Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfFrom35K
Known at this time:
- Complimentary Upgrades on premium transcon flights, namelyJFK-SFO/LAX, are no longer an available benefit for any level Medallion Elite
- Regional and/or Global Upgrade Certificates as well as Miles may be used for upgrades on premium transcon flights
- Seattle-JFK is no longer a premium transcon flight
Print Wikipost

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
There were 2 seats remaining and the 2 on the upgrade list also showed on the cleared list with seats as 'UP' which was odd.

In retrospect one of the upgrades was across the aisle and definitely not an NRSA.

Just surprised the remaining plats / diamonds didn't show up on the list as it's hard to believe there were only 2 on the flight.
I think there are going to be many here who are going to find that are not as valuable to DL as they think they are and are going to disappointed when there names do NOT show up on the upgrade list. As the DL spokesman said they are going to be looking at the upgrades on a "case by cased basis". If you get selected, you are going to show up on the upgrade list. As I read it, if you are not selected in advance you will be flying in the back.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:27 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
As the DL spokesman said they are going to be looking at the upgrades on a "case by cased basis".
And if so, I wonder if it would be by fare basis within your Medallion level, like it is now, or kind of pick and choose, either by CSV / HVC standing, or maybe skip over DMs on low level fare classes down to PMs on higher ones. We'll probably never know!
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
They probably haven't conjured up the lingo yet, to make it sound like an enhancement vs a mistake.

Also, it may have been done for a trial period for IT purposes, etc, and more recently official.
they've admitted mistakes before. It starts off sounding something like this: "We hear you", or, "we listened to what you had to say and we are making changes".....
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, WR Gold
There were 2 seats remaining and the 2 on the upgrade list also showed on the cleared list with seats as 'UP' which was odd.

In retrospect one of the upgrades was across the aisle and definitely not an NRSA.

Just surprised the remaining plats / diamonds didn't show up on the list as it's hard to believe there were only 2 on the flight.
Just flew SFO->JFK, and the Delta iPhone app showed the upgrade list 6 hours before departure. There were about 9 or 10 on the list, but only 2 seats available. So, Delta is definitely showing the full list, at least on the app.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
Originally Posted by benski
Just flew SFO->JFK, and the Delta iPhone app showed the upgrade list 6 hours before departure. There were about 9 or 10 on the list, but only 2 seats available. So, Delta is definitely showing the full list, at least on the app.
Were you on the list?
Old Jun 28, 2014, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
I think there are going to be many here who are going to find that are not as valuable to DL as they think they are and are going to disappointed when there names do NOT show up on the upgrade list. As the DL spokesman said they are going to be looking at the upgrades on a "case by cased basis". If you get selected, you are going to show up on the upgrade list. As I read it, if you are not selected in advance you will be flying in the back.
I asked the 'informed' agent about that. Are they using some HVC definition or strictly elite status?

He said it is strictly elite status - if you are Platinum or Diamond and on any paid fare you will be put on the list, just as before, and it would order priority as before.

He noted the only 'change' from the original upgrade scheme was you can't upgrade a companion anymore, and was explicit that no Silvers or Golds would make it on the list.

I got a similar line from a couple of phone agents. Others were parroting the 'case by case' with no detail. Who knows what the actual practice is - time will tell over the coming weeks - but I've now had a few Delta employees say the Plat / Diamond any fare thing.

Regardless of the policy I would not have cleared had I not used an SWU in advance.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jun 28, 2014 at 12:49 pm
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
I asked the 'informed' agent about that. Are they using some HVC definition or strictly elite status?

He said it is strictly elite status - if you are Platinum or Diamond and on any paid fare you will be put on the list, just as before, and it would order priority as before.

He noted the only 'change' from the original upgrade scheme was you can't upgrade a companion anymore, and was explicit that no Silvers or Golds would make it on the list.

I got a similar line from a couple of phone agents. Others were parroting the 'case by case' with no detail. Who knows what the actual practice is - time will tell over the coming weeks - but I've now had a few Delta employees say the Plat / Diamond any fare thing.

Regardless of the policy I would not have cleared had I not used an SWU in advance.
Thanks for the update. Let's see if the agent really knows the policy.

If this is the case, those flying on cheapo fares are not likely to clear anyway without a GUC on peak flights as those are going out full or close to it.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
This really isn't complicated...

DL Plat/Diam - require to transcon. Boards a flight with 3 empty seats in front of the plane and the back of the plane is full. He sits in Economy Comfort and gets a free drink and box sandwich. He arrives cranky because of the barking dog, crying kid and Internet service sucked most of the journey.

His colleague flies JetBlue Mint and gets lie flat seats, free wifi and wonderful meal options. And paid less than DL member and arrives earlier vs. Delta colleague.

Competition forces adjustments not loyal status members threatening to leave.
If his colleague flew Mint then why didn't he fly paid Delta business? Most companies have class of service rules based on flight time and not price. So JetBlue offering cheap J class Mint fares only helps people that own their own businesses or are traveling on their own dime (and what ever small group of companies go by price). I really think DL should just copy UA and make transcons upgradable with a cert. This way pax can decide how badly they want the upgrade. Also I think you should earn more certs the more MQDs you spend.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
If his colleague flew Mint then why didn't he fly paid Delta business? Most companies have class of service rules based on flight time and not price. So JetBlue offering cheap J class Mint fares only helps people that own their own businesses or are traveling on their own dime (and what ever small group of companies go by price). I really think DL should just copy UA and make transcons upgradable with a cert. This way pax can decide how badly they want the upgrade. Also I think you should earn more certs the more MQDs you spend.
A lot of companies have policies on price as well. Depends on what the client will pay. If Delta is quite a bit more for J than Jet Blue mint and they want to fly up front, my clients would probably want us on Jet Blue mint or flying coach on Delta. A lot of my clients will pay a little more for business class, but not the $2K delta wants on some routes.

I agree you should earn more certs if you fly a lot more miles over the diamond 125K. When my wife flies with me or an associate with no status, they would love to see Delta duplicate American's policy where a top tier can upgrade a companion and be on the top of the upgrade list
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))

And I think that policy is more than fair seeing the upgrades they made to First Class and EC on that route.

I know a lot of people complain there is not much difference between GM and PM, this policy also gives a great distinction between the two levels for PM's who fly this route a lot
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, WR Gold
Originally Posted by lax555
Were you on the list?
#5 on the list, but only two seats open. I didn't have to do anything special to get on the list. No luck this time, but I've gotten one upgrade since the unofficial policy change.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:58 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
The website hasn't been updated yet:

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-upgrades.html

I guess that's no surprise, especially if they're still working out the bugs. I guess we can keep checking online.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem with a three hour SDC policy is that one must be ready to leave for the airport almost instantly. Having 24 hours enables one to plan ahead.
Most of my SDCs are done when I'm already at the airport, and just trying to get on the next earlier flight.

This post probably belongs in the SDC/SDS thread, but I don't see why DL can't have coach SDCs restricted to fare class 24 hrs out, but then open to any available Y seat at 3 hrs out.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I indeed posted about this last week. I edited my post to "disregard" because there was no official proof I could offer. Delta didn't delete the post. I first edited the post and I'm assuming the Mods deleted the post thereafter because there was no substance.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Hertz Gold Plus 5-Star
Upcoming flight this week from LAX to JFK on a 767-300 and a return flight on a 757-200. Ended up on a K and forked over the 12,500 for an UG on the return, but I'm interested to see how it's handled on the outbound. So far only 3 of the 28 BizElite seats are booked, but there are also over 50 available seats in Economy, so there might not be any pressure for the gate agent to make room in EC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.