Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
As many times as I've flown out of MEX to the USA, I can't ever remember doing anything that resembles exit immigration?
Some smaller Mexico airports do set up a queue for an immigration officer to collect the FMT card upon exit. The ones that come to my mind historically were MID and DGO and I’m pretty sure another here and there. But I’ve never seen it at larger airports whatsoever.
davetravels likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by rizrizriz
Guess I will find out later today. Currently in MEX,
On the departure from MEX to SEA on 6 May, they did ask questions. Had several folks with orange vest on that was walking about the gate area asking folks if they had the sticker on their passport if you didn't already have one, they simply asked some basic questions of weather you had control of your luggage, did any one ask you to carry something. In general nothing really a big deal at all. (IMHO)

BTW, with regard to "upgrades" the 738 that they flew that day from MEX to SEA, there was a total of 6 seats open up front when everyone was done boarding. They brought up one person, leaving the 5 other seats up front empty. I was in 3B and 3A was left empty the entire flight. So I don't know what the process is for upgrades for AM, but find it hard to believe there was not a single person with a Delta SM account that would have been able to upgrade. But then again, don't know what they use and as far as I know AM does not have a public viewing of their upgrade list (like Delta, etc have in their App)
Old May 16, 2018, 10:35 pm

So I have a question about using DL regional upgrades on AM flights, and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience. I have an upcoming LAX-MTY flight, DL flight numbers. Per the DL page, that should be upgradeable using regional upgrades as far as I can tell:

Effective September 28, 2017, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members can use their
Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates for access toAeromexico Clase Premier on any Delta-marketed, Aeromexico-operated1flight.

Regional Upgrade Certificates can be used on Aeromexico flights traveling between the United States and Mexico, or for any Delta-marketed, Aeromexico-operated short-haul2 flight. Upgrade Certificates are eligible for all fare classes, except for Basic Economy (E-class).

Seems to follow the rules. First agent tells me “that is only for complimentary upgrades at the gate, and it’s not available anyway”. HUCA. Second agent says “the upgrades aren’t available, and we can’t waitlist AM upgrades.” Both flights show AM business award availability in “O” on EF, so I’m finding it hard to believe there are no upgrade spaces available.
This seems like a problem that is running into no man’s land, so before I tried the third call, wanted to see if anyone has any experience with such things that might point me in a more successful direction.Thanks for any help!

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; May 16, 2018 at 10:55 pm Reason: Sorry for the formatting, cannot get this post to format right from my iPad!
Old May 17, 2018, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
So I have a question about using DL regional upgrades on AM flights, and wanted to see if anyone has had any experience. I have an upcoming LAX-MTY flight, DL flight numbers. Per the DL page, that should be upgradeable using regional upgrades as far as I can tell:

Effective September 28, 2017, Diamond and Platinum Medallion Members can use their
Global and Regional Upgrade Certificates for access toAeromexico Clase Premier on any Delta-marketed, Aeromexico-operated1flight.

Regional Upgrade Certificates can be used on Aeromexico flights traveling between the United States and Mexico, or for any Delta-marketed, Aeromexico-operated short-haul2 flight. Upgrade Certificates are eligible for all fare classes, except for Basic Economy (E-class).

Seems to follow the rules. First agent tells me “that is only for complimentary upgrades at the gate, and it’s not available anyway”. HUCA. Second agent says “the upgrades aren’t available, and we can’t waitlist AM upgrades.” Both flights show AM business award availability in “O” on EF, so I’m finding it hard to believe there are no upgrade spaces available.
This seems like a problem that is running into no man’s land, so before I tried the third call, wanted to see if anyone has any experience with such things that might point me in a more successful direction.Thanks for any help!

