Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
Baggage question

How many free checked bags can we bring? The Delta baggage charts make it nebulous to my specific situation. Going from Orlando to Minneapolis - round trip

I am a Gold Medallion who bought nine tix (I am one of the nine) with my Delta Amex Platinum card. All 9 of us are on the same PNR.

According to the baggage chart, I get 2 free 70-lb bags. Since I used the Delta Amex card, the other 8 folks in my PNR get 1 free bag. So based on this, I get 2 bags and my friends get 1 each for a total of 10 free bags.

The confusion is that the chart says I get 2 bags for GM, BUT there is an asterisk which states:

"*Note: Silver Medallions who also hold a SkyMiles American Express Reserve, Platinum, or Gold Credit Card will be able to receive a second bag free (up to two free bags at 70 pounds or 32 kg each) for themselves and up to eight (8) others traveling in the eligible member's reservation."

So that would mean that all 9 folks get 2 bags each for a total of 18 free bags if you were a Silver Medallion who used the credit card. My question is that there is NO asterisk for Gold Medallion folks. Is it implied (at least in my mind) that GMs get the same asterisk as the Silver Medallions do? But it does not specifically say so, thus my confusion and reason to post this. Surely this extends to GMs, PMs, and Titaniums.

Do I get 18 free bags as I see it?

A second question: There is no way to get myself placed on the upgrade list without removing myself from the PNR which would thus make me lose the free baggage benefit, right? I have to choose between free bags for all or sitting up front, right? No way to do both?

Thanks guys in advance for your help!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
In my experience:
1. As a GM with a Delta AMEX CC you will get 2 check in bags free
2. All others on your PNR will get 1 check in bag free, since they are on your PNR, since you hold a Delta AMEX CC.
3. If any of the other passengers on your PNR are also Silver Medallion or higher, then that passenger will be eligible to receive an additional check in bag free of charge.
So .... the total bags your party of 9 can check in for free will be 2+8 atleast and maybe more if any other passenger holds Silver medallion status or higher.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/SkyClub
Thanks dd1612.

I guess interpret the asterisk to be talking about the MAIN PNR purchaser. You are interpreting to mean if any OTHER folks in the PNR happen to hold medallion status and/or CC.

That is my confusion - not sure who is correct...
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Here is the Medallion benefits page on delta.com:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-benefits.html

If you look at footnote 4 you will see that the waived baggage fee benefit applies to up to 8 people on the medallion member's reservation. So your companions will each get two free checked bags, as do you.

Whether you really want to travel with 18 checked bags is another question altogether!

Last edited by CarmenOM; Jul 2, 2014 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Here's my experience with this rule. Everyone in your reservation is entitled to 2 free 70lb bags, so 18 total bags. This was extremely helpful when I moved cross country and had my family in my PNR, I checked 10 bags each weighing 50+ lbs. Unfortunately, not every agent will be so nice, and have tried to convince me the other pax only get 1 bag or that the other pax bags can only be 50lbs. Stand up for your medallion benefits if you need the extra baggage!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
It has nothing to do with the CC actually. See here: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html

GMs traveling domestically get 2 free bags for themselves and everyone else on the PNR.

The thing about the FO benefit is, they used to get two free bags but they dropped it down to one bag. However, when they did so they decided that for those who were FO and also had the CC they could combine the benefits and get back up to the two bags (which they used to get).

The "affects everyone in the PNR" is true for all levels/status/etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.