Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines when flying on Delta ticket

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines when flying on Delta ticket

Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28

I stopped flying code share flights because of this but flying out of Lihue you're stuck with HA.
That's not true. Our last trip to Kauai was Delta metal all the way, including LIH-LAX-SLC-BOI coming back.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BHammy
Then how did I get 3 bags checked for free?
How did the guy next to me get 2x 70lb bags checked for free?

Hawaiian Airlines website, customer service and email says:
"originating carrier FEES AND RULES" which leaves plenty of room for interpretation.
Elite exceptions are considered part of the elite program, not the baggage rules. Check the forum, there's multiple posts that verify that.

If you have the first segment in F even upgraded, then the F allowance will follow you.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Elite exceptions are considered part of the elite program, not the baggage rules. Check the forum, there's multiple posts that verify that.

If you have the first segment in F even upgraded, then the F allowance will follow you.
I've found over the years that it's not gospel to follow forum posts (no offense to anybody here), but rather to truly find out what the legit rules are...and how to bend them.

And according to Delta's own customer service - my last email from them - even with an F upg on the first segment, that does NOT apply to a connection checkin with HA (which is what I had, and her previous email eluded to...but backtracked when I called her on it)

So, yes, there are rules - and if you wish to follow them to a T without question, go for it. I on the otherhand, find alot of 'rules' quite ambiguous and willing to find out why:
- I got 3 free checked bags when I should have gotten none.
- my daughter, no medallion status, not military, got 7 free checked bags on her last flight
- my travel mate got 2x 70lb checked bags on same HA segment.
- last night when I asked to link records for my wife and I to get the same baggage allowance (3x 70s for intl as I'm upg'd to D1), the DM desk says that it doesn't apply to different travel classes. But when she checked the record, the previous DM agent denoted that they did get my baggage allowance because they are traveling with me.

There are TOO MANY discrepancies within "the rules" that either need to get ironed out...in black and white...or I certainly want to know what I'm getting into BEFORE I travel, not during.

So, I'm certainly not wasting my time.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by danielonn
So if you have the DL AMEX Card your bag fee would or would not be waived for the HA portion? HA is not even part of the Sky Alliance as they are part of the Oneworld Alliance.
HA is not a part, or even a member, of the Oneworld Alliance.
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Old Jul 4, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold
Tangentially

Check through when you can.

Recently had itinerary BOS>SEA>HNL>NRT>HNL>OGG>SEA>BOS for which the HNL>OGG leg was on HA metal and the rest of the trip was F/D1. (Could not do seat selection through the Delta site or call centers for the HA flight so logged in separately to HA and handled it there.) I had concerns about being charged for three bags for the HA flight, and a very kind SkyClub agent at HNL on the trip out printed out my entire itinerary, all flights and confirmation numbers, and encouraged me to call the Platinum number, where an equally wonderful agent made numerous notes in the system so that my return bags could be checked through from NRT to BOS. The notes and printed list were just the thing I needed at check-in at NRT (excellent check-in crew there) and equally valuable post-customs at HNL, where seeing the baggage tags to BOS, Delta agents happily whisked my bags away into the conveyor maw.

Given that I was not considered an elite FF by HA or in a premium seat, one HA agent I chatted with thought the cost to check in my bags with HA would have been between $85 and $120, or a fair amount of time and effort getting DL to weigh in. There was a lot of uncertainty with both HA and DL as to whether bags that had not been checked through would have been accepted at the Delta HNL baggage checkin for the HNL to OGG inter island flight (DL code share).

Fly safely,

waywardflf

Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by kchoya
That's not true. Our last trip to Kauai was Delta metal all the way, including LIH-LAX-SLC-BOI coming back.
OP was talking LIH-HNL
And trust me I just flew that 3 weeks ago.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28
OP was talking LIH-HNL
And trust me I just flew that 3 weeks ago.
Sorry, I read your statement that "I stopped flying code share flights because of this but flying out of Lihue you're stuck with HA" to mean you can only get to/from LIH via codeshare (if you're on Delta).

I guess the lesson is, don't go through HNL if you don't want to pay baggage fees.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Will HA charge me bag fees if it's a DL codeshare?

Looking to book a flight OGG-LGA, which involves the first leg (OGG-HNL) operated by Hawaiian Airlines. I remember from a past experience that HA will not honor Delta's free bag policy.

What about this case? Would HA charge a bag fee since it is operating the first leg of the flight?

Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by yogimax
Looking to book a flight OGG-LGA, which involves the first leg (OGG-HNL) operated by Hawaiian Airlines. I remember from a past experience that HA will not honor Delta's free bag policy.

What about this case? Would HA charge a bag fee since it is operating the first leg of the flight?

Thanks!
Yes they will, flew HA from KOA-HNL on 006 stock 2 years ago and HA bag fees apply. Luckily I knew about this in advance and I knew someone who was flying DL metal back who qualifies for free bags and just gave them my bag to check.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yogimax
I remember from a past experience that HA will not honor Delta's free bag policy.
What Delta free bag policy do you think should apply?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Yes. HA will charge you a bag fee. Also, from my experience they will weigh and verify your carry on when you check in as well. IMO, they are an airline to avoid.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What Delta free bag policy do you think should apply?
Medallion Waived Baggage Fees IN ADDITION TO AMEX Reserve Card Free Baggage.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like DL needs to offer bag fee reimbursements, especially for medallions.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WWads
Sounds like DL needs to offer bag fee reimbursements, especially for medallions.
Yes, or at the very least placing a warning on the booking website that HA will charge baggage fees.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Agree. Find another way to fly without having to use HA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.