Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Jr on ticket but no junior on passport for international?

Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.

So,
I have a crazy situation. I have been on delta's award redemption chart for months trying to find the perfect flight to Rome. A couple of nights ago the perfect trip popped up like magic. Business class tickets from the states to Rome with lie flat overnight for 95K. It also had amazing short layovers. A dream ticket. So I booked it even though my parter was not here. His has a Jr on is last name and so I added it to the booking. When he got home he checked his passport.. No Jr.

I called delta and they said I had the last reward tickets. In order to change the name I would need to change the tickets and they could not guarantee the award tickets at 95,000 if I changed the tickets.

(Flight includes Alitalia).

I called Alitalia and they can't change them. Only delta.

So what do I do? Risk it or is it not the big of a deal?

He doesn't have Jr on his driver license either.

Lose the upgrade or risk it?

PM
Troy
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:56 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
It won't be an issue, these little types of things, Jr, III, etc, are pretty common errors. First, Middle, Last, DOB are the same? No issue.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
This sounds really familiar. I had a similar problem when booking an award to Rome last year. My middle name got merged with my first name, so it didn't match either my passport or drivers license. I decided to chance it and got through just fine. As always YMMV.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. And don't check YMMV on urban dictionary. I had to look it up. Disturbing.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 5:26 pm

Programs: Skymiles, LifeMiles, AA Advantage
It shouldn't be an issue..My brother has a JR on his name, however we flew last week FLL-MSP-LAX with no JR anywhere on the booking or in the BP and was no issue at all.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

Should be fine. Don't even mention in.

95k miles from USA to fco... In business?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Business on the way there. Coach on the way back.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM

That makes sense. Hopefully more low inventory in business will open up for you!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
That makes sense. Hopefully more low inventory in business will open up for you!
From your lips to delta.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 2:38 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
This sounds really familiar. I had a similar problem when booking an award to Rome last year. My middle name got merged with my first name, so it didn't match either my passport or drivers license. I decided to chance it and got through just fine. As always YMMV.
I had an award ticket on Virgin Atlantic, where their computer system merged my first and middle names. I did not have a problem.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 8:32 am

Most airline reservation systems don't leave a line between given names... so a passenger will show DOE/JOHNANDREW. Absolutely normal, not worth a phone call, and never heard of anyone having a problem at the airport in such a situation.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Accor Live Limitless Diamond
My experience as a "Jr."

I've been through this lots of times, as I'm a "Jr." and also often use a middle initial. My passport has my full middle name, and air reservations will sometimes show the "Jr." and sometimes not. They sometimes put the "Jr." in a different field from the last name, and sometimes add it as 2 letters at the end of my last name, such as "SMITHJR".

I've never had a problem checking in or clearing security for an international flight, and I fly international a lot. Here are the minor glitches your partner will run into, just so you know what to expect and not to worry:

Most airlines have you check in at a kiosk, where you swipe the passport. The passport swipe will fail 100% of the time, and it will just say to check in with an agent. The computer gets wigged out by the suffix issue, but an agent always checks me in just fine, once the agent realizes it's just a suffix issue or middle-initial issue. This has been fine checking in not only in the US, but also in Italy, France, UK, Netherlands, India, Vietnam and Cambodia. So basically not a problem anywhere.

Therefore, don't waste your time trying to reissue the ticket. That's totally unnecessary.

The only problem I've run into is with TSA PreCheck. When I was in the PreCheck program by invitation, that program is based on your name and frequent flyer credentials. An EXACT name match is therefore necessary. After spending countless hours on the phone with airlines trying to massage my name to match the TSA records (Delta has been particularly patient and cooperative about this, time after time), I finally threw up my hands and got Global Entry. Now that I've got a Known Traveler Number, the name match is no longer necessary. Problem solved. If PreCheck is important to your partner and he's had these issues, he should consider Global Entry.

If you or he have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I got a rock..

That was not the case for me returning from Rome at the ATL customs. I was a newly minted Global Entry member (with my card, even) and I got a receipt with a black 'X' through it! ...which meant that I had to go see an agent, who told me that the reject was caused by my suffix ' Jr' being listed differently on my DL record from how it was recorded by Global Entry...

Originally Posted by msntriathlete
I've been through this lots of times, as I'm a "Jr." and also often use a middle initial. My passport has my full middle name, and air reservations will sometimes show the "Jr." and sometimes not. They sometimes put the "Jr." in a different field from the last name, and sometimes add it as 2 letters at the end of my last name, such as "SMITHJR".

I've never had a problem checking in or clearing security for an international flight, and I fly international a lot. Here are the minor glitches your partner will run into, just so you know what to expect and not to worry:

Most airlines have you check in at a kiosk, where you swipe the passport. The passport swipe will fail 100% of the time, and it will just say to check in with an agent. The computer gets wigged out by the suffix issue, but an agent always checks me in just fine, once the agent realizes it's just a suffix issue or middle-initial issue. This has been fine checking in not only in the US, but also in Italy, France, UK, Netherlands, India, Vietnam and Cambodia. So basically not a problem anywhere.

Therefore, don't waste your time trying to reissue the ticket. That's totally unnecessary.

The only problem I've run into is with TSA PreCheck. When I was in the PreCheck program by invitation, that program is based on your name and frequent flyer credentials. An EXACT name match is therefore necessary. After spending countless hours on the phone with airlines trying to massage my name to match the TSA records (Delta has been particularly patient and cooperative about this, time after time), I finally threw up my hands and got Global Entry. Now that I've got a Known Traveler Number, the name match is no longer necessary. Problem solved. If PreCheck is important to your partner and he's had these issues, he should consider Global Entry.

If you or he have any more questions, feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
That was not the case for me returning from Rome at the ATL customs. I was a newly minted Global Entry member (with my card, even) and I got a receipt with a black 'X' through it! ...which meant that I had to go see an agent, who told me that the reject was caused by my suffix ' Jr' being listed differently on my DL record from how it was recorded by Global Entry...
Actually, your situation proves you can still fly with issues like this.

You were still able to fly, so NO PROBLEM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.