Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Will Delta Provide "Soft" Status for MQD but missed MQM

Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Which is why they run all those offers giving people Platinum after only three flights, or after a single BE ticket, and so on. DL is not trying to prune the medallion ranks.
Don't forget all the double MQM promotions!

LOL @ anyone who thinks DL is trying to thin the herd. They want as much herd as they can possibly squeeze in. They just want each member of that herd to have paid more for it.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: SPG LIfetime Plat, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Wannabe, Hilton Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SCMConsult
...I am going to SMOKE the DM MQD number but will fall short on MQM - so with the focus on $$$ at DL I was wondering if there was a shot.
I see your point and can certainly imagine in the future the rules for status will evolve toward $ from miles/segs. But for next year, 0% chance your spend gets you a bump.

PS:
I'm a Gold (earned by seg's) that spends above the Plat MQD (in fact may well hit the DM MQD). I feel your pain and will cross my fingers.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes- and I am going to SMOKE the DM MQD number but will fall short on MQM - so with the focus on $$$ at DL I was wondering if there was a shot.
I can't say I agree that the focus on $$$'s started with MQD's. I'd say they've been focused on it well before MQD's. They've actually had a "Value" score based on spend for some time now (for awhile, you could get your score from the website if you knew the right URL). There's the Delta360 program for those who DL believes to be true HVC's. Other than that, I wouldn't expect any bump-ups just as in the pre-MQD days.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:56 am

My guess with the CC spend the odds are 0. If you had a situation where you had $25k MQD but only 110,00 MQM they might consider that.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:58 am

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
I would not rule anything out. Initially, the computer will probably just do its thing and you will be Plat. But, as your analysis points out, they like $$. I could easily see a scenerio of letting you earn DM status by flying a certain number of miles in a defined time period in 2015 or some other scenerio.

Everyone here says Delta does not give soft landings anymore, but they have. Since this is the first go round, I would not be surprised to see tweeking going on as March 2015 approaches.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tvnwz
I would not rule anything out. Initially, the computer will probably just do its thing and you will be Plat. But, as your analysis points out, they like $$. I could easily see a scenerio of letting you earn DM status by flying a certain number of miles in a defined time period in 2015 or some other scenerio.

Everyone here says Delta does not give soft landings anymore, but they have. Since this is the first go round, I would not be surprised to see tweeking going on as March 2015 approaches.
There are possibilities and there are probabilities. Anything as far as Delta & status is possible but the scenario that the OP is playing doesn't lend itself to any probability that Delta is going to gift him Diamond status.

In fact, the OP's current stats--46K MQMs and 7.5k MQD and 23k CC spend, as he stated in his opening post--are absolutely unremarkable. Delta isn't going to gift anyone anything for those stats. That's a slow year for many here.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Hal Newhouser
I don't read anyone as being hostile to you in this thread.

The situation is quite simple: Delta is not going to give you Diamond. You'll need to earn it per the very clear requirements.

What's a bit odd is that you seem to think you can convince someone--Flyertalk members, Delta, or both--that you deserve Diamond despite not meeting all the requirements. You're not going to find sympathy for that either here or at Delta.
Not trying to convince anyone just trying to have a nice friendly talk about probabilities and possibilities as someone else stated. Trying to raise some points I see as valid and have some discussion. As expected all I got in return mostly 0 substantive discussion, more b*^ching and moaning from DL flyers about how the sky is falling, and hostility that I would even bring up the idea.

Originally Posted by Hal Newhouser
There are possibilities and there are probabilities. Anything as far as Delta & status is possible but the scenario that the OP is playing doesn't lend itself to any probability that Delta is going to gift him Diamond status.

In fact, the OP's current stats...are absolutely unremarkable. Delta isn't going to gift anyone anything for those stats. That's a slow year for many here.
I'm not claiming to be the guy spending the most money and this is also a slow year for me. With the tickets I have booked and travel I have coming up I think I am going to end up at about 18k and 118k spend.

Again not claiming I deserve anything - I just think that given the new program - there are going to be others like me that are going to be "upside down" on spend. Thought it would be a worthwhile and productive discussion vs. a majority of the small violins plays sad sad songs on here.

(I say upside down because many had a nuclear meltdown worries that they would have the miles and not the spend when the program was announced)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:06 pm

As expected all I got in return mostly 0 substantive discussion, more b*^ching and moaning from DL flyers about how the sky is falling, and hostility that I would even bring up the idea.

