Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Exactly.

On a separate note, I'm astounded that anyone would pay these prices instead of just taking a MR.
IIRC the offer was after the year was over when it was too late to do a MR. Most people who are not on FT dont even think of it, SO more money for DL
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Profchemnerd
Exactly.

On a separate note, I'm astounded that anyone would pay these prices instead of just taking a MR.
Originally Posted by CDKing
IIRC the offer was after the year was over when it was too late to do a MR. Most people who are not on FT dont even think of it, SO more money for DL
My memory is different - that these are usually offered beginning in early- or mid-December. Though at that point, probably still too late for the cheapest MRs as it would mean buying fares only a couple weeks out.

To CDKing's point, though, most people outside of FT and MP don't even think about MRs. For others, it might be worth the slightly higher price to buy the next level of status vs. spending the time to actually do the MR, particularly around the holidays.

Either way, DL gets a bunch of cash in exchange for really not much on their end, so my guess is they'll continue to sell EOY MQMs until they find a better way to make even more money.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gooselee
My memory is different - that these are usually offered beginning in early- or mid-December. Though at that point, probably still too late for the cheapest MRs as it would mean buying fares only a couple weeks out.

To CDKing's point, though, most people outside of FT and MP don't even think about MRs. For others, it might be worth the slightly higher price to buy the next level of status vs. spending the time to actually do the MR, particularly around the holidays.

Either way, DL gets a bunch of cash in exchange for really not much on their end, so my guess is they'll continue to sell EOY MQMs until they find a better way to make even more money.
Correct, it was early December which, as you noted, generally has limited options for cheap mileage runs (one typically needs to book in November to get the cheaper early December fares due to advance purchase requirements). Here are the dates for EOY MQM sales from previous years --

Dec 3, 2013
Nov 15, 2012
Nov 29, 2011
Old Jul 20, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dd1612
If one achieves the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but misses on MQMs, IMO DL will NOT "give" Diamond status for next year.

Their intentions are clear to prune the elite medallion ranks.
Mileage Runs maybe your best option to achieve the required MQMs.
I think it will all come down to MQDs. I recall reading about a FO who last year had MQDs of ~ 17.5k so they gave him PM.(He flew out of MSP short haul at almost 1k a ticket ) I think that will become more common. I am sure if you spend 50k MQD you would have a decent shot of being given/granted DM not matter what your MQMs are. Now for the original poster I see zero chance unless his MQDs go through the roof.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Interesting thread. Am in a similar situation to OP.

Saw in August (late I know) courtesy of FT that Delta made the change to revenue-based program for 2015 and immediately shifted spending/flying from AA/BA to DL/VS so that I can get DL status to have 9-11x miles per $1 of spending instead of 5x miles for $1 of spending in 2015. Fares for my trips have been about the same on DL/VS if not a bit lower than AA/BA so if anything I have saved a bit of money on airfare.

Notwithstanding messing up the first couple of bookings where ~$20k of spending was put on partner ticket stock with zero MQD credit, should still be @ ~$50k MQD by end of '14 but only ~95k MQM. Also some genius at DL decided to take their flights off ExpertFlyer (what was the economic rationale for this?) so I didn't realize there was a DL codeshare on the VS JFK-LHR flights until Oct or so (VS still way better than DL metal notwithstanding excellent Blue Smoke entrees).

Would love to get bumped to DM instead of PM so I can get 11x vs 9x ~$100-125k projected '15 DL spend. I remember a few years back UA gave me 1k based on maybe $40k spend even though I was 10-20k EQM below the 1k threshold.

On a side note, I am starting to really like SkyPesos all of a sudden and valuing them at about 2c/peso. I just booked a Feb family vaca for 5 from NYC to Mexico for a coach flight that would have cost $1800/ea at 75k points/ea (2.4c), basically trading 375k SkyPesos for $9k after tax US$. Not quite ready to advocate renaming SkyPesos to SkyCHF, but still a very nice incentive to book DL/VS when possible for my biz travel.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$50K MQD is getting into Delta360 territory which I believe includes Diamond status if you haven't already earned it (not positive on that though) among other unpublished bene's. There was a recent report of someone with $65K MQD's getting it --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...0-hvc-dms.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I still have no idea how someone gets 125K MQM without spending $12.5K! Unless you had a lot of rollover and had a down year for travel...
It is quite easy to do. I'm looking at 131,000 MQM and 10,500 MQD for the year. I work in the non-profit sector and always seek out the lowest practical fare even while steering all feasible travel onto DL or MQM-friendly partners. Most of my miles come on long-haul flights. If you do that consistently you can easily end up in my situation. E.g. last week I added 15,200 MQM but only 760 MQD. That's near the low for the year in terms of MQD earned per mile flown (.05), but the average isn't much better. The high for the year was .49, on a short flight LGA-YYZ. The highest I got on long-haul flights was only .22, JFK-LHR and JFK-CAI.

