Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
Originally Posted by davetravels
Anybody have any luck upgrading on AM from JFK/MEX?

It would probably be a Wednesday, Thursday or Friday late afternoon or evening flight.

I've only flown AM domestically in Mexico, so, any pointers to getting this UG would be greatly appreciated!

Yes, I got it once back in Nov'16 JFK-MTY (not quite MEX but close). Once at checkin I asked where I was on the UG standby list (was connecting from Prg-FRA or such) and was like 26 for first upgrade and I was like, dude, really, I just used a GPU on the previous flight and I am 26th, even as a diamond? And he was like, si. But then once onboard in y, he came and brought me up to first. old plane but still apreciated that!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:42 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by safra1
12:45am flight from JFK to MEX. Is upgrading to F worth it? Is there a meal service in Y?
I don't think its worth paying for an upgrade. The few times I've flown it have all been in F, but it didn't seem that full, so you could probably arrange for an empty middle seat. That time usually has a really old beat up plane. Plugs didn't work in F last time. Fell right asleep, so don't recall if they fed us. Once the plane was swapped with the 3pm flight and it was lie flat.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:44 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by SDQBound
Really The AF lounge at JFK T1 is nicer than most SkyClubs in the US.
Ive been there twice, and both times its been beyond hectic. Was also grumpy, but there was no food except for cup of noodles.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Ive been there twice, and both times its been beyond hectic. Was also grumpy, but there was no food except for cup of noodles.
There's usually plenty of food and decent at that. They also serve passengers on the late flights their full meal if they wish instead of eating on the plane.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 5:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
If visiting the lounge between 2 PM and 11:30 PM, there will always be real food, which is usually very good. Outside that period of time, the lounge has a reduced service as no AF flights are departing.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
If visiting the lounge between 2 PM and 11:30 PM, there will always be real food, which is usually very good. Outside that period of time, the lounge has a reduced service as no AF flights are departing.
No, I get why AF caters less when they don't have flights, however, I couldn't find any snacks. Just my opinion, and it might be due to the fact that SFO is my USA home base when not in school, but the DL sky club is nicer. Also the lounge dragon wouldn't let me in on a China Eastern flight in J, despite letting the guy in front of me in on the same flight but he was in Y. Her reasoning, he was a DL gold lol. Was sent to the tiny Alitalia lounge, where they had plenty of snacks and plenty of Orangina in many flavors.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's usually plenty of food and decent at that. They also serve passengers on the late flights their full meal if they wish instead of eating on the plane.
I was told upstairs is where they serve the meals if you don't want to eat on the flight, but only for J passengers (obviously) and only for AF operated flights. Is that true? I have a JAL flight in J tomorrow, which uses the AF lounge, and the oneworld lounge finder says J pax have access to the upstairs part of AF lounge.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I was told upstairs is where they serve the meals if you don't want to eat on the flight, but only for J passengers (obviously) and only for AF operated flights. Is that true? I have a JAL flight in J tomorrow, which uses the AF lounge, and the oneworld lounge finder says J pax have access to the upstairs part of AF lounge.
This is true. Only AF J passengers are allowed to have the full dinner upstairs, which is exactly the same menu served in the air. The area upstairs used to be open to all passengers, and J passengers were given a coupon to order their dinner, however, there have been recent reports about the upstairs area being reserved for the dinner service only.

In any case, the food in the first or second floor buffets are exactly the same.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:53 am

No, I get why AF caters less when they don't have flights, however, I couldn't find any snacks. Just my opinion, and it might be due to the fact that SFO is my USA home base when not in school, but the DL sky club is nicer. Also the lounge dragon wouldn't let me in on a China Eastern flight in J, despite letting the guy in front of me in on the same flight but he was in Y. Her reasoning, he was a DL gold lol. Was sent to the tiny Alitalia lounge, where they had plenty of snacks and plenty of Orangina in many flavors.
A little reminder about DM being higher than GM helps in this case.
Old May 23, 2017, 6:07 am

Just wanted to share my experience. LAX-MEX-LAX for a long weekend. Made the mistake of starting the check-in process online and saw that I had to pay for premium seats. Called AM and was told by agent that since I had already started the check-in, he couldn't do anything and I would have to handle at the airport. But he booked me in an EC seat for the return. Departure - checked in at AM counter and asked agent to put me on upgrade list. He asked to see my DM credentials so I showed him the status on my app. He was very nice and told me I was on the upgrade list and that I should clear. When I boarded, a new seat ticket printed out once the agent scanned me.

