Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Both that thread and that policy exists. On that thread, I posted about a friend who spends hundreds of thousands a year and is granted DM, despite only flying a few times a year.
Could it be that these people qualify for Delta360 and are given DM as a result?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could it be that these people qualify for Delta360 and are given DM as a result?
It certainly sounds like a possibility.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Corporate/ Business Owners/ Travelers that purchase a Delta Jets membership spending $100k per year also get DM status.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dd1612
Corporate/ Business Owners/ Travelers that purchase a Delta Jets membership spending $100k per year also get DM status.
What happens if someone has a personal DeltaJets membership? I would assume that they get DM too, IIRC for two people.

Or are you saying that corporate and business accounts are treated differently from personal accounts?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:50 pm

Centurion cardholders are given Platinum Medallion status.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hal Newhouser
Centurion cardholders are given Platinum Medallion status.
OP wants DM without meeting the MQM requirements. I think the OP expects to requal for PM without a problem.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP wants DM without meeting the MQM requirements. I think the OP expects to requal for PM without a problem.
I'm aware of that.

The point is there's a lot of spending associated with the Centurian and that nets you PM.

The OP's spending is minimal and he wants DM. That's a very unrealistic expectation on the OP's part.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Smile

Originally Posted by dd1612
If you don't have to fly at all......and still maintain your status....... you will have little or no effect on those that fly and get benefits like the 1st class upgrades.

If you are just maintaining status to fly occasionally then it is perfect, or till you start flying again in year 3.
That is exactly my plan....in addition to being a DM, I also maintain UA 1K and LH Senator statuses....in these "off years" with DL, I can focus on the other airlines/programs while only flying DL when it is convenient....
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Diamond
I soooooo wish what the OP wants happens for him because I'm in a similar situation. I'll be Platinum in MQD, but possibly as low as Silver in MQM.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
Will most likely make it to DM this year - but starting grad school next year... so no bueno
Old Jul 16, 2014, 3:00 pm

No

Originally Posted by SCMConsult
As it stands right now, I have a decent likelihood of hitting the MQD number for Diamond but be short of MQMs. (Right now I have 46K MQMs and 7.5k MQD and 23k CC spend)

What do you guys think are the chances that if I hit the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but miss on miles that DL will "give me" Diamond status for next year?

I tried searching for the question - but had a hard time finding anything due to the specific question.

Thanks
[SIZE="4"They will not. It is a little like the student that comes to a professor and says, "but I am just 10 points away from an "A" in the course. The professor says, "sorry, because if I did that, those with needing 11, 12, and 13 points make the same pitch. So, DL and the professor determines what one needs to hit the mark and sticks to it.

[/SIZE]Robert Frost once defined education as: 'hanging around til you catch on.'
Old Jul 16, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
[SIZE="4"They will not. It is a little like the student that comes to a professor and says, "but I am just 10 points away from an "A" in the course. The professor says, "sorry, because if I did that, those with needing 11, 12, and 13 points make the same pitch. So, DL and the professor determines what one needs to hit the mark and sticks to it.

[/SIZE]Robert Frost once defined education as: 'hanging around til you catch on.'
+1 Exactly.

With my $25k of DL Amex spend, I "technically" hit the MQD requirement for DM. Maybe if I call, they will move me up to DM
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers

+1

I was going to reply but everyone else has beat me to it and it seems that OP has also bowed out at this point.

Still, as a former teacher, FlyingWithers's example above is spot on. Everyone knows the cutoff point going in, and it's up to them to either cross it or not. Soft landings are a way to recognize past behavior in a way that encourages future behavior. What the OP is asking for is a freebie that would only encourage others who didn't meet the cut to ask for something they didn't earn.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was what DL was selling MQM's for last year to Plat's who didn't quite make Diamond --

2,500 MQMs for $795
5,000 MQMs for $1195
7,500 MQMs for $1595
10,000 MQMs for $1995

Why would DL simply "gift" one status for coming up short of MQM's, when they could sell you the miles for this kind of dough. After all, they are all about the dollars now.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz 5*, SPG
Originally Posted by LBJ
This was what DL was selling MQM's for last year to Plat's who didn't quite make Diamond --

2,500 MQMs for $795
5,000 MQMs for $1195
7,500 MQMs for $1595
10,000 MQMs for $1995

Why would DL simply "gift" one status for coming up short of MQM's, when they could sell you the miles for this kind of dough. After all, they are all about the dollars now.
Exactly.

On a separate note, I'm astounded that anyone would pay these prices instead of just taking a MR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.