Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:17 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by flyerCO
We get window upgrades on AM now.
Great! A few months ago my spouse and I were the last one in the list at the gate with no meal. Looking forward to this enhancement.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

Thanks for the advice. Third time was a charm. Went through the same initial roadblocks, but had a great agent who volunteered to have someone else look at it. Came back, thanked me for my persistence, said “we all learned something here”. Reissued the ticket as an AM ticket and put it into O class. A bit odd that the upgrade terms “require a DL marketed, AM operated” flight, but the only way to apply it is to make it an “AM marketed, AM operated flight”, but it’s all good. Thanks again!

ETA: Boy do I wish this route (LAX-MTY) would revert back to a DL flight. While I appreciate the ability to do this upgrade, life was a lot easier when it was a DL flight.
BTW, I had this same issue with agents not knowing how to process an AM upgrade despite O showing as available. I called twice and gave up, but maybe the third time would have been the charm.

@HeadInTheClouds, make sure you check your mileage earning for that flight -- O is also the business class award bucket for AM so most likely you would not have earned any miles on that flight as Delta would have thought it was an award ticket. The same thing happens with global upgrades on Virgin Atlantic. Apparently if you reach out to Delta they can correct it, but it may take some persistence on your part.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by bgriff
BTW, I had this same issue with agents not knowing how to process an AM upgrade despite O showing as available. I called twice and gave up, but maybe the third time would have been the charm.

@HeadInTheClouds, make sure you check your mileage earning for that flight -- O is also the business class award bucket for AM so most likely you would not have earned any miles on that flight as Delta would have thought it was an award ticket. The same thing happens with global upgrades on Virgin Atlantic. Apparently if you reach out to Delta they can correct it, but it may take some persistence on your part.
Yeah, I’m in the middle of that process now. Reported it about 2 weeks ago, agent immediately saw what it was and submitted it to be corrected and told me to give them “7-10 days”. It’s been a bit over that, and still no posting, so it’s time for the next call.

ETA: That follow up call did it. 24 hours later, all posted. Posted as an AM biz class ticket.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Jun 20, 2018 at 7:06 am
Old Jun 19, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
We get window upgrades on AM now.
Anyway to verify if you're on the list? DL.com still shows upgrade not available and Aeromexico's website doesn't show anything for upgrades or that we have any status...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
Anyway to verify if you're on the list? DL.com still shows upgrade not available and Aeromexico's website doesn't show anything for upgrades or that we have any status...
Have you tried AM chat?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
DL.com only handles upgrades for Delta flights.
Sorry; lack of specificity (-10 demerits).

These are Delta flights being codeshared with AM. (I've never seen AM codeshares #s be used for a DL.com booking before).

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 19, 2018 at 3:49 pm
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
Looks like it’s changed for the better https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#Aeromexico
What routes are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades?
  • Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on all intra-Mexico Aeromexico flights, as well as Aeromexico flights between Mexico and the U.S., Central America, Caribbean, Colombia and Ecuador.
So we'll no longer get upgrades on MEX-LIM?!? (I believe there were some other routes that would not be covered under this, as well...) Or, will AM policy towards its elites continue to apply in practice?

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:04 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kthomas
Sorry; lack of specificity (-10 demerits).

These are Delta flights being codeshared with AM. (I've never seen AM codeshares #s be used for a DL.com booking before).
It would show up in your My travel since the operating flight is DL.

Regardless the issue you have is you booked a codeshare. DL flights booked as a codeshare are only eligible for DoD upgrades. Till DoD everything must be done under the fliggt number booked as. It's not possible to upgrade AM5678 operated by DL1234 since AM5678 isn't a DL flight. DoD everything is done as DL1234 and thus you can upgrade then.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
It would show up in your My travel since the operating flight is DL.

Regardless the issue you have is you booked a codeshare. DL flights booked as a codeshare are only eligible for DoD upgrades. Till DoD everything must be done under the fliggt number booked as. It's not possible to upgrade AM5678 operated by DL1234 since AM5678 isn't a DL flight. DoD everything is done as DL1234 and thus you can upgrade then.
I have been successful getting DL to add me to the list in advance, but it takes some pushing. I really wish DL had a better process for DL elites when traveling on DL-operated but AM-coded flights.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by bworrell
I have been successful getting DL to add me to the list in advance, but it takes some pushing.
Phone? Twitter? Other medium? (I was about to try AM chat, which is always fun ... I think they have four guys and it only informs you that it only works from 8a-11p about 1/3rd the time between 8a-11p).

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 20, 2018 at 4:56 pm
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:58 pm

I really wish DL had a better process for DL elites when traveling on DL-operated but AM-coded flights.
Do you see a reason to have AM coded flights often? In this case, I'm 88% sure that I could have just dropped the DL flight numbers over to the DL system ... just wasn't paying attention.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Phone? Twitter? Other medium? (I was about to try AM chat, which is always fun ... I think they have four guys and it only informs you that it only works from 8a-11p about 1/3rd the time between 8a-11p).
AM chat has worked for AM+ upgrades and seat assignments on AM-operated flights. Haven't had the need for anything beyond that. If you're talking about upgrades on DL-operated flights then that will take the diamond line to see if there's a way to help you.

Do you see a reason to have AM coded flights often? In this case, I'm 88% sure that I could have just dropped the DL flight numbers over to the DL system ... just wasn't paying attention.
It's often AM-coded when involving intra-mexico flights. Additionally, you get a big MQD (and regular miles) bonus going AM-coded usually.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:53 pm

AM chat has worked for AM+ upgrades and seat assignments on AM-operated flights. ... If you're talking about upgrades on DL-operated flights then that will take the diamond line to see if there's a way to help you.
I'll try the Twitter team from in-air tomorrow and see if they can get anything done, then the line, and report back.

It's often AM-coded when involving intra-mexico flights. Additionally, you get a big MQD (and regular miles) bonus going AM-coded usually.
I haven't seen 200% or 150% MQM for AM metal upgrades for a while, alas.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'll try the Twitter team from in-air tomorrow and see if they can get anything done, then the line, and report back.

I haven't seen 200% or 150% MQM for AM metal upgrades for a while, alas.
I think OP is meaning the fact that AM coded earn MQD as % of distance rather than straight $.

Let use know how Twitter goes. With window upgrades now for DL elites, they shouldn't be doing anything.
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:03 am

I think OP is meaning the fact that AM coded earn MQD as % of distance rather than straight $.
Hmm. MEX is home so MQD isn't really on my mind ...

ILet use know how Twitter goes. With window upgrades now for DL elites, they shouldn't be doing anything.
No tweeting @Delta today as my first segment had Gogo off during weather turbulence (is that normal?-- anyway--). I upgraded at the T-5d window regardless (no email; no seat assignment; just upgraded, just able to select F seats on login to delta.com; will wait to see if the same happens on later days as I have a few trips booked in the next 3 weeks.)

FWIW Gogo connected far out into the Gulf (today may have been the farthest ATL-MEX headed into the Gulf, given ATL weather delays, +30m on tarmac) and worked until about 10 minutes from landing; FWIW again, it used to drop about 45 minutes out depending on range from the Galveston tower and flight path; not sure if every craft on route has been upgraded to the new Gogo equipment; ... )

Finally: I might venture to mention the current US Department of State travel warnings for parts of Mexico. They are certainly a departure from previous approaches; on the other hand, I have access to the incident reports which prompt those warnings, and not enough time to write the families involved. Please exercise heightened caution if you're travelling to the mentioned areas, particularly areas where DoS personnel are restricted from travelling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.