Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta waffling on transcon upgrade policy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 27, 2014, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mfFrom35K
Known at this time:
- Complimentary Upgrades on premium transcon flights, namelyJFK-SFO/LAX, are no longer an available benefit for any level Medallion Elite
- Regional and/or Global Upgrade Certificates as well as Miles may be used for upgrades on premium transcon flights
- Seattle-JFK is no longer a premium transcon flight
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
On another note, I wonder if this race to the top for transcon service will all end up being a mistake. If the cabins are as full of free upgrades and non-revs as it seems, perhaps they would have been better off just leaving it as domestic first service, perhaps with upgraded meals.

I'm not saying that I want that, but I'm just wondering if the massive investment from all the carriers on this route will actually pay off? I also wonder how much of the paid BE tickets are sold to pax who are connecting to TPAC or TATL flights?
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
On another note, I wonder if this race to the top for transcon service will all end up being a mistake. If the cabins are as full of free upgrades and non-revs as it seems, perhaps they would have been better off just leaving it as domestic first service, perhaps with upgraded meals.

I'm not saying that I want that, but I'm just wondering if the massive investment from all the carriers on this route will actually pay off? I also wonder how much of the paid BE tickets are sold to pax who are connecting to TPAC or TATL flights?
I fly to the west coast a few times a year from TLV - sometimes in paid J - paid for by clients. Until they implemented this flatbed transcon, my preference was to fly through Europe on BA but with this improvement, I'm more likely to go through JFK on DL in the future, so personally I think it's worth it.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Phil2016
DM on a H fare traveling tomorrow, ROC-DTW-LAX. No chance of clearing DTW-LAX. JFK-LAX is J9/Y9 and has 13 of 26 J seats open (per seat map, I know not a definitive view of availability, but gives some indication). Agent on medallion line said only some flights will allow upgrades based on operational needs and that decision is made at the gate (seems to contradict what's been reported here). I'm still willing to take the chance (got a bulkhead aisle in EC).

I'm inclined to call back and get another perspective. Should I check-in first? Wait closer to the 12-hour mark?
I just went to check-in and was offered an upgrade on JFK-LAX for $549. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel

I only have about 6-7 TCON flights this year, but I do wonder if they have done little bit of cost cutting: 2 of my Chiarello meals were bad to ho-hum (normally they are excellent) and they now only serve cheap Cava pre-departure instead of the full bar, plus the cheap packet of nuts instead of a proper ramekin made me wonder what was going on. I had expected them to improve things after taking away the upgrades to make the service more 'exclusive'.

With the partial retreat from the no-upgrade policy, I do expect a matching retreat in service/amenities.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I just called the Diamond line, and after a ten minute hold the agent told me she could find nothing about this change and that upgrades are not available on these routes. hmmm mmmm.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I am flying today on an award ticket. Tweeted delta assist and their response was:

Thank you for your patience. Platinum's may receive upgrades on this route during slower periods, however, with this being a holiday... 1/2...weekend unfortunately it is not available. Sorry to disappoint. *RB 2/2

Called the platinum line and they put me on hold, reported back that they couldn't find anything on this change in policy

There are 3 people on the UG list for 6 seats per the app
Old Jul 6, 2014, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe it was mentioned upthread that Diamonds and Plats on award tickets would not be eligible for upgrades. You would need to be on a revenue ticket.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM

I'm wondering if the best thing to do is call the PM or DM line and just confidently request to be put on the UG list...
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
A few more data points:

Called PM line again. The agent had heard of the policy but wasn't sure of the details. She checked with her supervisor and confirmed that I should be on the list, but am not showing up in the app because I am on an award ticket. (Didn't have much confidence in that)

Sky priority check in says u are randomly selected and there is no clear rhyme or reason.

Gate agent says no upgrades that are not confirmed 3 days in advance and says that the 3 people on the list are using instruments.

Skyclub says the computer randomly picks based on how busy the flight is.

I am in EC and the sky boarding lane was packed. 3 people did clear the list and I didn't see what happened to the 3 empty seats
Old Jul 6, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by lax555
A few more data points:

Called PM line again. The agent had heard of the policy but wasn't sure of the details. She checked with her supervisor and confirmed that I should be on the list, but am not showing up in the app because I am on an award ticket. (Didn't have much confidence in that)

Sky priority check in says u are randomly selected and there is no clear rhyme or reason.

Gate agent says no upgrades that are not confirmed 3 days in advance and says that the 3 people on the list are using instruments.

Skyclub says the computer randomly picks based on how busy the flight is.

I am in EC and the sky boarding lane was packed. 3 people did clear the list and I didn't see what happened to the 3 empty seats
Ah- good old Delta consistency. Whatever the policy is, if they don't make it knowable and predictable then people won't come back.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:29 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
<delete>

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 6, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mother-
Ah- good old Delta consistency. Whatever the policy is, if they don't make it knowable and predictable then people won't come back.
The post you quoted:

Originally Posted by lax555
I am flying today on an award ticket.
Post #32:

Originally Posted by The Weekly Flyer
The official policy is that Diamond and Platinum Medallions traveling on a paid ticket (no award ticket) without a companion should be eligible for an upgrade and be added to the Airport Standby List.

This means that Gold and Silver Medallions, companions, Crossover Rewards, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Alaska MVP, Award Tickets and Pay with Miles tickets will NOT be eligible for upgrades on these routes.
True, that none of this is officially "knowable" yet.

Old Jul 6, 2014, 4:38 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Agreed. "We do it randomly" = "op up" = "no incentive to return".

Assuming the policy as originally posted sticks, I wonder if limited OP inventory will still be available in advance, and if mileage upgrades will still clear at the gate.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by davetravels
True, that none of this is officially "knowable" yet.
Dave,
I think you've misread my comment, but to expand on your angle:

He asked 5 different Delta customer facing employees, got 4 different answers, and the two which matched both contradict the policy as you just quoted from TWF.

(We've also had multiple other reports that do not match that supposed policy.)

Originally Posted by bennos
Agreed. "We do it randomly" = "op up" = "no incentive to return".

Assuming the policy as originally posted sticks, I wonder if limited OP inventory will still be available in advance, and if mileage upgrades will still clear at the gate.
I just booked a RT JFK-SEA and was able to find a TCON to throw miles at on the outbound, but not on the return. That seems consistent with the past 2 months so far.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 8:08 pm

Dave,
I think you've misread my comment, but to expand on your angle:

He asked 5 different Delta customer facing employees, got 4 different answers, and the two which matched both contradict the policy as you just quoted from TWF.

(We've also had multiple other reports that do not match that supposed policy.)
Well, I think the problems is, that, <unfotunately>, while it may be available at the moment, it's still not really official, as in having been announced officially, yet, so, until it is, there'll be varying results.

The unfortunate thing, IMO, is that those who don't know to ask, may lose out to someone who should be lower than them in the pecking order. Hopefully it'll all be resolved soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.