Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades on AeroMexico flights (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
AM upgraded me on MEX-MTY-ICN a few weeks ago 24 hours in advance of the flight... not sure why as the flight was neither full nor was it entirely empty up front, so no weight-balance issues I could perceive. Even my non-status companion got upgraded.

Of course, this falls out of any standard policy, but for a 17-hour flight I was super grateful, even if the upgrade somehow messed the fare basis up and reported it as non-earning. A quick DM to Delta on Twitter fixed that.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:23 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
AM upgraded me on MEX-MTY-ICN a few weeks ago 24 hours in advance of the flight... not sure why as the flight was neither full nor was it entirely empty up front, so no weight-balance issues I could perceive. Even my non-status companion got upgraded.

Of course, this falls out of any standard policy, but for a 17-hour flight I was super grateful, even if the upgrade somehow messed the fare basis up and reported it as non-earning. A quick DM to Delta on Twitter fixed that.
One of the wonders of Mexico and AM, is the presence of informal structures, especially of discretion and courtesy-- when they work.

I can certainly say if I were to hear of frequent upgrades on these routes for elites, I'd strongly prefer them over other products. Which would throw revenue towards AM, if they do it properly.

Did you ask in any way?
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by kthomas
Did you ask in any way?
I did at MEX during the connection from LIM. The check-in agent went to talk to her supervisor for about 15 minutes before coming back and saying everything was in the clear. I asked about oversells and she sort avoided answering directly.

"Thank you for your honesty" was all she could really say!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Very interesting. I was just upgraded in advance (48 hours) on a DL-Operated AM-Coded flight (DL ticket stock). I didn't think that was possible without the diamond line doing something to cause it.

It's very strange that first/business upgrades might be possible in advance but no upgrades to Comfort+ in advance on these types of tickets?
kthomas likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by bworrell
Very interesting. I was just upgraded in advance (48 hours) on a DL-Operated AM-Coded flight (DL ticket stock). I didn't think that was possible without the diamond line doing something to cause it.

It's very strange that first/business upgrades might be possible in advance but no upgrades to Comfort+ in advance on these types of tickets?
So far I seem to be seeing window upgrades on the first segment alone of multi-segment routes, on AM-coded DL metal. Looks like the IT systems are getting closer but not perfect. (This of course is problematic because lower-status flyers take the available seats...)

There's also a new "request upgrade" (to Delta One!) button available during the check-in process online (flight box at the far left), which appears to do little or nothing :P, alas.

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:29 am
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PG
AM Plus Upgrade at Booking

Booked standard economy fares on AM stock (139 ticket prefix) using Chase travel portal. Initially logged into AM chat because the PNR wasn't appearing on their site. I gave him our Skymiles numbers and he proactively confirmed the "upgrade" to AM Plus seats without my asking, and done within 30 minutes of initial booking. My companion has no DL status, so I took that as really nice of them. Great gesture. Flights are over 100 days away. He said upgrades to Premier Class would process at the airport, as sounds like is pretty standard.

Last edited by wxman13; Jun 26, 2018 at 2:51 pm Reason: Not "at booking" but "immediately after"
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by kthomas
So far I seem to be seeing window upgrades on the first segment alone of multi-segment routes, on AM-coded DL metal. Looks like the IT systems are getting closer but not perfect. (This of course is problematic because lower-status flyers take the available seats...)

There's also a new "request upgrade" (to Delta One!) button available during the check-in process online (flight box at the far left), which appears to do little or nothing :P, alas.
I actually ended up receiving all three upgrades on this itinerary, all about T-48. DL ticket stock. AM-coded DL-metal LAS-SLC, AM-coded DL-metal SLC-MEX, and AM-coded AM-metal MEX-CUN. I did not have any faith that would happen.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:08 am

I actually ended up receiving all three upgrades on this itinerary, all about T-48. DL ticket stock. AM-coded DL-metal LAS-SLC, AM-coded DL-metal SLC-MEX, and AM-coded AM-metal MEX-CUN. I did not have any faith that would happen.
I've upgraded on one of the segments that seemed stuck, so looks like things are better. However, today's 2hr segment did not upgrade (almost certainly would have naturally) and left me stuck as lower statuses cleared-- only center C+ left. (I just don't have the time for a phone call, and the better seat would have gotten a little more work done, given what week this is).