Thought it would be a worthwhile and productive discussion vs. a majority of the small violins plays sad sad songs on here.
You're overplaying your descriptions of those you've chosen to view as your opponents. No one is moaning. No one is playing small violins. There's no need for you to misportray others.

As far as your arguments, you're conflating two distinct issues.

Issue 1: Your question of whether you'll get Diamond status gifted for 2015. The answer is no. Very very low probability of that happening.

Issue 2: You seem to want to start a discussion about whether or not MQDs should have a greater weighting as far as Medallion requirements in the future.

Issue 1 is pretty cut and dried.

Issue 2 might be interesting to some. It seems of interest to you. Personally, I find it to be uninteresting.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MQD's were just meant to set a floor to weed out the lowest tier of spenders. If they allowed qualification purely on MQD's at the current MQD thresholds, they'd end up seriously inflating the upper ranks. There will likely be a number who will be above the MQM threshold, but just short of the MQD requirements. Some have speculated there may be a year end MQD buy offer similar to the MQM buy up offer.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 11, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater

To LBJ's remark about 12.5 being a "low" amount for Diamond.
I have $29K MQD already....but not enough MQM for DM next year. And I blew the AX spend out of the water months ago....

This is why I always scratch my head when people complain about the MQD requirement......this is exactly who they are trying to downgrade!

I still have no idea how someone gets 125K MQM without spending $12.5K! Unless you had a lot of rollover and had a down year for travel...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
Edit: I have no idea why my post didn't place correctly. To briefly summarize, I was just responding dilbertsdaddy above pointing out that mileage runs or well planned leisure travel can easily result in DM for less than $12.5k. Six trips to SIN picked up at a decent (not even amazing) fare can result in DM MQM for $7500, and sometimes that can be considerably less when a good deal is available.

That's where the whole MQD debate stems from - is someone who makes those six trips to SIN really more valuable to DL than someone who may spend $15,000 on domestic trips to small cities and barely qualify for GM?

I'm nowhere near the discussion of DL's most valuable customers, but in the past I usually qualified as a FO quite comfortably by segments without reaching the FO MQM requirement. However, because my trips were generally fairly pricey, I spent a lot of money to rack up segments just hopping around the Midwest. I would end up spending around $500 for a lot of round-trips back in the NW days to be rewarded with 2,000 EQM and 4 EQS. Do that twelve times and you've spent $6,000 to get 24,000 EQM and 48 EQS. Meanwhile, someone who picks up five TCON round-trips at $300 can spend $1,500 and already clear 25,000 EQM; make it $3,000 for 10 round-trips and you're GM. In that period, a lot more profit was made off me paying twice as much for short flights compared to someone with a higher status flying more than twice as many miles.

Last edited by steex; Jul 11, 2014 at 3:21 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I have $29K MQD already....but not enough MQM for DM next year. And I blew the AX spend out of the water months ago....

This is why I always scratch my head when people complain about the MQD requirement......this is exactly who they are trying to downgrade!

I still have no idea how someone gets 125K MQM without spending $12.5K! Unless you had a lot of rollover and had a down year for travel...

Wow. Thanks for bringing this up. It has opened my eyes, as I don't really put a lot of thought into the fact that this situation exists. I guess because it isn't my situation, I don't think about it. But, I do feel bad that someone could spend that much $$$ and not make Diamond. I always assume Delta is hoping to weed out people who earn 125 MQM but spend little to get Diamond status. Is it possible that people like Dilbertsdaddy represent a small group of people who are like innocent bystanders getting slain in this MQM/MQD turf war for simply being in the wrong place at the wrong time?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy

I am in a similar boat, however I am a segment flyer with a higher spend. At least you have rollover MQMs that would assist you every other year.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Why even bother with the MQM/MQS component anymore? Delta has made it quite clear they only care about revenue. If I spent $12,500 MQD but only traveled 50,000 MQM then I am probably more profitable than someone who spent $12,500 MQD but traveled 125,000 MQM.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Why even bother with the MQM/MQS component anymore? Delta has made it quite clear they only care about revenue. If I spent $12,500 MQD but only traveled 50,000 MQM then I am probably more profitable than someone who spent $12,500 MQD but traveled 125,000 MQM.
+1

Though, I am sure that some folks with huge amounts of rollover MQMs would disagree.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.