The return is where it got interesting. When I tried to check in online, I noticed I no longer had my EC seat, so I decided to handle at the airport. At the airport, I asked the agent at the check-in counter to add me to the upgrade list. He was very pleasant and confirmed he added me to the list and also gave me an EC seat. And indicated I should be getting my upgrade (love how both times the agents were basically telling me FC was empty!). However, when I boarded, no new seat assignment, so I went over to the gate agent to ask about my upgrade. He was a bit of a gruff man, handled a few other customers before me, even though they were behind me on the line. I didn't make a fuss or anything. Note that my Spanish skills are extremely limited. I asked him again about my upgrade and he said that I was supposed to get on the list when I checked in at the counter. I told him that yes, I had done so. Then he said no and walked away. (This was a major lost in translation moment, so I just figured he wasn't talking to me and I just stayed there). He handled a few other things and then came back to me. He then tells me that there is an upgrade available but there was no meal to which I replied "that's fine!" and he had me sign a meal waiver and then gave me my new seat. He even let me go out and pick up a sandwich and re-board. Sitting in my upgraded seat now and there are 5 empty seats in FC.

TLDR - ask, ask again, be polite and you just never know! Even if you run into "super grumpy AM gate agent".

Last edited by jessesgirl; May 23, 2017 at 6:53 pm Reason: typo
Old May 25, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Upgrade to First AM - SFO to MEX

requested to purchase an upgrade to first was told $180. I agreed and they charged my card. Could only accept AMEX because there system wasn't agreeable to other cards at the moment. When i purchased i got a receipt for $150 and as i was leaving i was told to wait. I need to sign the form "SIN ALIMENTOS". to agree that i would not receive the First Class meal but rather the meal that was in economy. They also never asked me if i wanted a drink after the first round. Strange behaviour in my opion
Old May 25, 2017, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JamesLyle
requested to purchase an upgrade to first was told $180. I agreed and they charged my card. Could only accept AMEX because there system wasn't agreeable to other cards at the moment. When i purchased i got a receipt for $150 and as i was leaving i was told to wait. I need to sign the form "SIN ALIMENTOS". to agree that i would not receive the First Class meal but rather the meal that was in economy. They also never asked me if i wanted a drink after the first round. Strange behaviour in my opion
Are you elite? You could get for free.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like in early May, this program was made more official:

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...es-aeromexico/

I just booked a codeshare (DL flight # on AM metal) and I see this in my Delta reservation: "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE"

Considering I'm booked on the DL flight number, and I'm unable to get an upgrade here?

Not sure if I should start by calling Delta or AM.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by josephstern
Sounds like in early May, this program was made more official:

http://pointsmilesandmartinis.boardi...es-aeromexico/

I just booked a codeshare (DL flight # on AM metal) and I see this in my Delta reservation: "NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE"

Considering I'm booked on the DL flight number, and I'm unable to get an upgrade here?

Not sure if I should start by calling Delta or AM.
Was discussed in the JV announcement thread.

as for delta.com Its correct technically. DL cant offer a free upgrade on the flight, only AM can. Thus as far as DL is concerned its not eligible for an upgrade.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Some anecdotal experience from my first two Gold Medallion upgrade efforts.

SFO-MEX
used live chat to get AM Plus seat several days out
6 seats available in Clase Premier at about 2h before departure
added me to upgrade list by ticket counter agent
went to gate (where same people generally work...helpful in this case)
experienced some back and forth between agents in Spanish about insufficient meals
clarified that I didn't need one if they didnt't have enough and signed some waiver
Given upgrade
Ended up with a meal anyway (not that it really matters on that segment)

MEX-SFO
used live chat to get AM Plus seat several days out
6 seats available in Clase Premier at about 2h before departure
agent at ticket counter swiftly added me to upgrade list
asked at Salon Premier about where I stood on the list, but agent seemed flummoxed
then there were 4 seats...and then there were none shortly thereafter
arrived at gate, and saw that I was put on the waitlist and not the upgrade list
suspect guy in the lounge mucked it up as my name was even wrong on global entry doc
feel fairly confident it would have cleared
flight was fulll in coach/doubt there were buy ups at that hour
even if not, frustrating...

anyway, moral of the story for me is make sure i'm on the right list, and if i'm at MEX and at a gate with monitors that display the lists, confirm it visually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.