It is fine with me -- more rollover miles to apply to PM next year.

[edit -- I should clarify that 34K of my MQM are rollover from last year -- if my MQM were all miles flown this calendar year I'd have probably exceeded the MQD threshold, so dilbertsdaddy's point is valid, though I wouldn't have exceeded it by a lot. At my average rate I would have spent $13,625 flying 125K new MQM.]

Last edited by aptenodytes; Nov 21, 2014 at 2:36 am
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Di, AA Plat, Hyatt Glb
Originally Posted by LBJ
$50K MQD is getting into Delta360 territory which I believe includes Diamond status if you haven't already earned it (not positive on that though) among other unpublished bene's. There was a recent report of someone with $65K MQD's getting it --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...0-hvc-dms.html
Thanks LBJ; maybe 360 is the key.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KPhill
Interesting thread. Am in a similar situation to OP.

Saw in August (late I know) courtesy of FT that Delta made the change to revenue-based program for 2015 and immediately shifted spending/flying from AA/BA to DL/VS so that I can get DL status to have 9-11x miles per $1 of spending instead of 5x miles for $1 of spending in 2015. Fares for my trips have been about the same on DL/VS if not a bit lower than AA/BA so if anything I have saved a bit of money on airfare.

Notwithstanding messing up the first couple of bookings where ~$20k of spending was put on partner ticket stock with zero MQD credit, should still be @ ~$50k MQD by end of '14 but only ~95k MQM. Also some genius at DL decided to take their flights off ExpertFlyer (what was the economic rationale for this?) so I didn't realize there was a DL codeshare on the VS JFK-LHR flights until Oct or so (VS still way better than DL metal notwithstanding excellent Blue Smoke entrees).

Would love to get bumped to DM instead of PM so I can get 11x vs 9x ~$100-125k projected '15 DL spend. I remember a few years back UA gave me 1k based on maybe $40k spend even though I was 10-20k EQM below the 1k threshold.

On a side note, I am starting to really like SkyPesos all of a sudden and valuing them at about 2c/peso. I just booked a Feb family vaca for 5 from NYC to Mexico for a coach flight that would have cost $1800/ea at 75k points/ea (2.4c), basically trading 375k SkyPesos for $9k after tax US$. Not quite ready to advocate renaming SkyPesos to SkyCHF, but still a very nice incentive to book DL/VS when possible for my biz travel.
Regardless of the story, being short 30,000 MQMs is a lot, typically more than the requirement for a one step higher elite level.

Since rollover started, DL has rarely bumped people up one or more levels, nor have soft landings been at all common, although MikeMpls reported a soft landing here several years ago.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
As the OP - Looks like I am going to close the year with 100-110k MQM and 16-18k MQD. With the wife expecting our first in JAN, I will enjoy the rollover as my travel should be near 0 for the first quarter. Should be still able to enjoy a shot to renew PM next year with the huge rollover
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:24 pm

59 segments, $10,000+ MQD, 38K MQM

Any chance DL will have sympathy for these stats and grant me gold status?
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This has been asked before. The answer is no. There is a reason they added the AND requirement. No one to date has reported any bump and if any were to happen doubt it would be granted this year. I would possibly expect a buy back program for those close but if its offered to those 12K miles short it will be a few thousand dollars. I think AA was charging something like $2K for 3-4K miles off. You should think about doing a Mileage run, it would be cheaper

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...issed-mqm.html

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 25, 2014 at 2:36 pm
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
wouldn't bet on it. and since you can't buy segments at the end of the year I think you're stuck doing a MR/SR.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
What really stinks is due to the lack of respect given to segments qualifiers, you don't even have the option of dropping to FO for a couple months, rolling over 29 segments and quickly getting to GM next year, and on to PM. If you were that relatively close on MQM, you could start collecting points towards the next year's status in January. It appears you would have the MQDs wrapped up. But for some reason, DL doesn't allow segments qualifiers to roll over segments.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Why not fly one segment in the next few weeks?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.