Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The grass is not greener: Experiences of a DM at United

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Agree with everything you said, except I always thought the clubs in IAH were OK. Have not been in awhile because I traded in PM on DL and CO for DM on DL and kettle on UA....so no access any more. I only fly UA to CRP and MAF a couple times a year since DL does not fly to them.

Commuter terminal in IAH (B?) reminds me of third world.

Look on the bright side, you could be hub captive to US/AA....!
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
I've booked at least 100 award flights in International F this year and always been able to get the flight I want on the day I want with very little hassle.
So you have redeemed something like 6 million miles this year. And you have made similar claims in the past. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but at some point, well, it strains credibility.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
How many times have your United seatmates announced "I’m sorry to disturb you ceamus1, but I’m about to piss my pants”?

Mike Rowe weblog entry - June 24, 2014
lol...great writeup. Reminds me of going to dinner at Whistler in a group of 10 people and a girl seated in the middle of the big round table got 6 people to get up when she desperately had to pee.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:18 am

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Sometimes being based at a hub airport for one airline opens up opportunities in terms of lower airfares and special sales by other airlines — if you are willing to take connecting flights instead of direct or non-stop flights.
The OP made reference to UA awards not having any better availability than they do at DL... that statement is hard to defend. DL's "saver" award availability is horrible. On UA.com I have little trouble finding availability I need... The connection might not be ideal, or the departure time might not be perfect, but I can get where I need to go when I need to go.

Last edited by bajrbajr; Jul 11, 2014 at 10:27 am
Old Jul 11, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Every one has a different story. My experience with DL has not been any better than UA. Award redemption and the choice of awards makes a big difference and in that aspect UA is far ahead. Upgrades are few in DL and UA. Yes agreed DL flights are on time, but UA has now padded the timings so most of the flights are reasonably on time.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
I've booked at least 100 award flights in International F this year
I'm sorry but surely this must be a typo?
Old Jul 11, 2014, 12:27 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Originally Posted by timmy83
I will second this. United is aggressively bad. Southwest is pushing its way down to a similar level of distaste for customer service. (The new) American is extra forgettable.
I disagree with the AA part, during the polar vortex, took them 6 hours but I got a flight 4 days out (I asked for this) and a bump to MCE. Not bad for the operationals night mare.

However, I still like DL's service and planes better.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: Delta PM Hilton Diamond Bonvoy Ti/LTP Hertz PC
Nice post, OP. I made the move in the opposite order from a SFO based 1K just to DL PM. I had been a hub captive in SF, but when I moved to the LA area and found myself traveling quite a bit to Atlanta and SLC I was happy to switch to DL. I had status-matched them several years previously, so I had to claw my way to PM the normal way late last year. But I agree with a lot of what you said.
- The DL front line service is simply friendlier and more cheerful. Honestly, I can't say I was poorly treated as a polite 1K with low expectations, but I just enjoy speaking with DL employees more
- DL PM line fixes things for me about as quickly and competently as the UA 1K line did. I'm sure DMs do even better

The major reasons I was happy to switch:
- UA's poor operational performance. Things go wrong during travel and I always take it in stride, but after 3 straight weeks last year of not getting me home at all on a Thursday night, I decided I'd take a break from UA and make the move to DL. This wasn't just weather, but the all too common crew scheduling issues
- Lack of WiFi was a killer
- 1,000 to 1,400 mile flights on CR7s? With no front lav, wifi, IFE, or food? Gimme a break

For what it's worth I get about 85% upgrades on eligible flights as a PM out of LAX now, which is comparable to what I got at UA out of SFO. However, I WFBF on longer flights or difficult upgrade times on both airlines
Old Jul 11, 2014, 2:56 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Contrary Perspective Here

Main point as yet unmentioned; SDC/SDS on UA remains light years ahead of DL, and the mobile app checks this for you seamlessly. Upgrades from a standby on UA? No issue. IME, DL will absolutely refuse to upgrade a standby and instead place travelling employees in those seats first, before they clear a paying standby customer onto the flight. 24 hours ahead of flight departure time on UA, a SDC window opens, not to check and be told no, but a window that permits taking an earlier flight on the previous day at no add'l charge. This window remains effective for 24 hours after original flight time, into the day after the original day.
Friendlier service on DL? Sometimes true. Last DL flight, though, I presented a HOOU coupon and was asked if I had xerox'd it? And I really adored the DL GA when I tried to change routing because my original flight had just departed, who said she could, but my ticket had been re-issued, so she wouldn't. (The ticket had been re-issued by DL due to DL's schedule change on my original itinerary.) Fortunately, for me, when DL GA's and TA's get off the rails, competent supervision is usually close by and helpful.
Award booking? on UA; my desires are always available at low rates, one way bookings are available, and I can hold and canx without penalty. Not my DL experience.

UA flying this year? ~ 10:1 over DL vice the ~ 3:2 from the past few years. (Upcoming, I'll be forcing myself to book DL to maintain reluctant DL Gold for next year.)
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by lamont2718
No.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by pbarnette
So you have redeemed something like 6 million miles this year. And you have made similar claims in the past. I'm not saying that I don't believe you, but at some point, well, it strains credibility.
Somewhere between 4 and 5 I think, but keep in mind that some bookings involve multiple international segments and you also have to add in changes and cancellations.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Somewhere between 4 and 5 I think, but keep in mind that some bookings involve multiple international segments and you also have to add in changes and cancellations.
Again, not saying I doubt you, but repeated claims of redeeming 4-5 million miles in a year strain credibility.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Now it makes sense. If we count segments and changes/cancellations, I might also have booked a hundred award flights this year. The last time I called to make a change, the DM agent even started muttering and being snide because she couldn't understand the ticket pricing anymore given how many times the routing had been changed.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 7:14 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Could not agree more with the OP's excellent post. I'm based in YYZ, so used to give all my business to Air Canada and by extension, United, without a second thought. No more. Wound up on a Delta flight a couple of years ago and haven't looked back.

Award availability with Skymiles doesn't seem to be any better than what I found for AC/UA - at least for the destinations that interest me. But I do appreciate the fairly regular upgrades, consistently clean aircraft, excellent on-time performance and consistently friendly and helpful agents and flight attendants I've come to enjoy with Delta. And the cookies. I have to admit, I've grown addicted to them.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
I've booked at least 100 award flights in International F this year and always been able to get the flight I want on the day I want with very little hassle. (Note - Not the case if you are booking summer/holiday travel 2 to 6 weeks out).
Originally Posted by lamont2718
No.
Are you travelling the majority of the year? BTW, if you are your my hero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.