Most likely these are so new that agents don't know what inventory to look for. O is needed, but an agent may be looking for OY, or RY which will never show up on the AM number.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most likely these are so new that agents don't know what inventory to look for. O is needed, but an agent may be looking for OY, or RY which will never show up on the AM number.
Call back and ask for a Supervisor if necessary and point out O is available
Old May 17, 2018, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Call back and ask for a Supervisor if necessary and point out O is available
Thanks for the advice. Third time was a charm. Went through the same initial roadblocks, but had a great agent who volunteered to have someone else look at it. Came back, thanked me for my persistence, said “we all learned something here”. Reissued the ticket as an AM ticket and put it into O class. A bit odd that the upgrade terms “require a DL marketed, AM operated” flight, but the only way to apply it is to make it an “AM marketed, AM operated flight”, but it’s all good. Thanks again!

ETA: Boy do I wish this route (LAX-MTY) would revert back to a DL flight. While I appreciate the ability to do this upgrade, life was a lot easier when it was a DL flight.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; May 17, 2018 at 8:54 am
Old May 19, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I just booked MEX-LAS-LAX in W class. AM ticketed, AM operated for MEX-LAS. Any recent experience about upgrading to Premier? Just wanted to make sure everyone was still waiting until the airport to be added to the upgrade list? That was my experience a few months ago.

Here's what the Delta site says by the way. Interesting about AM Plus since I think most of us are getting upgraded easily (this one I booked already AM Plus so I can't test it out)
(3) Complimentary Upgrades on Aeromexico-operated flights will clear at the departure gate. Medallion Members are eligible for upgrades to Clase Premier on all intra-Mexico Aeromexico flights, as well as Aeromexico flights between Mexico and the U.S., Central America, Caribbean, Colombia and Ecuador. Medallion Members are not eligible for upgrades to Aeromexico Plus. Travel companions are not eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on Aeromexico-operated flights.
Old May 19, 2018, 1:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bworrell
I just booked MEX-LAS-LAX in W class. AM ticketed, AM operated for MEX-LAS. Any recent experience about upgrading to Premier? Just wanted to make sure everyone was still waiting until the airport to be added to the upgrade list? That was my experience a few months ago.

Here's what the Delta site says by the way. Interesting about AM Plus since I think most of us are getting upgraded easily (this one I booked already AM Plus so I can't test it out)
I got upgraded recently at the gate on IAD-MEX-IAD. DL Medallions, as mentioned before, go to the very bottom of the list.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I just booked tickets on Delta Issued, Aeromexico operated flights from DFW-PVR through MEX. I'm a DM, my husband is a GM. Do we need to be on a separate record to upgrade? The DL website says Upgrade not eligible for our flight, and we can't select seats in coach on MEX-PVR or PVR-MEX, but we can select seats on DFW-MEX and MEX to DFW. Flight appears to be wide open a this point.

Is 1hr 15 min an ok connection in MEX?
Old May 25, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I just booked tickets on Delta Issued, Aeromexico operated flights from DFW-PVR through MEX. I'm a DM, my husband is a GM. Do we need to be on a separate record to upgrade? The DL website says Upgrade not eligible for our flight, and we can't select seats in coach on MEX-PVR or PVR-MEX, but we can select seats on DFW-MEX and MEX to DFW. Flight appears to be wide open a this point.

Is 1hr 15 min an ok connection in MEX?
No need to separate record. Call AM or use the online chat feature for seat selection. 1h15m might be tight on the outbound flight as you need to go through immigration before connecting to PVR. I only have experiences arriving to MEX as a final destination but others might tell you about their experience as a connecting passenger.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Managed to book on DL 006 with AM flight #s . No upgrades available via DL.com. Any clues or advice? TIA.

Correction: managed to book DL flights, on DL 006, with AM flight #s.

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 19, 2018 at 1:43 pm Reason: clarification
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kthomas
Managed to book on DL 006 with AM flight #s . No upgrades available via DL.com. Any clues or advice? TIA.
DL.com only handles upgrades for Delta flights.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by kthomas
Your upgrade will be processed at the gate approximately 30 minutes before departure.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:23 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Looks like it’s changed for the better https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#Aeromexico
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Your upgrade will be processed at the gate approximately 30 minutes before departure.
We get window upgrades on AM now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.