Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:24 pm
Suspended

If you have enough MQDs, but are short on MQMs I suggest you do a mileage run.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
I have been wondering what will happen once I reach 250 MQMs this year. I will then have qualified for DM for two years since 125k will roll over into the following year. How about my MQDs? Will any spend over $12.5k also roll over? If not, rollover MQMs will be useless since you still have to spend the MQDs to re-qualify......
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no rollover for MQD's as mentioned numerous times. Your rollover example is rather extreme. There are many who don't rollover that much and will still find them quite useful. There are also many who are exempt from the MQD requirement via the $25K Delta Amex spend exemption.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
That is an understatement !
+ 1

DL has historically been very stringent about not permitting any exception(s) to the Medallion rules. Why should they deviate from that policy now, given their profitability and also risk the loyalty of those who have been living with those rules?
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA: 1K 1.5MM, DL: LTDM 3.5MM, JB: Mosaic4, LH: exSEN 1MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite, Hertz PresC
Smile

Originally Posted by LBJ
There's no rollover for MQD's as mentioned numerous times. Your rollover example is rather extreme. There are many who don't rollover that much and will still find them quite useful. There are also many who are exempt from the MQD requirement via the $25K Delta Amex spend exemption.
Good point. In my second year I will just spend 25k on my DL Amex and I don't have to fly at all......and still maintain my status.......
Old Jul 12, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by personalflotationdevice
my speculation:

For the op, virtually 0% chance. $7500 in mqd isn't remarkable. exactly

but could i see dl granting some exemptions to someone who say does
$30k mqd and still falls short of gold? sure. Likely? Maybe, maybe not. If the trend is toward dl valuing the premium travel, it's definitely not out of the question.
i agree this is a possibility.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
i agree this is a possibility.
That was me last year, I had to do a quick 1 hour round trip to just hit 100 segments and had ~$30,000. I should hit PM again, right now I'm still at Silver on MQM & MQS, but over DM on MQD.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Those that claim that DL never bends rules are wrong. We've seen a number of posts of FT of folks being granted status. I don't know where the thread is but there was someone who posted about never flying but spending an enormous amount of the Amex (I think hundreds of thousands of dollars) and getting a letter informing them of being granted medallion status.

That being said, I don't think OP is the kind of spender that DL would notice. My guess is that they probably have some kind algorithm that alerts them to certain spending patterns or spending levels that might require individual evaluation in terms of customer relationship management that goes beyond rules of the medallion program.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
My speculation:

For the OP, virtually 0% chance. $7500 in MQD isn't remarkable.

But could I see DL granting some exemptions to someone who say does $30K MQD and still falls short of Gold? Sure. Likely? Maybe, maybe not. If the trend is toward DL valuing the premium travel, it's definitely not out of the question.

Agree with posters that say this could inflate the upper ranks, but if they do this to folks who are flying primarily international J/connecting domestic F, these folks' new status isn't really going to inflate the upgrade pool--if DL was granting exemptions at only very high levels of MQD, these folks are already up front.

Of course the irony is that many paid-J travelers may not care as much about program benefits--since they're buying up front in the first place.

For the record, I'm an occasional but not frequent paid-J traveler...
The irony also is that a single ticket in full J can meet the MQD requirement.

I could see DL making some exceptions and giving FO/GM/PM status to extremely high spend passengers who don't meet the MQM/MQS requirements, especially if they ahve recently begun to fly DL or have greatly increased their flying, but I don't think this will happen for DM. So far, DL hasn't been very generous in offering status matches or challenges at the DM level except possibly as part of a lucrative corporate contract.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Christefan
I have been wondering what will happen once I reach 250 MQMs this year. I will then have qualified for DM for two years since 125k will roll over into the following year. How about my MQDs? Will any spend over $12.5k also roll over? If not, rollover MQMs will be useless since you still have to spend the MQDs to re-qualify......
Perhaps this is DL's plan?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
If you have enough MQDs, but are short on MQMs I suggest you do a mileage run.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:39 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is DL's plan.
Fixed your post.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 5:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Will any spend over $12.5k also roll over? If not, rollover MQMs will be useless since you still have to spend the MQDs to re-qualify......
Perhaps for your situation, but for many of us, the MQDs are the easy part. Those of us who purchase short hop last minute fares hit the spend requirement for DM early in the year, when we are still only requalified for FO based on miles or segments. For us, the rollover is as good as before. Of course, it would be better if there were rollover segments, but that's for another rant.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Those that claim that DL never bends rules are wrong. We've seen a number of posts of FT of folks being granted status. I don't know where the thread is but there was someone who posted about never flying but spending an enormous amount of the Amex (I think hundreds of thousands of dollars) and getting a letter informing them of being granted medallion status.
Both that thread and that policy exists. On that thread, I posted about a friend who spends hundreds of thousands a year and is granted DM, despite only flying a few times a year.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
In my second year I will just spend 25k on my DL Amex and I don't have to fly at all......and still maintain my status.......
And your status give you just what benefit if you don't fly at all on DL?
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:18 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Good point. In my second year I will just spend 25k on my DL Amex and I don't have to fly at all......and still maintain my status.......
If you don't have to fly at all......and still maintain your status....... you will have little or no effect on those that fly and get benefits like the 1st class upgrades.

If you are just maintaining status to fly occasionally then it is perfect, or till you start flying again in year 3.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.