Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spotted in the wild: medallion tags

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:34 am

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I find the open display of airline status luggage tags while not traveling to be slightly ostentatious since they serve no function outside the airport (other than to let others know what status you hold).
To be fair...that's pretty much the only function they serve in the airport as well. (I'm guilty of flaunting mine, BTW)
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
I find the open display of airline status luggage tags while not traveling to be slightly ostentatious since they serve no function outside the airport (other than to let others know what status you hold).
You've never been in a military setting where EVERY bag looks like. I keep my status tags (including my KM tags ) on there for the simple reason that it makes it very easy to recognize, as I know most other people aren't going to have them (especially the KM ones).

And I do use them at the airport (where they're intended to be used), but I don't take them off when I'm not traveling - it's not worth the effort.

As for the true topic: I did see a bag with Platinum Medallion tags on it here at Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan the other week.

Last edited by FlyDeltaJets87; Jul 17, 2014 at 4:47 am
Old Jul 17, 2014, 4:51 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Mr. Leo ALWAYS wears his Diamond Medallion tag when flying.

He's cleared for AMS-BOS this weekend, you have been warned.

Old Jul 17, 2014, 6:31 am

Programs: Delta PM
I hope my FO tags come soon so I can also prominently display them and hope to be made fun of!
Old Jul 17, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by koreanair720
To be fair...that's pretty much the only function they serve in the airport as well.
I've received acknowledgment such as...

Automatic waving into the SP lines at check-in instead of having to produce a BP when the line dragon saw my bag tag.

And in the case where I was late to board due to a tight cxn, I've had FA's notice the bag tag and automatically allow me to board with my bag when they were forcing others to gate check.

I truly don't understand why others get caught up in others who choose to display their tags. I mean, that's why DL sends them out. Or maybe they just send them for their Medallions to simply sell on eBay.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by baccarat_king

That's cute but I'm surprised he doesn't try to eat the DM tag or does he only like the PM tags for snacks?

The tan quilt in the background makes me suspect that he would have blended in so well with the old tan BE duvets that he could have been out of his carrier in the cabin without anyone noticing.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta - DM/ 2MM, HHonors - DM, Marriott - PM, AVIS - CM
[QUOTE Thought it was amusing. Anyone else have any fun pics of spotting people showing off their tags when not traveling?[/QUOTE]

Or perhaps we think that taking a photo of an anonymous person walking down the street and posting it on the internet is just plain creepy...

Reminds me of the posts of FT'ers taking pics of their fellow seatmates, shoes on or not.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - 2 Million Miler; Marriott Gold Elite, Radisson GOLD. ParknGo loves me
Originally Posted by baccarat_king

Guess those are his "Dog Tags".

Sorry.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
Used to do this all the time for the period that I was FO. Nothing like walking past some Diamond gate louse seated in Y, miffed that he/she didn't get their upgrade when F is called. I've even been called out on it by said gate louse times once or twice. So much fun...
Wow I didn't know this many people enjoyed doing this

I proudly display my FO tag whenever I fly paid J/F.

Only heard "Excuse me, aren't you zone 1?" once though.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hockeystl
I've received acknowledgment such as...

Automatic waving into the SP lines at check-in instead of having to produce a BP when the line dragon saw my bag tag.

And in the case where I was late to board due to a tight cxn, I've had FA's notice the bag tag and automatically allow me to board with my bag when they were forcing others to gate check.

I truly don't understand why others get caught up in others who choose to display their tags. I mean, that's why DL sends them out. Or maybe they just send them for their Medallions to simply sell on eBay.
It works even better with NW Platinum tags. If you still have those on, you may be treated extra nice by the GAs and FAs (has happened to me numerous times, domestic, at HKG twice, and elsewhere that I now don't recall; when they've seen it and have remarked positively about it and whatever was the issue or problem du jour has just vanished).
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by RealHJ
It works even better with NW Platinum tags. If you still have those on, you may be treated extra nice by the GAs and FAs (has happened to me numerous times, domestic, at HKG twice, and elsewhere that I now don't recall; when they've seen it and have remarked positively about it and whatever was the issue or problem du jour has just vanished).
I was on a flight a couple of months ago, and had my card wallet out. I was leafing through some old cards, and came across my WorldPerks card. Right then, the FA was walking by and commented about the good old days at NWA.

David
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I was on a flight a couple of months ago, and had my card wallet out. I was leafing through some old cards, and came across my WorldPerks card. Right then, the FA was walking by and commented about the good old days at NWA.

David
Ok, I have to go OT for an interesting analog.

A number of years back I was accompanying a retired Army colonel into the Pentagon on business. Guard sharply passed him on but apologized for having to see my ID. As I was opening my wallet to pull out my DL he saw my upside down American Express card, stood at attention, and announced something along the lines of, "Amex, sir. Definitely a citizen. Welcome to the Pentagon."
Old Jul 17, 2014, 3:35 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's cute but I'm surprised he doesn't try to eat the DM tag or does he only like the PM tags for snacks?

The tan quilt in the background makes me suspect that he would have blended in so well with the old tan BE duvets that he could have been out of his carrier in the cabin without anyone noticing.
For some reason, he doesn't chew on tags anymore. Used to, but he's become much more "mellow" since moving to Amsterdam.

No dogs in BusinessElite definitely more painful for the owner, than the doggie. I haven't flown Y AMS-BOS in quite some time....

Originally Posted by brad9696
Guess those are his "Dog Tags".

Sorry.
^
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond

I recognize that it can be convenient to leave the tag attached to a bag in between trips. I do it as well, though I keep the tag discreet by flipping it over.
Do they serve any other purpose at the airport since DL stopped putting the barcodes on there? I figured the last few years they've just been included as "bag bling."
Old Jul 17, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by mattp1987
Do they serve any other purpose at the airport since DL stopped putting the barcodes on there? I figured the last few years they've just been included as "bag bling."
Well, the tags are actually relevant at the airport because they can affect your travel experience. As others have said of their own experiences, the tags can help airline agents decide where to direct you, whether to be lenient with carry-on restrictions, how nice to be, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.