Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfFrom35K
Known at this time:
- Complimentary Upgrades on premium transcon flights, namelyJFK-SFO/LAX, are no longer an available benefit for any level Medallion Elite
- Regional and/or Global Upgrade Certificates as well as Miles may be used for upgrades on premium transcon flights
- Seattle-JFK is no longer a premium transcon flight
Print Wikipost

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Management repeatedly demonstrates that they do not have a grasp on the law of unintended consequences.
Classic Delta. Take away something, give some (or just a little) of it back.

David
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:51 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
The official policy is that Diamond and Platinum Medallions traveling on a paid ticket (no award ticket) without a companion should be eligible for an upgrade and be added to the Airport Standby List.

This means that Gold and Silver Medallions, companions, Crossover Rewards, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Alaska MVP, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles tickets will NOT be eligible for upgrades on these routes.

You can view my full blog post with the details here
Delta Brings Back Transcontinental Upgrades for Platinum and Diamond Medallions
Old Jun 24, 2014, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This reminds me a bit of the PMNW phantom upgrades TATL and TPAC.
This is what it sounds like at first.

For those who didn't fly NW, the 'phantom' upgrade program basically upgraded the top 4 or 5 people on the flight by elite status and fare.

So even if there were 10 seats open in Business and 10 top-tier elites, only 4 or 5 would get upgraded.

But spoke with an agent who pulled up the policy...

And any Diamond or Platinum will be added to the airport upgrade list at 6 hours prior to departure. Then they will clear it at the gate per the usual priority. If a seat is open you'll get it.

Not sure why the 6 hour rule. Maybe they're going to keep offering seats in O class for advance mile / SWU upgrades and that helps protect the integrity of that.
Old Jun 24, 2014, 9:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It's via a new UPG code called UP2X for transcon UPGs
Old Jun 24, 2014, 11:47 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Hope this sticks until next March (when I'm flying LAX-JFK then JFK-FCO-BUD on AZ)
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This reminds me a bit of the PMNW phantom upgrades TATL and TPAC.
Except phantom UG's were much more of a gift to PMNW PE's, this is more like a backup from DL from making a boneheaded policy change.

When this becomes official policy again I'll start flying the tcons...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 1:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by mnredfox
When this becomes official policy again I'll start flying the tcons...
Gotta wait for impact from REV Mgt. and to see if MINT prices go up before anything more than PR statements from the mothership.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I really don't see many people saying "instead of $500 I'll spend $2000" for a 5 hour flight. I've sprung for discounted J TATL and TPAC but we're talking much longer flights where you can actually get some sleep after the meal.
I've been K+(old)SWU upgrading flights since the old new policy, since I'm willing to pay a bit more over coach (but not $2k) to sit up front. With this new new policy, I might still try to confirm in advance (K+miles?) if they keep advanced inventory open, especially on the westbound flights and when I'm traveling with someone.

Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
There was a thread that was posted and deleted, but I think it was more deleted from Delta who wanted to cover it up and keep this a secret.
Why would they want to keep this secret? You can't incentivize behavior if people don't know what the benefits are. This change would probably encourage me to make PM (or even DM again) and to fly DL (especially eastbound when alone) instead of B6.

A policy of 75k/125k upgrades sure sounds like an attempt to match AA (100k) on these routes.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
I've been K+(old)SWU upgrading flights since the old new policy, since I'm willing to pay a bit more over coach (but not $2k) to sit up front. With this new new policy, I might still try to confirm in advance (K+miles?) if they keep advanced inventory open, especially on the westbound flights and when I'm traveling with someone.

Why would they want to keep this secret? You can't incentivize behavior if people don't know what the benefits are. This change would probably encourage me to make PM (or even DM again) and to fly DL (especially eastbound when alone) instead of B6.

A policy of 75k/125k upgrades sure sounds like an attempt to match AA (100k) on these routes.
Agreed.

Two thoughts:

1. Delta really can't expect this to be a "secret"..perhaps not advertised, but not a secret because they are upgrading their PM/DMS and those customers will clearly report this new development to others on the Internet, word of mouth, etc

2. How can Delta delete someone else's thread on FT??
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
....2. How can Delta delete someone else's thread on FT??
I am baffled by it. Seems to me that DL is able to impose a news blackout on FT or other media. The question is why? Why does DL wants to make it a secret?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TerryK
I am baffled by it. Seems to me that DL is able to impose a news blackout on FT or other media. The question is why? Why does DL wants to make it a secret?
Its not a secret at all considering its on FT right now among other blogs on the Internet. I hope they really didn't think that all the PM/DM getting upgraded wouldn't tell anyone!
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It's via a new UPG code called UP2X for transcon UPGs
Is that confirmed from someone or asking an agent what the code is on the airport list?
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:34 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I am a little nervous about what his means for future. Changes to the. Upgrade policy for golds and silvers.
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
If these BE cabins are going out near empty on a regular basis (is that truly the case?) then perhaps B6 Mint was the straw that broke the camel's back...
Old Jun 25, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Plat 100, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, UA Silver, AA Gold
Now, the question is if a PM/DM will be upgraded while SDCing onto one of these transcons.

I'll be flying LAX-BOS next week on a non-stop redeye. If the upgrade code works for SDC/SDS, I could jump on a LAX-JFK-BOS flight and get home seven hours in advance.

So, if someone's gets the upgrade while flying standby, please post your success here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.