Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm sure a majority of those here don't want to see how high the MQD requirement would go if the miles/segment requirement. It would not shock me if it went to $50K+ for diamond without figuring CC spend.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
MQD's were just meant to set a floor to weed out the lowest tier of spenders. If they allowed qualification purely on MQD's at the current MQD thresholds, they'd end up seriously inflating the upper ranks.
This is a good comment

MQD's at $12,500 is there to do a couple of things, one to weed out really low value flyers and two to encourage folks to fly Delta rather than a partner.

The problem with asking for a bump is $12,500 is low revenue for a Diamond. If your revenue was $60,000 you might be able to ask for Diamond but even then I'd think you'd be rejected. Those HVC's with Revenue above $75,000 are all Diamond anyway as it is basically impossible to not get 125,000 MQM's with $75,000 spend

15 years ago you could get status based on $ from TWA

$5,000 Silver (DL's level TWA called them different names)
$10,000 Gold
$20,000 Platinum

If DL set elite on $ today I'm sure it would be nearer

$7500 silver
$15,000 gold
$30,000 Platinum
$50,000 Diamond

Then Bubba would be happy
Old Jul 11, 2014, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why even bother with the MQM/MQS component anymore? Delta has made it quite clear they only care about revenue. If I spent $12,500 MQD but only traveled 50,000 MQM then I am probably more profitable than someone who spent $12,500 MQD but traveled 125,000 MQM.
That's pretty much how WN's program works. Status is spend based and the higher fare classes have a higher points multiplier. So $1000 of Business Select fares earn 12,000 points, but $1000 of cheap Wanna Getta Away fares only earns 6000 points. Could be that's how all programs will work in the future. Who knows.

The advantage of requiring both MQD and MQM/MQS thresholds be met is that there is an incentive to fly well above and beyond the base MQD amount for many. How many Gold and Platinum's would stop buying DL tickets if they hit Diamond as soon as they spent $12,500? Requiring them to also meet the mileage/segment component keeps they flying above the base spend threshold to attain the next status level.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 11, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why even bother with the MQM/MQS component anymore? Delta has made it quite clear they only care about revenue. If I spent $12,500 MQD but only traveled 50,000 MQM then I am probably more profitable than someone who spent $12,500 MQD but traveled 125,000 MQM.
+1
But the amount would definitely need to go up. I already have $46k in MQDs for the year, so why should someone get the same level as me with $12,500 if it is to be based on dollars spent?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yessams
I am in a similar boat, however I am a segment flyer with a higher spend. At least you have rollover MQMs that would assist you every other year.
I'm in the same boat, too, although will likely eke DM on miles or segments.

OP, being at 7.5k MQD at this point in the year puts you in the slow lane. Do you realize how many of us burned through the requirement within the first couple months of the year? My spend is triple yours at this point, yet I know I'm not a profitable enough customer for DL to waive other DM qualification requirements. Many on this board spend much more. 15k/year is hardly smoking past the paltry MQD requirement.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by kelvinj
Wow. Thanks for bringing this up. It has opened my eyes, as I don't really put a lot of thought into the fact that this situation exists. I guess because it isn't my situation, I don't think about it. But, I do feel bad that someone could spend that much $$$ and not make Diamond. I always assume Delta is hoping to weed out people who earn 125 MQM but spend little to get Diamond status. Is it possible that people like Dilbertsdaddy represent a small group of people who are like innocent bystanders getting slain in this MQM/MQD turf war for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time?
The basis for status is the number of MQMs (or segments). Delta has since created a secondary qualification that one has to meet, MQDs (or Amex spend). Meeting a secondary qualification will in no way override the primary means of qualification. To argue otherwise is wishful thinking at best.

No one here is an innocent bystander "getting slain." To say that diminishes actual cases where innocent bystanders were indeed slain. And no, it's not just a figure of speech.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MLCJ
+1
But the amount would definitely need to go up. I already have $46k in MQDs for the year, so why should someone get the same level as me with $12,500 if it is to be based on dollars spent?
It's not based on dollars spent, it's based on MQMs. The MQD is a secondary qualifier.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SCMConsult
As it stands right now, I have a decent likelihood of hitting the MQD number for Diamond but be short of MQMs. (Right now I have 46K MQMs and 7.5k MQD and 23k CC spend)

What do you guys think are the chances that if I hit the CC spend and the Diamond MQD but miss on miles that DL will "give me" Diamond status for next year?

I tried searching for the question - but had a hard time finding anything due to the specific question.

Thanks
As you're currently only a PM, you're really asking for a soft takeoff not a soft landing. Unless you qualify for DM on the basis of MQSs, may I please answer your question by saying that I sincerely hope not? The MQD requirement should thin the herd, not "fatten" it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SCMConsult
Yes- and I am going to SMOKE the DM MQD number but will fall short on MQM - so with the focus on $$$ at DL I was wondering if there was a shot.

