sport my old FO tag when I fly paid F in a few weeks!
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by xolinlevh View Post
Anyone else have any fun pics of spotting people showing off their tags when not traveling?
How do you know he wasn't traveling?
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd View Post
Though, maybe I need to sport my old FO tag when I fly paid F in a few weeks!
Used to do this all the time for the period that I was FO. Nothing like walking past some Diamond gate louse seated in Y, miffed that he/she didn't get their upgrade when F is called. I've even been called out on it by said gate louse times once or twice. So much fun...

As for the original topic, I've only spotted medallion tags in airport or airport transit environments. Though, I did sit down at an Orlando Apple store in a mall one time next to an individual who had one his AA Executive Platinum luggage tags on the backpack he brought with him to the store. This was back when I was a DL GM. Got a bit of a chuckle out of it.
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:51 pm

Why?

I'm an engineer and travel for work a good bit. My laptop backpack is essential to pretty much everything I do. Why would I take the tags off when not traveling?
Old Jul 16, 14, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrmoore View Post
I'm an engineer and travel for work a good bit. My laptop backpack is essential to pretty much everything I do. Why would I take the tags off when not traveling?
Exactly. I have various tags on all my bags which double as travel bags and daily bags (a laptop briefcase and laptop backpack). Plus, at least one has my name on it which can be helpful. I even have my Flyertalk tags on my bags still
Old Jul 16, 14, 7:01 pm

I keep mine on my bookbag at all times. Along with my flyertalk tag. People ask about it all the time. Who cares if you are traveling or not.
Old Jul 16, 14, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Oh brother... foolish post, OP how do you know he was not traveling or how do you know this was not the primary bag he uses to travel? You don't so what make prseumtions comments like this? Parhaps you crave the same attention you claim the poor unsuspecting sole in your photo does?
Old Jul 16, 14, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

I keep my old FO tag on my backpack because it's the only tag that still has the barcode on it, and I find it handy to be able to scan the tag when checking in at a kiosk.

That backpack is my daily laptop & whatnot bag that goes from hotel to office with me every day when I'm on the road. I usually keep it tucked in a zipper when I'm not headed to the airport, but sometimes it still ends up flapping around.
Old Jul 16, 14, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
My backpack goes everywhere with me, whether traveling or not, and I keep my Kryptonium tag attached to it. I've met a couple folks from FlyerTalk outside of the airport
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I usually keep it tucked in a zipper when I'm not headed to the airport, but sometimes it still ends up flapping around.

Phrasing!
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by lamont2718 View Post

Phrasing!

I didn't even mean to do that. Well played!
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:21 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Let's face it, without those cowbells, how would anyone know how important some people are? Mine collect dust in my sl are room. I try to keep a lower profile while traveling. ...

Last edited by Crazyhotelguy; Jul 17, 14 at 6:40 am
Old Jul 16, 14, 10:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
I'd be more worried about the keycard/work id dangling dangerously from his card medley.
Old Jul 16, 14, 11:01 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I find the open display of airline status luggage tags while not traveling to be slightly ostentatious since they serve no function outside the airport (other than to let others know what status you hold).

I recognize that it can be convenient to leave the tag attached to a bag in between trips. I do it as well, though I keep the tag discreet by flipping it over.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: