Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

As it stands right now, I have a decent likelihood of hitting the MQD number for Diamond but be short of MQMs. (Right now I have 46K MQMs and 7.5k MQD and 23k CC spend)

What do you guys think are the chances that if I hit the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but miss on miles that DL will "give me" Diamond status for next year?

I tried searching for the question - but had a hard time finding anything due to the specific question.

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
No. unless there is some sort of programming error
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SCMConsult
As it stands right now, I have a decent likelihood of hitting the MQD number for Diamond but be short of MQMs. (Right now I have 46K MQMs and 7.5k MQD and 23k CC spend)

What do you guys think are the chances that if I hit the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but miss on miles that DL will "give me" Diamond status for next year?

I tried searching for the question - but had a hard time finding anything due to the specific question.

Thanks
Sounds like getting Diamond status in such circumstances is very unlikely and definitely far from guaranteed for most of those whom may be in a similar situation.

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
0.0% You have to have the MQM threshold. The variable is either meet MQD threshold OR AMEX spend waiver
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
No. unless there is some sort of programming error
I know the rules/terms state I will not qualify for. But I also have had hotel programs go out side the terms to give me soft landings and the like in the past. Figured it was worth a ? with all the momentum and focus within DL being toward rewarding revenue not BIS (2015 SM, etc.)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I know the rules/terms state I will not qualify for. But I also have had hotel programs go out side the terms to give me soft landings and the like in the past. Figured it was worth a ? with all the momentum and focus within DL ebing toward rewarding revenue not BIS (2015 SM, etc.)
But you're PM now according to your profile, why would DL, Up your status if you dont meet the terms? DL also doesnt have a history of soft anything so why would they start now? Also diamond isnt a level down so its not a soft landing to begin with

Last edited by CDKing; Jul 11, 2014 at 9:05 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
I know the rules/terms state I will not qualify for. But I also have had hotel programs go out side the terms to give me soft landings and the like in the past. Figured it was worth a ? with all the momentum and focus within DL being toward rewarding revenue not BIS (2015 SM, etc.)
We know what Delta is like; people have been in this situation before. The momentum seems to me to be toward introducing additional obstacles, not substituting one for another. Plus, about the hotel programs. Some years ago I missed requalifying for Hilton Gold and they soft-landed me to Silver plus a challenge. This year I failed to requalify for Hilton Diamond and got a rock.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What you refer to as a "soft landing" is actually a status "boost". Delta has had an end of year MQM buy up option (up to 10,000 MQM's) for the last 3 years -- https://dn.delta.com/skymiles/purchasemqms/buy/landing. There's little reason to believe they will not offer this again this year. There's no reason to boost you up with this offer. They will simply point you to buy-up option which is precisely designed for these cases. Meeting the MQD threshold does not actually make you that all that valuable of a flyer. There are many Diamonds who exceed it handily. The $12.5K spend is probably on the lower end for Diamonds and I suspect the average spend is actually higher than that. There is also the issue of rollover MQM's. There are people who intentionally hold short in order to get the rollover. If you are 5K MQM's short of Diamond, it would hardly be fair to give you both Diamond status AND 45K MQM's of rollover while those who earn 125K MQM's get zero rollover.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 11, 2014 at 9:38 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Maybe they'll run a special to allow you to buy the *all* the MQMs you need in order to create a more special and elite experience for you.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
If one achieves the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but misses on MQMs, IMO DL will NOT "give" Diamond status for next year.

Their intentions are clear to prune the elite medallion ranks.
Mileage Runs maybe your best option to achieve the required MQMs.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by dd1612
If one achieves the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but misses on MQMs, IMO DL will NOT "give" Diamond status for next year.

Which is why they run all those offers giving people Platinum after only three flights, or after a single BE ticket, and so on. DL is not trying to prune the medallion ranks.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
But you're PM now according to your profile, why would DL, Up your status if you dont meet the terms? DL also doesnt have a history of soft anything so why would they start now? Also diamond isnt a level down so its not a soft landing to begin with
Yes- and I am going to SMOKE the DM MQD number but will fall short on MQM - so with the focus on $$$ at DL I was wondering if there was a shot.

IMO - Delta cares about cash money bottom line. The MQD number was put in to reward those who spend more by limiting the number of medallions who attain status without providing them much revenue. Therefore, I don't think it would be that insane for them to "give" status to someone who attains MQD but not MQM. To whomever said it wouldn't be fair to "boost" and have me with 45k rollover - I would assume that if I received a "boost" I would start the year with 0 MQMs.

To LBJ's remark about 12.5 being a "low" amount for Diamond. Let's make some assumptions here:

1) Delta actually cares about maximizing profit
2) Profit = Revenue - Cost
3) MQD = Revenue
4) MQM/MQS = Cost
5) By virtue of point 1 -flyers Delta cares the most about are those that provide a high profit
6) Therefore --> Value to Delta = MQD - MQM

If all of those points are true - the most valuable flyers are those with the biggest difference between revenue and cost. Therefore someone who hits a high MQD in comparison to their MQMs would be a very profitable flyer.

I feel like folks are getting a tad hostile on this thread (in fact this forum on a whole has gotten very hostile and pessimistic which is why I don't log in very often anymore). All I was asking if you thought it was plausible that they bump some people. I am not asking for it, saying I deserve it, or crying that I deserve it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

And if you don't think Delta doesn't reward profit already - it is why they provide a MQM boost to high coach and 1st class fares. Same cost to them as a sLUT - much more revenue.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:19 am

I feel like folks are getting a tad hostile on this thread (in fact this forum on a whole has gotten very hostile and pessimistic which is why I don't log in very often anymore). All I was asking if you thought it was plausible that they bump some people. I am not asking for it, saying I deserve it, or crying that I deserve it.
I don't read anyone as being hostile to you in this thread.

The situation is quite simple: Delta is not going to give you Diamond. You'll need to earn it per the very clear requirements.

What's a bit odd is that you seem to think you can convince someone--Flyertalk members, Delta, or both--that you deserve Diamond despite not meeting all the requirements. You're not going to find sympathy for that either here or at Delta.
SuperG1955 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by dd1612

Nor should they. MQM is at the core of how you should earn status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.