Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Old May 5, 21, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AC 50K, Hyatt Ist-iest, Starriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Akiestar View Post
Hi, folks. Question for upgrades: I'm looking to getting myself on an AM flight soon and I'm wondering if upgrades still clear only on the day of departure.
Last year, I my PVR-MEX upgrade cleared like 3 days in advance as a PM, so they definitely can clear sooner than DoD.
Old May 6, 21, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Upgrades on AM should clear before DoD per terms, unless they've changed.
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Last year, I my PVR-MEX upgrade cleared like 3 days in advance as a PM, so they definitely can clear sooner than DoD.
I typically book AM flights through AM as opposed to DL, so I imagine they clear in advance if booked with DL but I wonder if that's also the case with flights booked directly with AM.
Old May 8, 21, 12:09 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Purchased 006 ticket with DL with one leg on AM. The DL fare is W (AM Plus). I'd like to upgrade that leg to Premiere (First Class). I called DL and they gave me the AM pnr and told me to do it on the AM website. The AM website doesn't give an upgrade option in the seat assignment, and when I click "change/cancel" on AM to try to rebook in F, it locks me out and tells me to call AM. And when I call AM and follow the prompts, it tells me to fill out a request on the website and hangs up on me.

Any counsel on how to make this happen? Can DL do it, even if it means re-ticketing?
Old May 8, 21, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by paterwdb View Post
Purchased 006 ticket with DL with one leg on AM. The DL fare is W (AM Plus). I'd like to upgrade that leg to Premiere (First Class). I called DL and they gave me the AM pnr and told me to do it on the AM website. The AM website doesn't give an upgrade option in the seat assignment, and when I click "change/cancel" on AM to try to rebook in F, it locks me out and tells me to call AM. And when I call AM and follow the prompts, it tells me to fill out a request on the website and hangs up on me.

Any counsel on how to make this happen? Can DL do it, even if it means re-ticketing?
We can't help unless we know how you're wanting to upgrade. GUC/RUC/miles/cash...
Old May 8, 21, 8:53 am

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Cash.
Old May 8, 21, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's 006 DL ticket stock and you purchased the ticket directly from DL (not an OLTA or corporate travel agent), you should be able to call DL and have them refare the ticket to upgrade the flight, but this might not give you the cheap upgrade I suspect you want. In fact, if you have connections, it's sometimes cheaper to confirm premium cabin for all segments in the same direction to keep all of those segments on the same fare component and avoid broken fares.
Old Jun 20, 21, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Reports from my AM ticketed IAH-MEX-SJD r/t this week as a PM. Overall I cleared 3 of the 4 flights; IAH-MEX at the gate, MEX-SJD was a true battlefield upgrade once we'd already boarded, missed SJD-MEX (was probably 10th of 15 on the list for 0 seats - but it was Sunday afternoon so lots of wealthy Mexicans headed home from the weekend I guess), cleared MEX-IAH at check in. Highly recommend using the AM app to checkin and view the upgrade lists since I don't think there is any other way to do it, though the AM app sucks, and unless I'm missing something, you can only view the upgrade list for your next flight. So until IAH-MEX landed, I couldn't see the list for MEX-SJD.
Old Jun 21, 21, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite
I cleared a TIJ-MEX upgrade at some point before boarding on a 738. Noticed it when I was walking over to the gate. I was #2 on the list with 0 seats available, and I guess 2 opened up last minute.

Have MEX-TIJ coming up in two days on a Dreamliner. Not sure how it'll work there.

edit: I was on the list but the paid upgrade was not a bad deal so I went for it. After boarding, the top two passengers on the list got their upgrades cleared. Only one of them took the seat, the other must not have wanted it. Based on my position before paying for it, I most likely would have gotten it, especially since there would have been 3 empty J seats. This was on their 788. Not a bad way to fly intra-Mexico.

Last edited by motoridersd; Jun 25, 21 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 25, 21, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Upgrade bids

Are basic fares allowed to bid on upgrades? The DL (no) and AM (yes) site are contradicting on upgrades allowed

Looking to book via DL site (with DL gift cards).
Old Sep 23, 21, 1:17 pm

I am a Gold Medallion booked on true AM flights within Mexico on DL issued 006 ticket stock.
The flights are all classic fares.
It seems I would be eligible for an upgrade 72 hours prior to departure.
Does it happen automatically or do I need to call AM?
Does it help to check in on the AM App/Website when check in opens?
Thanks.
Old Sep 24, 21, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by chuck1 View Post
I am a Gold Medallion booked on true AM flights within Mexico on DL issued 006 ticket stock.
The flights are all classic fares.
It seems I would be eligible for an upgrade 72 hours prior to departure.
Does it happen automatically or do I need to call AM?
Does it help to check in on the AM App/Website when check in opens?
Thanks.
Should be automatically. IME upgrades except on empty flights are always at gate.
Old Oct 16, 21, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Upgraded on IAH-MEX last night (10/15) about 3 days in advance as a PM - maybe earlier - I never got a notification, I only noticed flipping through my DL app and saw it had switched to purple/Premier. An upgrade I fully expected since at the time of booking F appeared completely empty.
Old Oct 16, 21, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
Upgraded on IAH-MEX last night (10/15) about 3 days in advance as a PM - maybe earlier - I never got a notification, I only noticed flipping through my DL app and saw it had switched to purple/Premier. An upgrade I fully expected since at the time of booking F appeared completely empty.
I've found US-MEX (excluding JFK/LAX) flights on AM are typically either completely full or nearly empty in F. We have three daily afternoon flights SAT-MEX and one early morning AUS-MEX. I either upgrade at window or don't when not paying for F. SAT/AUS-MEX-AMS/MAD RT J for $1200-$1600 explain when completley full. If wasn't for long connection times on way back I think flights would always be full.
Old Oct 16, 21, 3:48 pm

What are your experiences with upgrades on true AM ticketed flights? Im DM and I have a trip to SJO via the LAX-MEX redeye. Purchased upgrades are $450 for AM649 only.
Old Oct 28, 21, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Interesting to read that alcoholic drinks are not included in business class on AM domestic flights? It used to be that beer was included, but it is not on the list of Clase Premier benefits when I was asked to bid for an upgrade (which I wont do since I should be on the upgrade list as a DM anyway).

Search this Thread