Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Sabai
Booked any award travel yet?
Anecdotes are useless. I flew an 8 segment trip flying on DL, KL, AF, VS, and AS all in low J TATL recently for 125k. Used the website, it worked fine for this trip.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Deadtail
My point is that the product is beat and uncomfortable, and has been this way for some time. The seat maintenance cycles at Delta are much longer than they should be. More often than not on a 777 the seat cushions are hard, or when reclined flat the sections don't line up and one section will be higher than another. Delta's fares seem to be as high or higher than most other airlines, at least the dates I travel. It seems they could do much better.
Are you under the impression that AA's life cycles are shorter? Being dead last to the flat bed game suggests otherwise.

As for pricing, that suggests that many people disagree and think that DL offers a quite compelling product.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by matthew64832
Anecdotes are useless. I flew an 8 segment trip flying on DL, KL, AF, VS, and AS all in low J TATL recently for 125k. Used the website, it worked fine for this trip.
I agree; anecdotes are useless.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cmd320
All widebody ski-slopes should be gone from intercontinental flying by the end of 2015.
By my calendar, that is still nearly 18 months away. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested to see how the merger shakes out and whether AA can make good on becoming a real premium carrier, but until they have flat beds, they will see a discount for J travel from myself and others. At times, thankfully, that discount is substantial, as it is for my upcoming trip to Peru.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Booked any award travel yet?
I agree; anecdotes are useless.
Then why did you solicit anecdotes in the first place?

Originally Posted by lamont2718
All of these seats are superior to the B/E Parallel Diamond seats on LH and KL, as well as the the yin-yang seats on BA. AA J may catch up to DL J eventually, but it will take several years of refurbishments and retirements.
There are actually a handful of BA seats that can be really nice for the solo traveller, aside from the awkward food service that results from the setup.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Then why did you solicit anecdotes in the first place?
+1, my point exactly.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by cmd320
AA J may catch up to DL J eventually, but it will take several years of refurbishments and retirements.
All widebody ski-slopes should be gone from intercontinental flying by the end of 2015.
AA plans to refurbish only half of its 763 fleet and will retire the remaining half "over time", per http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/media-kit/fleet/fleet-renewal. Has a more specific retirement timeline been announced for the unrefurbished 763s?

It is true that BA will require AA and its other TATL JV partners (IB, AY, US) to have flat-bed seats in all TATL business cabins by 2015. But presumably AA's unrefurbished 763s could remain on their many existing routes to Latin America and the Caribbean well beyond 2015.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
How many times have you done this and for which month?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
AA plans to refurbish only half of its 763 fleet and will retire the remaining half "over time", per http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/media-kit/fleet/fleet-renewal. Has a more specific retirement timeline been announced for the unrefurbished 763s?

It is true that BA will require AA and its other TATL JV partners (IB, AY, US) to have flat-bed seats in all TATL business cabins by 2015. But presumably AA's unrefurbished 763s could remain on their many existing routes to Latin America and the Caribbean well beyond 2015.
True, but I'm not sure of any airline today currently or with plans to switch three hour flights to the Caribbean and Latin America to flat bed equipment. All non-refurb 763s should be gone by 1/2016. The 788s and 789s start being delivered to AA later this year and will be replacing 767s not scheduled for flat beds.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Are you under the impression that AA's life cycles are shorter? Being dead last to the flat bed game suggests otherwise.

As for pricing, that suggests that many people disagree and think that DL offers a quite compelling product.
Are you suggesting that my admittedly anecdotal evidence regarding my experience with Deltas seat and pricing in regards to my specific travel is false?
Old Jul 15, 2014, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
How many times have you done this and for which month?
I flew this particular trip Jul 3-14 of this year to Europe. Not exactly low season.

Never done this particular route before and do not plan to do it again in the future. Flying AMS-LHR-YVR-SEA on three different carriers is not great.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:23 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
I flew this particular trip Jul 3-14 of this year to Europe. Not exactly low season.
Congratulations on your redemption success.

Summer is the low season for business travel, which helps free up some of DL's notoriously .....rdly premium class award inventory.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Congratulations on your redemption success.

Summer is the low season for business travel, which helps free up some of DL's notoriously .....rdly premium class award inventory.
Dude... You asked for anecdotes. Be gracious enough to admit that doing so was a dumb move. I mean, the constant defenses of your original, overly broad claim just seem pathetic.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Deadtail
Are you suggesting that my admittedly anecdotal evidence regarding my experience with Deltas seat and pricing in regards to my specific travel is false?
I'm suggesting that the pricing observations seem to contradict your observations of the product. That and that jumping ship to AA seems an ill-thought strategy unless it is a very temporary switch only so long as they have a shiny new product.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
I'm suggesting that the pricing observations seem to contradict your observations of the product. That and that jumping ship to AA seems an ill-thought strategy unless it is a very temporary switch only so long as they have a shiny new product.
I fly LAX-SYD-LAX one to two times per month on tickets usually purchased 14 days or less in advance leaving Sat and returning on Fri, and pay 13-16K. You won't find a more expensive fare on this route. It's the same to SE Asia and Europe as well but the overall dollars are less.

I'm watching AA to see how they perform as the merger progresses. As they refurbish and deploy new planes on the routes I fly I will make my choice on value per dollars. I say this as a huge Delta fan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.