IMO - Delta cares about cash money bottom line. The MQD number was put in to reward those who spend more by limiting the number of medallions who attain status without providing them much revenue. Therefore, I don't think it would be that insane for them to "give" status to someone who attains MQD but not MQM. To whomever said it wouldn't be fair to "boost" and have me with 45k rollover - I would assume that if I received a "boost" I would start the year with 0 MQMs.

To LBJ's remark about 12.5 being a "low" amount for Diamond. Let's make some assumptions here:

1) Delta actually cares about maximizing profit
2) Profit = Revenue - Cost
3) MQD = Revenue
4) MQM/MQS = Cost
5) By virtue of point 1 -flyers Delta cares the most about are those that provide a high profit
6) Therefore --> Value to Delta = MQD - MQM

If all of those points are true - the most valuable flyers are those with the biggest difference between revenue and cost. Therefore someone who hits a high MQD in comparison to their MQMs would be a very profitable flyer.

I feel like folks are getting a tad hostile on this thread (in fact this forum on a whole has gotten very hostile and pessimistic which is why I don't log in very often anymore). All I was asking if you thought it was plausible that they bump some people. I am not asking for it, saying I deserve it, or crying that I deserve it.
1) actually DL should care about its market valuation, which is normally positively correlated with profits but not equivalent. For example, sometimes a company can increase its short term profits at the expense of longer run prospects; such actions should result in a decrease in the market price for its outstanding shares.

4) costs are much more complicated that MQM/MQS. Every takeoff and landing is expensive, so that a direct flight with stops is normally more expense to operate than a nonstop from origin to destination. Part of the aded cost is fuel and part is time, not only of staff who must be paid but also the opportunity cost of flying from origin to destination more quickly and then using the aircraft for another segment. In addition, takeoffs and landings mean wear and tear on the aircraft, resulting in more maintenance and also sooner "checks" which are based on cycles more than flight miles.

6) if this were true, then DL should give top elite status to someone who spends a lot of money on perhaps nonrefundable tickets but never uses them. This is the antithesis of legacy FF programs that all make clear that one doesn't earn credit toward FF status for flights that are just purchased if the flights are not also flown.

5) it's fine to say that DL should reward profitability, but to do so precisely would be equivalent to giving lots and lots of proprietary and confidential information to DL's competitors.

Finally, if we accept (which I do not) 1), 2), 3), and 4), then 6) is wrong: by your reasoning,

Profit = MQD - (MQM/MQS), which does not equal MQD - MQM unless MQS = 1.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 12:40 am

Programs: DL DM 360, Qatar Plat, Etihad Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by jspira
It's not based on dollars spent, it's based on MQMs. The MQD is a secondary qualifier.
I understand that, I have over 180k MQMs. The quote I was replying to was regarding moving the entire Medallion program to only dollars spent.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by MLCJ
I understand that, I have over 180k MQMs. The quote I was replying to was regarding moving the entire Medallion program to only dollars spent.
That would REALLY think the ranks.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Hal Newhouser

What's a bit odd is that you seem to think you can convince someone--Flyertalk members, Delta, or both--that you deserve Diamond despite not meeting all the requirements. You're not going to find sympathy for that either here or at Delta.
That is an understatement !
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
You all are too predictable. I knew this would turn into MQD/MQM measuring contest.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
My speculation:

For the OP, virtually 0% chance. $7500 in MQD isn't remarkable.

But could I see DL granting some exemptions to someone who say does $30K MQD and still falls short of Gold? Sure. Likely? Maybe, maybe not. If the trend is toward DL valuing the premium travel, it's definitely not out of the question.

Agree with posters that say this could inflate the upper ranks, but if they do this to folks who are flying primarily international J/connecting domestic F, these folks' new status isn't really going to inflate the upgrade pool--if DL was granting exemptions at only very high levels of MQD, these folks are already up front.

Of course the irony is that many paid-J travelers may not care as much about program benefits--since they're buying up front in the first place.

For the record, I'm an occasional but not frequent paid-J traveler...
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
No chance. My colleague just barely made PM last year and had nearly $15K in spending. Delta didn't do anything for him nor will they this year if he's in the same position (which I doubt because he hasn't traveled very much this year...but I most certainly have...coincidence?).

It would make more sense for Delta to offer SM status to someone who is short of the 25K MQM requirement and a relatively high spend. That person would be far more likely to fly DL in the future. NWA gave me SE status back in 2008 after only about 10K EQMs when I always went with the cheapest flight, no matter the airline. I haven't flown on anything other than a NW or DL ticket since.

Someone who is PM with DL probably tries to fly them exclusively or as one of only a couple of airlines, at least if they are purchasing domestic Y fares. In that case, DL would like a carrot in front of them to get them to fly more. If they don't try to stick with DL, they are probably buying F and J fares on the most convenient airline. In that case, their status doesn't matter that much and DL won't benefit by giving them a soft landing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.