Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines

Old Jul 1, 16, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28 View Post

I stopped flying code share flights because of this but flying out of Lihue you're stuck with HA.
That's not true. Our last trip to Kauai was Delta metal all the way, including LIH-LAX-SLC-BOI coming back.
Old Jul 1, 16, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BHammy View Post
Then how did I get 3 bags checked for free?
How did the guy next to me get 2x 70lb bags checked for free?

Hawaiian Airlines website, customer service and email says:
"originating carrier FEES AND RULES" which leaves plenty of room for interpretation.
Elite exceptions are considered part of the elite program, not the baggage rules. Check the forum, there's multiple posts that verify that.

If you have the first segment in F even upgraded, then the F allowance will follow you.
Old Jul 1, 16, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL-DM (MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Elite exceptions are considered part of the elite program, not the baggage rules. Check the forum, there's multiple posts that verify that.

If you have the first segment in F even upgraded, then the F allowance will follow you.
I've found over the years that it's not gospel to follow forum posts (no offense to anybody here), but rather to truly find out what the legit rules are...and how to bend them.

And according to Delta's own customer service - my last email from them - even with an F upg on the first segment, that does NOT apply to a connection checkin with HA (which is what I had, and her previous email eluded to...but backtracked when I called her on it)

So, yes, there are rules - and if you wish to follow them to a T without question, go for it. I on the otherhand, find alot of 'rules' quite ambiguous and willing to find out why:
- I got 3 free checked bags when I should have gotten none.
- my daughter, no medallion status, not military, got 7 free checked bags on her last flight
- my travel mate got 2x 70lb checked bags on same HA segment.
- last night when I asked to link records for my wife and I to get the same baggage allowance (3x 70s for intl as I'm upg'd to D1), the DM desk says that it doesn't apply to different travel classes. But when she checked the record, the previous DM agent denoted that they did get my baggage allowance because they are traveling with me.

There are TOO MANY discrepancies within "the rules" that either need to get ironed out...in black and white...or I certainly want to know what I'm getting into BEFORE I travel, not during.

So, I'm certainly not wasting my time.
Old Jul 3, 16, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by danielonn View Post
So if you have the DL AMEX Card your bag fee would or would not be waived for the HA portion? HA is not even part of the Sky Alliance as they are part of the Oneworld Alliance.
HA is not a part, or even a member, of the Oneworld Alliance.
https://www.oneworld.com/member-airlines/overview
Old Jul 4, 16, 10:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold
Tangentially

Check through when you can.

Recently had itinerary BOS>SEA>HNL>NRT>HNL>OGG>SEA>BOS for which the HNL>OGG leg was on HA metal and the rest of the trip was F/D1. (Could not do seat selection through the Delta site or call centers for the HA flight so logged in separately to HA and handled it there.) I had concerns about being charged for three bags for the HA flight, and a very kind SkyClub agent at HNL on the trip out printed out my entire itinerary, all flights and confirmation numbers, and encouraged me to call the Platinum number, where an equally wonderful agent made numerous notes in the system so that my return bags could be checked through from NRT to BOS. The notes and printed list were just the thing I needed at check-in at NRT (excellent check-in crew there) and equally valuable post-customs at HNL, where seeing the baggage tags to BOS, Delta agents happily whisked my bags away into the conveyor maw.

Given that I was not considered an elite FF by HA or in a premium seat, one HA agent I chatted with thought the cost to check in my bags with HA would have been between $85 and $120, or a fair amount of time and effort getting DL to weigh in. There was a lot of uncertainty with both HA and DL as to whether bags that had not been checked through would have been accepted at the Delta HNL baggage checkin for the HNL to OGG inter island flight (DL code share).

Fly safely,

waywardflf

Old Jul 4, 16, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond Elite ***Princess Status***
Originally Posted by kchoya View Post
That's not true. Our last trip to Kauai was Delta metal all the way, including LIH-LAX-SLC-BOI coming back.
OP was talking LIH-HNL
And trust me I just flew that 3 weeks ago.
Old Jul 5, 16, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by nikitta28 View Post
OP was talking LIH-HNL
And trust me I just flew that 3 weeks ago.
Sorry, I read your statement that "I stopped flying code share flights because of this but flying out of Lihue you're stuck with HA" to mean you can only get to/from LIH via codeshare (if you're on Delta).

I guess the lesson is, don't go through HNL if you don't want to pay baggage fees.
Old Yesterday, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
I'm sorry to bring up this thread 5 years later but it came up first in searches. While I do see that it's clear HA will charge a DL elite baggage when checking in at the HA counter for an inter island flight continuing to a DL flight, how about the other way around?
I assume DL is able to check a bag all the way MSP-HNL-KOA, one way.
Will there be an HA interaction where I need to pay their baggage fees? In HNL on arrival/departure from HNL-KOA?
Thanks for any help.
Old Yesterday, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by kyushuman View Post
I'm sorry to bring up this thread 5 years later but it came up first in searches. While I do see that it's clear HA will charge a DL elite baggage when checking in at the HA counter for an inter island flight continuing to a DL flight, how about the other way around?
Will there be an HA interaction where I need to pay their baggage fees? In HNL on arrival/departure from HNL-KOA?
Thanks for any help.
If its all one ticket, DL is in charge of checking the bags in this situation and their bag rules apply. When you arrive and if your bags are damaged or delayed, HA is then responsible for filing a claim and delivering your bags (even if it was DLs fault).
Old Yesterday, 7:27 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP
Thanks for any help.
There's a few concepts at play.

DL and HA have an interline agreement, which means your bags can be checked through to your final destination (e.g. KOA). This does not even require a codeshare; DL and LH do not codeshare or have any frequent flyer cooperation, yet on a ATL-(DL)-FRA-(LH)-RIX itinerary, they could get your checked bag to RIX. The carrier operating each flight matters for an interline agreement.

There are two things that determine how much you pay for your bags. I suggest that you read this TripAdvisor article on the First Marketing Carrier and Most Significant Carrier rules if you would like to understand the nuance. In your case, Delta's fee schedule (but not necessarily waivers for frequent flyer status or credit cards) will be applied.

Frequent flyer and credit card waivers are calculated and applied every time you check in, by whichever carrier you check in with. So if you check in with Hawaiian, don't expect a free bag because you have Delta elite status or a Delta credit card.
Old Yesterday, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
If its all one ticket, DL is in charge of checking the bags in this situation and their bag rules apply. When you arrive and if your bags are damaged or delayed, HA is then responsible for filing a claim and delivering your bags (even if it was DLs fault).
Thanks! That's great to know. We will each have one (if not two) bags. So if we check in and check our bags with DL in the mainland, bags on the HA connection flight in Hawaii would be free.
For this reaaon we've switched our KOA-HNL tickets from HA (using DL miles) to a Southwest flight. HA charges for bags, Southwest gives 2 bags free. HA was $79 or 7500 Skymiles; Southwest $38.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Thanks! That's great to know. We will each have one (if not two) bags. So if we check in and check our bags with DL in the mainland, bags on the HA connection flight in Hawaii would be free.
For this reaaon we've switched our KOA-HNL tickets from HA (using DL miles) to a Southwest flight. HA charges for bags, Southwest gives 2 bags free. HA was $79 or 7500 Skymiles; Southwest $38.
I did the same thing (took SWA back to HNL) and I have to say I much preferred WN to HA. HA has tight Spirit/Frontier style seats with 29 inch pitch on their 717s with no recline and tiny tray-tables while WN flies their much roomier/comfortable 737s (never thought Id say that) with 32 inch pitch that was probably only 1/2 full so everyone also got an empty middle seat.
kyushuman likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: