Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL: DM, 3MM; UA:1K
Delta/AM communication

I’m traveling LAX-MEX tomorrow in a DL codeshare operated by AM.

Checked in today and app shows 0 people on the upgrade list — I hadn’t cleared but expected to be on the gate list. Called AM, and agent said I’m not on the airport upgrade list and Delta would have to request the upgrade because my FF status is with Delta. Delta DM line says they can’t see the AM list, but that I’m definitely on it. Call back AM, and agent says he can see the list, and I’m definitely not on it.

*frustration*
Old Feb 7, 2020, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I wanted to report from a trip this past week. I flew JFK-MEX/PVR-MEX-JFK on AM metal booked as a Delta award ticket. I was auto upgraded to Biz on the PVR-MEX flight about 72 hrs in advance. Wound up on the waitlist for MEX-JFK but figured there would be no chance it'd clear. The flight had gone from J2 to J0 the day of the flight. I was 13th on the list. I inquired at the gate for the outbound and was told by the GA that there weren't even enough seats to upgrade the AM Titanium members, so I was out of luck and far down the list.

Any pretty textbook AM experiences. Crappy food, hit or miss service, and fairly empty planes. I had an empty middle seat on the way down and an exit row to myself on the way back.

Edit to add: in Sept 2019, I was also auto upgraded SJD-MEX-JFK a couple days in advance on a paid economy fare. I think I was still a Gold Medallion at the time too. Didn't clear either of the upgrades on the outbound to SJD. For vacation and status run reasons, I flew far too much AM metal in 2019...

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 7, 2020 at 7:38 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Did not realize there was a thread for this.

Upgraded to first in July 2019 flying AM going SJD->MEX on a basic economy AM ticket.on their early 6am flight. Unfortunately it was just an E190.. but good enough.

That was a great trip full of "upgraded despite basic economy" on one flight segment on each of my 3 tix (the other upgraded flights were on DL).
Old Oct 14, 2020, 9:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
we have two travelers on the same PNR. both PM with DL. Just purchased a DL coded, AM operated flight. In the My Trips on DL only one of us is showing as upgrade eligible (I assume the other passenger is viewed as a companion and thus not eligible). is there a way to have the PM status of the other passenger recognized in order to qualify for upgrades?

also, was there ever a consensus on how AM+ works now? Is it actually a benefit? can it be selected ahead of time or do you need to contact AM? some of the comments here are old so curious if there's any more recent experiences
Old Oct 14, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by gitismatt
we have two travelers on the same PNR. both PM with DL. Just purchased a DL coded, AM operated flight. In the My Trips on DL only one of us is showing as upgrade eligible (I assume the other passenger is viewed as a companion and thus not eligible). is there a way to have the PM status of the other passenger recognized in order to qualify for upgrades?

also, was there ever a consensus on how AM+ works now? Is it actually a benefit? can it be selected ahead of time or do you need to contact AM? some of the comments here are old so curious if there's any more recent experiences
You need to separate the PNR. Each passenger needs to be on their own. If you both weren't PM and had any DL operated flights this could be an issue for upgrades, but as your both PM PM there's no benefit of being on same. Actually there's a drawback, any upgrades for DL metal would require 2 seats be available otherwise itll skip both of you for the next PNR with just 1 upgrade request.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SoroSuub1
Did not realize there was a thread for this.

Upgraded to first in July 2019 flying AM going SJD->MEX on a basic economy AM ticket.on their early 6am flight. Unfortunately it was just an E190.. but good enough.

That was a great trip full of "upgraded despite basic economy" on one flight segment on each of my 3 tix (the other upgraded flights were on DL).
Was there any inflight service?
Old Oct 20, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by fly747first
Was there any inflight service?
According to my lack of pictures, no.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This is admittedly a niche question... but does anybody know/have experience if Basic Economy tickets on AM are eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades? I have looked on the AM website and haven't found any language to suggest that they aren't eligible (unlike DL metal).
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
This is admittedly a niche question... but does anybody know/have experience if Basic Economy tickets on AM are eligible for complimentary medallion upgrades? I have looked on the AM website and haven't found any language to suggest that they aren't eligible (unlike DL metal).
Do you have Delta Medallion status? or AM club premiere status? if DL medallion here is what Delta.com has to say about it.What tickets are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades?
  • All tickets, except Basic Economy tickets, are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on Aeromexico. This includes Award Tickets
    • Basic Economy tickets on Delta-marketed** flights will show the fare class letter ‘E’ when booking the flight.
    • Basic Economy tickets on Aeromexico-marketed flights will show the fare class letter 'V' when booking the flight.
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2021, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So I have an expiring AeroMexico voucher, and the way things are shaping up, to use the leftover value from the main J ticket I want to book, I need to book an economy flight and attempt to upgrade with instruments.

I have two choices:

- AM operated, AM coded flights
- DL operated, AM coded flights

I'd like to use an RUC on this trip. The language is... unclear, at best:

Originally Posted by Delta
This certificate is valid for qualifying one-way travel on flights operated by Delta Air Lines and certain Delta Connection® operated flights in markets where Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are available, including First Class and the domestic Delta One experience, for the named Upgrade Certificate owner or travel companion(s) who is a SkyMiles Member pursuant to the terms and conditions of this offer.

1. Valid Carrier: Valid only on Delta Air Lines and certain Delta Connection carrier operated flights.

This makes it look like only DL operated flights are eligible.

But then later, AeroMexico flights do appear eligible after all:

Originally Posted by Delta
  1. Applicable Routes: Valid for use on one-way travel on published fares and routings where Medallion Complimentary Upgrades are available, including First Class and the domestic Delta One experience. Flights must be operated by Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection or Aeromexico carriers. Valid only for travel on routings with an upgradeable Main Cabin Class fare. Not valid on a domestic, connecting leg of an international itinerary.
  2. Applicable Fare Classes: Certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection or Aeromexico operated flights on published Main Cabin and Delta Comfort+ fares booked in W, S, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class (including corporate tickets) and upgrade into SY/RY/OY class, and may also be used to upgrade on Award Travel tickets and Miles + Cash tickets on Delta-operated flights, Pay with Miles tickets, Companion Certificates and tickets booked as a part of a Delta Vacations package. Certificate may not be used to upgrade other published fares booked in Basic Economy. For travel on Aeromexico operated, Delta marketed flights this certificate may be used to upgrade on Delta's published fares booked in W, S, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and all fare classes upgrade into Aeromexico's O class.
So... sheesh. Clear as mud.

Anyone have any insight on these two scenarios, and whether either of them is viable?
Old May 1, 2021, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Anything DL operated can be upgraded by DL. However for AM operated flights I understand the rules to be it must be DL marketed in order to use RUC. ie you can't book the flight using the AM flight number.

Overall there's little data points to determine if AM coded, AM operated flights can use RUC for upgrade.
kthomas likes this.
Old May 4, 2021, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Anything DL operated can be upgraded by DL. However for AM operated flights I understand the rules to be it must be DL marketed in order to use RUC. ie you can't book the flight using the AM flight number.

Overall there's little data points to determine if AM coded, AM operated flights can use RUC for upgrade.
I have JFK-MEX with RUC on DL metal, connecting to MEX-CUN that is AM-operated. I was told my RUC would only work for the DL flight, as the AM-operated one is ineligible.
Old May 4, 2021, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, PR, TG, UA, CX (Asia Miles), BT, AY, AA
Hi, folks. Question for upgrades: I'm looking to getting myself on an AM flight soon and I'm wondering if upgrades still clear only on the day of departure. My DL upgrades have been clearing fairly far out from the day of travel, and I wonder if that can also be expected with AM given the pandemic and all.
Old May 5, 2021, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryanm
I have JFK-MEX with RUC on DL metal, connecting to MEX-CUN that is AM-operated. I was told my RUC would only work for the DL flight, as the AM-operated one is ineligible.
This is incorrect. AM is the only OAL that they work on. Agent isn't likely familiar on terms. Call back.

Originally Posted by Akiestar
Hi, folks. Question for upgrades: I'm looking to getting myself on an AM flight soon and I'm wondering if upgrades still clear only on the day of departure. My DL upgrades have been clearing fairly far out from the day of travel, and I wonder if that can also be expected with AM given the pandemic and all.
Upgrades on AM should clear before DoD per terms, unless they've changed.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 7:54 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I haven't tried for a while but I found the process of using RUCs on AM to be even more challenging than trying to use GUCs on partners. At least most agents are aware that GUCs can be used on partners, even if they often don't know how to do it correctly. But many of them don't seem to even have heard of the possibility that RUCs can be used on a partner.
flyerCO and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.