FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Empty seat in F (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1593859-empty-seat-f.html)

steveholt Jul 12, 2014 7:23 pm

Empty seat in F

Flew BOS-LAX this morning and was in F. Ten minutes after takeoff, two seats in F were open. FA paged two passengers to hit their call button, neither of whom did. Five minutes later, a passenger who had clearly been sprinting to make the flight walked onto the plane and took one of the F seats, at which point the boarding door closed. The plane then left for LAX without upgrading anybody into the final seat in F.

Is this common? Surely there were medallions on this flight who could have used the seat.

emrdoc Jul 12, 2014 7:28 pm

IME, it is not very common especially on longer flights.

stealthmidget Jul 12, 2014 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 23186484)
Flew BOS-LAX this morning and was in F. Ten minutes after takeoff, two seats in F were open. FA paged two passengers to hit their call button, neither of whom did. Five minutes later, a passenger who had clearly been sprinting to make the flight walked onto the plane and took one of the F seats, at which point the boarding door closed. The plane then left for LAX without upgrading anybody into the final seat in F.

Is this common? Surely there were medallions on this flight who could have used the seat.

The passenger was most definitely sprinting to make the flight considering they caught up to it 10+ minutes after takeoff!

Often1 Jul 12, 2014 8:14 pm

Likely a ton of people who were eligible but chose to board and lost their place. At T-10, the flight closes and the priority is on an ontime push, not running through an UG list.

steveholt Jul 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by stealthmidget (Post 23186578)
The passenger was most definitely sprinting to make the flight considering they caught up to it 10+ minutes after takeoff!

He WAS pretty fast. :)

Letitride3c Jul 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Ten minutes after takeoff and airborne ??

Then, 5 minutes later (cabin door closed and aircraft in the air ?) - a pax simply walked onto the aircraft - wow, amazing.

I believed it's oops - just a typo - 10 minutes BEFORE takeoff ... then, 5 minutes later (still 5 more minutes to shutting the cabin door, lock & cross-check, etc. before taxi out to takeoff roll)

jdrtravel Jul 12, 2014 9:17 pm

sounds like the GA tried to page two people who did not respond---I'm guessing that they were not on the plane yet and that one of them was the guy running.

Its possible the GA knew they were not on the plane and was just double checking to make sure they did not board without scanning. Maybe the GA was trying to hold the F seat for the PAX, who maybe had a late connection. This could be an example of a GA going above and beyond to protect the upgrade for the medallion.

Also, BOS-LAX could be a medallion light flight, especially on a Saturday. Neither city is a hub so maybe there were no other upgrades to process.

calrick Jul 12, 2014 9:59 pm

:)

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 23186712)
He WAS pretty fast. :)

MSPeconomist Jul 12, 2014 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt (Post 23186484)

Was the guy a wing walker?

lcbj68c Jul 12, 2014 11:45 pm

I'm still lost at...10 minutes AFTER takeoff, then 5 minutes later somebody runs through the front entrance!

:Faints:

Pip Carlson Jul 12, 2014 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by lcbj68c (Post 23187170)
I'm still lost at...10 minutes AFTER takeoff, then 5 minutes later somebody runs through the front entrance!

:Faints:

10 minutes after takeoff? Reminds me of this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y51IFVB-7Oc&feature=kp

Howste Jul 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Perhaps he got the Porche service?

davetravels Jul 13, 2014 12:07 am

. . . . . Or perhaps the OP had a little too much Woodford. ;)

payingdues Jul 13, 2014 12:17 am

Not that uncommon on Saturday flights IME. I had 2 open seats in F on IAD - MSP today and two of the taken seats were occupied by non-rev's. ATL - BWI last Saturday was full in F but there were only 4 or 5 paying customers, the rest were non-rev (either uniformed or I overheard them talking about work).