Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines when flying on Delta ticket

Baggage Fee on Flight Operated by Hawaiian Airlines when flying on Delta ticket

Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:56 am

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:42 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ROCAT
Nope no priority tags.
1. Do you think Delta would give us extra priority tags if we asked when we checked in for out flight to Hawaii?

2. Do you think Hawaiian would put them on if we asked in Lihue?
Old Jul 14, 2014, 12:49 pm

-----

Last edited by ROCAT; Mar 29, 2017 at 7:43 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL: Plat; Marriott Gold; HHonors Gold
A Slightly Different Approach

Last March, my bride and I were flying back to DTW from OGG with the first segment on HA, OGG to HNL. After considering the baggage fees on HA and the price of a same-day upgrade on the HA flight, we flew up front.
Not quite a wash but a cold beer helped.
Aloha!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
From my search, I think this is the closest applicable thread, so sorry for reopening after the time lag.

I'm flying DL ticket purchased from DL OGG-HNL-xxx, and of course OGG-HNL is operated by HA (and HNL-xxx back to U.S. is DL operated). I understand HA is not going to honor my Skymiles program benefits, so no issue there.

HA offers it's program flyers a discount on checked bags... but of course I want DL credit and boarding privileges for my HNL-xxx flight. Is there a way to use my HA FF# for Segment1 and my DL number for Segment2? For example, have the DL FF# in the acccount online but at check in at HA desk merely show my HA FF#, without having them enter it into the record?

Or, maybe I must break apart the records, use my separate PNRs, but I suspect they won't interline my bags and I'd have to recover/recheck in HNL... but are HA intra-island arrivers thrown curb-side anyway at HNL (like LAX in some instances for regional connections)?

Thx!
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Only because this got opened back up, I'll share my experience from a few weeks ago.

I inquired HA customer support as to the baggage fees of a continuing itinerary, booked via Delta, I was informed that:
"The fees and rules of the FIRST CARRIER on my ticket would apply THROUGHOUT my itinerary."
This matches what their website says, and what I was told verbally by a customer service rep as well.

However, when it came time to check in my flight from Kona to Honolulu on June 8th, the counter agent and supervisor had completely different opinions as to what baggage Hawaiian Airlines allows.

The first response is: NO, Delta rules DO NOT apply....ZERO bags allowed, must pay for all three, even when presenting the email confirmation from their very own customer service.

I ask to speak to a supervisor - who doesn't come out, they just ask to see the email from their own customer service. The gate agent comes back out and then says that the supervisor will honor three bags, but not the overweight charges. Being Delta Diamond, I'm allowed 3x 70lb bags, of which, two of mine were around 60lbs.
So, they acknowledge my rights to my allowance of the three bags - therefore understanding that the originating carrier rules apply - but would not fully honor the FULL baggage rules.

I ask to speak to the supervisor directly. Jayal (I think was her name) finally comes out from an office and absolutely will NOT honor the FULL baggage rules that her website, DOT rules, even with printouts from her own customer service center.

HOWEVER, my travel companion, checking in right next to me, says he's in the same situation. He has two 70lb bags. Jayal refuses to allow him the overweight baggage also...until he asks her to refer to the notes in the travel record from Delta. He had previously asked Delta to add notations to his travel record that he IS ALLOWED 3x 70lb bags. With that, she allows him to check his two overweight bags for no fees.
Then she takes a look over at my travel record (as I'm shifting weight around to carry ons and the other underweight bag). She doesn't see a similar note in my travel record, so she proceeds to do NOTHING to honor the EXACT same situation by another traveler. And then she disappears to her office before I can confront her upon finding out what my travel partner was able to do.

I pursued this with Delta via email for two weeks (three responses) whereby:
- it's a Delta ticket
- it's a DL flight number
- It started with Delta flight

for which the common response (from Delta) is that BASIC Delta fees and rules apply...as in NO frequent flyer status applies - not even the FC upgrade I got on my first leg. Since I bought a coach ticket, I get non-medallion, non-status baggage ...which means NO baggage.

All of which I find utterly ridiculous!

And what exceptions did get applied, were just that: "an exception"
But how I got three, and my travelmate got 3x 70lbs due to a Delta note in the record?!!

I've yet to hear back from HA on the whole matter.

