Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Intentionally booking a flight I can't possibly make (need to use companion cert)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intentionally booking a flight I can't possibly make (need to use companion cert)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Question Intentionally booking a flight I can't possibly make (need to use companion cert)

Here's my hypothetical scenario:

I want to use my AMEX companion cert which you need to book a LUTXV fare flight.

The only flights available in LUTXV on the return from FLL or MIA are at like 5am or 6am etc and I will be returning from a cruise so won't be able to get off the ship and make the 5am or 6am flight.

What would happen if I intentionally book this and knowingly will miss the flight? Will Delta be able to get us on a flight later that day? Keep in mind this will likely be during peak season in the winter when flights are full leaving FLL MIA.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Keep in mind this will likely be during peak season in the winter when flights are full leaving FLL MIA.
This is exactly why I wouldn't even think about doing this. At best, DL will put you on the standby list for a flight later that day, but I've seen 50+ people standby lists on FLL flights in the winter time, so you might not get home for 1-2 days.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO/KM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
This is exactly why I wouldn't even think about doing this. At best, DL will put you on the standby list for a flight later that day, but I've seen 50+ people standby lists on FLL flights in the winter time, so you might not get home for 1-2 days.
Especially on a day where the cruise ships return. From my understanding, the flights are often pretty full on those days. I wouldn't recommend because you don't know when you get home, and DL (or whatever airline you can find the cheapest ticket or space on) may not even offer you the option of standby, but may instead force you to buy walk-up fares to get back to MSP.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
...but I've seen 50+ people standby lists on FLL flights in the winter time, so you might not get home for 1-2 days.
Especially when the OP has no status. As a Plat you might stand a chance of returning the same day.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. If you show up at the counter slightly late, DL may -- and I stress -- may, rebook you without fee on a later flight under its traditional "flat tire" policy. But, that is entirely up to the agent you encounter and you need to plan on the distinct possibility that your missed flight ticket is valueless and that you are required to buy a new ticket at walk up prices (astronomical).

2. On cruise days, the flights won't be full. They will be overbooked with a real shot at oversell. Even if DL is willing to let you standby for free on a later flight, you may be sitting for a day flight-by-flight, waiting for seats.

Bottom line here is that you could wind up spending a fortune on new tickets, hotels and meals. Or maybe not. Only you can assess whether it's worth the risk.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Could you book for the following day and just spend the night? You could still save money without risking getting stuck there for an indefinite period.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by DaveNC
Could you book for the following day and just spend the night? You could still save money without risking getting stuck there for an indefinite period.
^ This
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Have you looked at leaving out of PBI?

Agree with the others on booking the next day.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
As has been said many times on this board, when it comes to flying somewhere to take a cruise, fly in the day before the cruise's departure, and fly back the day AFTER the cruise is SCHEDULED to return. You never know when your flight may be delayed when flying into the cruise's departure city; and you never know when, on the return leg, the cruise might be delayed arriving back in port.

And in any event, this could also be a situation when buying trip insurance might be an added benefit. In any event, DL is under no obligation to help you. If DL does, consider yourself lucky. Better not to put yourself in that situation.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by apodo77
Have you looked at leaving out of PBI? ...
remember the stupid restriction that the AmEx companion cert doesn't work with open jaw ... OP would have to fly into PBI as well
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jrl767
Originally Posted by apodo77
Have you looked at leaving out of PBI? ...
remember the stupid restriction that the AmEx companion cert doesn't work with open jaw ... OP would have to fly into PBI as well
Had no idea. Not an AMEX card holder.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
OP, the concept is REALLY bad.

Just plan to spend a mini-holiday day in MIA, and you will likely come out better in both price, time and frustration.

There is a reason DL is not selling cheap seats on those later flights.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:21 pm

I always tell people that cruises leave from beautiful places. Cruises don't leave from Gary, IN. Spend a day or two and enjoy both the sights and piece of mind. A few bucks on a hotel and you're covered especially if this winter is anything like last winter. We all saw what 2 inches of snow did to ATL.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by kop84
I always tell people that cruises leave from beautiful places. Cruises don't leave from Gary, IN.
I suspect the fact that cruises don't leave from Gary, IN has to do with it being in Indiana, rather than anything to do with the city's aesthetics.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
I suspect the fact that cruises don't leave from Gary, IN has to do with it being in Indiana, rather than anything to do with the city's aesthetics.
Gary's on Lake Michigan, which has a huge commercial shipping industry, plenty of pleasure boats big enough to live aboard, and someone seems to try a Great Lakes cruise every few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.