IT seems to be moving the "request upgrade" button/option to live in more places, with "unexpected and undesired results."

Enjoy Cancun if you're there now!

P.S. What's somewhat ridiculous: I'd have paid for the upgrade on this flight. I'd have paid 3 times. But no option was available AFAICT to someone on an AM codeshare. (Fortunately, DL IT is far, far from being able to predict when I or people like me are in that situation).

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 27, 2018 at 12:16 am
Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:59 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just a data point: flew MEX-JFK on the 787 today, booked as DL-marketed.

When I checked in online on the AM app yesterday, an offer was available to upgrade to business for $150, and it said 11 seats were still available (I believe that was how many seats were open in the cabin, not necessarily that all 11 were available for $150). If I'd been traveling on vacation I'd probably have taken it, but I decided not to. Later in the evening I checked again and it had dropped to 9 seats available.

When I got to the gate, it does show the upgrade list on the screens at MEX and I was #2 , I assume after any remaining upgrades had processed, as I did not get the upgrade (or possibly it was an I-boarded-I-lost situation).

The AM app also has a button to see the upgrade list but it didn't work for me. Not sure if that's the norm.

I also managed to get the AM.com chat team to give me a free AM Plus seat, as appears to be the standard for Medallions (but only through that one contact channel), but then it did not stick when I did online check-in. I couldn't actually get OLCI to give me a boarding pass anyway, not sure if that's standard to the US or some other issue, so not sure if the AM Plus seat assignment would have stuck if I'd just checked in at the airport.

I wonder if any of this works any easier if booked through AM? I've had tons of issues with seat assignments not sticking, OLCI not working, etc., with a couple of recent DL-marketed AM-operated flights.

But I ended up getting a block of 3 seats to myself on the 787 so it wasn't all bad...
kthomas likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 1:01 am

Quick update: of 8 O/Ws booked AM, 2 had problems with second segments, the rest upgraded at window. I hadn't noticed before: FWIW we seem to get roughly double raw miles accrual (for anyone who cares).

Quite an interesting election this time.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:49 am

Does anyone have any experience trying to get AM+ (or even an upgrade) on AM-coded AM-operated V-Class flights? These are Aeromexico Basic fares, which say no AM+ or Upgrades, but just wondering if they might still let DL elites do it. There's some good fares out there and I'm considering it given that it earns 100% MQM (but only 5% MQD).
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:27 pm

Does anyone have any experience trying to get AM+ (or even an upgrade) on AM-coded AM-operated V-Class flights? These are Aeromexico Basic fares, which say no AM+ or Upgrades, but just wondering if they might still let DL elites do it. There's some good fares out there and I'm considering it given that it earns 100% MQM (but only 5% MQD).
wondering about this too. anyone with any experience?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by callaweii

wondering about this too. anyone with any experience?
Not worth it with AM. They don't bend rules like DL does/can - they do the bare minimum. If you are on a basic fare, it will be pointless to try and get them to give you AM+ or other upgrades. Just pay the difference to a normal fare - its not worth the hassle with AM, and you won't get what you want in the end either.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:46 am

Any further experience WRT long-haul upgrades on AM?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
LBJ cited Delta.com and the rule for AM flights just yesterday in another thread:
  • Medallion Members are eligible for Complimentary Upgrades on all intra-Mexico Aeromexico flights, as well as Aeromexico flights between Mexico and the U.S., Central America, Caribbean, Colombia and Ecuador.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.