I think it's crazy that Delta can sell me a ticket, with their flight number, and tell me that NOTHING from my account matters.
But to be sure, I'm having the DM desk make notes in ALL of my future itineraries that may come up in question.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BHammy
for which the common response (from Delta) is that BASIC Delta fees and rules apply...as in NO frequent flyer status applies - not even the FC upgrade I got on my first leg. Since I bought a coach ticket, I get non-medallion, non-status baggage ...which means NO baggage.

All of which I find utterly ridiculous!
You waste your time - and the time of others.

DOT's single-ticket/single baggage allowance rules call for the standard allowances to apply throughout. Not SkyMiles elite enhanced. Not credit-card enhanced.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:25 am

My question from post #20 is different from the last two posts in that I'm accepting that HA will not honor my DL status and privileges (so no free bag, 50# vs. 70#), but if I take that route and use my HA FF# to get the HA bag check discount, how do I get DL credit and boarding privileges on my second flight? Or, is the answer that I must use my DL FF# on both segments to get any DL credit on Segment2, and sacrifice any HA checked baggage discount HA gives its FFers?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Did you fly first class on your first flight? If not your weight allowance is only the coach amount.

As for number of bags across the board extra baggage is a FF plan benefit. It's not part of a carriers baggage allowance. Thus HA wouldn't need to give you the extra allowance you get with DL for elite status, only what DL'S standard allowance is.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Life Gold, ***Princess Status***
As someone that has done this multiple times-

HA could care less about your DM status

A direct quote I received from a HA gate agent "Delta does nothing for us so we do nothing for them"

You pay the bag fees, you get no priority tags, you get no priority boarding while in Hawaii.

You also CANNOT CHECK IN ONLINE ON THE DELTA APP, THERE WILL BE NO FCM, you must check in at the gate.

I stopped flying code share flights because of this but flying out of Lihue you're stuck with HA.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
My question from post #20 is different from the last two posts in that I'm accepting that HA will not honor my DL status and privileges (so no free bag, 50# vs. 70#), but if I take that route and use my HA FF# to get the HA bag check discount, how do I get DL credit and boarding privileges on my second flight? Or, is the answer that I must use my DL FF# on both segments to get any DL credit on Segment2, and sacrifice any HA checked baggage discount HA gives its FFers?

I don't know for sure if this will work, but I have done it on DL/AK when I had status with both airlines. First segment on DL, second on AK. I had my DL# in the system, so for the second flight I was on the bottom of the upgrade list. GA was able to switch from my number from DL program to AK program which put me at the top of the list for the upgrade. I would imagine DL would have the same capability once you get to HNL, but DON'T COUNT ON IT. Unfortunately, having those flights on HA will inevitably throw a wrench into the works. There is nothing pleasurable about flying HA and those flights really help you appreciate everything DL offers and all of the strides they have made in recent years. I have vowed never to fly HA again, no matter how inconvenient...even if it means if I want to go from OGG to HNL and I have a connection in LAX or SEA.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:08 pm

I had planned to do what you suggest - change FF# from HA to DL in HNL - and it has worked for me with other airlines many many years ago, but a DL supervisor on the phone told me that DL won't be able to do it... and when I challenged her by "maybe an Ops gate agent knows something a Res supervisor doesn't" she said she was 100% sure.

Again, sounds like if I want to be sure I have DL miles credit and boarding privileges, I might have to sacrifice the $10/bag savings that HA gives if one uses an HA FF# on that segment... but I hope someone can post to the contrary.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You waste your time - and the time of others.

DOT's single-ticket/single baggage allowance rules call for the standard allowances to apply throughout. Not SkyMiles elite enhanced. Not credit-card enhanced.
Then how did I get 3 bags checked for free?
How did the guy next to me get 2x 70lb bags checked for free?

Hawaiian Airlines website, customer service and email says:
"originating carrier FEES AND RULES" which leaves plenty of room for interpretation.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:34 pm

So if you have the DL AMEX Card your bag fee would or would not be waived for the HA portion? HA is not even part of the Sky Alliance as they are part of the Oneworld Alliance.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by danielonn
So if you have the DL AMEX Card your bag fee would or would not be waived for the HA portion? HA is not even part of the Sky Alliance as they are part of the Oneworld Alliance.
It would not be waived. Trust me I've tried.

Bottom line: if you're flying on HA, you get zero baggage allowances no matter what.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.