New F in 752 vs old F in 752!

Old Jul 6, 14, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
New F in 752 vs old F in 752!

I did a MR yesterday, as I found a pretty good deal in F (fare classes A,A,G,G), on the MCO-ATL-PHL-ATL-MCO route, with same day turn-around.

The flight on the first leg, MCO-ATL, was on a reconfigured 752 with new F! Surprisingly, I found the new F to be significantly narrower than the old F! My last leg was on an 'old' 752, with the old F seats, and I found them to be more spacious (seat-width).

Has anyone noticed this, or am I the only one? Or am I missing something here?

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Jul 6, 14 at 12:05 pm Reason: Fare classes included!
Old Jul 6, 14, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
What do you mean by "new F"? In the last few years, the only changes made in F on 757-200s have been the PMNW 75As. They went from BusinessElite style cradle seats to the same F seats as the 75Ns (but at 40" pitch). Other than that, there are 3 former 75Es that have received flat-beds...but I doubt that is what you got on MCO-ATL.

The FC cabin on the 757-300s are currently going through reconfiguration, if that is what you are referring to.

But 757-200s have really not been reconfigured at all lately, though this fall/winter will begin a major reconfiguration project for that fleet.
Old Jul 6, 14, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I guess to use the word 'reconfiguration' was a poor choice. I was referring to the new FC (not BE/or any lie flats) WITH the new IFE installed on some 752's. The seat width was significantly less (narrower) compared to the old FC.

By old FC, I mean this:

photo1 by AvidFlyer1990, on Flickr

The newer ones are the ones with the IFE:

FFBC5ACF-875E-4F46-914E-A6ED320CC87E by AvidFlyer1990, on Flickr
Old Jul 6, 14, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Your picture up top, the "old FC" looks to be a 757. This config

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-200-75u.html

Your picture below, the "new FC" is 100% the new 757-300 configuration. A 75Y. I have flown this plane a couple times. I didn't necessarily notice the seats to be any narrower, and according to delta.com they are the same seat width.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...7-300-75y.html

Seat width is measured between the armrests. So even if it is the same width between the armrests, if the armrests themselves are narrower, your shoulder will be closer to the person next to you's shoulder. So it is narrower, even if the stated seat width measurement is the same. It is possible that is what is going on here. Though like I said, I didn't notice anything different. And it would seem weird to buy a seat that is narrower than what it is replacing for no apparent reason.

But it is the game Boeing plays with the 10-abreast 777. The seat width is stated at 17.2" on a 10-abreast 777. This is the same seat width as a 737, 757, 747, etc. But they take 0.5" out of every armrest to get a 17.2" measurement between armrests. So they say the width is the same as a 747, yet your shoulders are significantly closer to the person next to you as compared to the 747, 757, 737, etc.
Old Jul 6, 14, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Every1 Get A Life View Post

Seat width is measured between the armrests. So even if it is the same width between the armrests, if the armrests themselves are narrower, your shoulder will be closer to the person next to you's shoulder. So it is narrower, even if the stated seat width measurement is the same. It is possible that is what is going on here. Though like I said, I didn't notice anything different. And it would seem weird to buy a seat that is narrower than what it is replacing for no apparent reason.

But it is the game Boeing plays with the 10-abreast 777. The seat width is stated at 17.2" on a 10-abreast 777. This is the same seat width as a 737, 757, 747, etc. But they take 0.5" out of every armrest to get a 17.2" measurement between armrests. So they say the width is the same as a 747, yet your shoulders are significantly closer to the person next to you as compared to the 747, 757, 737, etc.
Oh...got it! Yeah, true, the dimensions do seem to be the same. However, the newer FC on the 753 (75y) seemed to be narrower, maybe, because of the armrests being thinner/narrower. Thanks for making it clear, Every1 Get A Life.

Search this Thread