FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Hey Fargo! You've got a DL B744 en route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1585360-hey-fargo-youve-got-dl-b744-en-route.html)

jrkmsp Jun 14, 2014 12:49 pm

Hey Fargo! You've got a DL B744 en route

Bad winds over south Minneapolis today have really messed up the airport. DL156 NRT-MSP circled for a while before diverting to Fargo. Feel bad for them all trying to clear customs there. But hey. Bet people don't get photos of B744 in FAR very often!

davetravels Jun 14, 2014 12:53 pm

https://www.delta.com/flifo/servlet/...4&request=main

misterbean Jun 14, 2014 12:56 pm

Ouch. Bad news for MSP-NRT pax with connections. By the time this was known it was probably too late to get rerouted to another US gateway to NRT.

And like the last diversion (LAX-NRT to ANC), this is a non-wifi bird. There's only two left! Evil (wi-f)eye..

davetravels Jun 14, 2014 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by misterbean (Post 23034352)
Ouch. Bad news for MSP-NRT pax with connections. By the time this was known it was probably too late to get rerouted to another US gateway to NRT.

The flight is NRT/MSP, which is probably better then the reverse. I think more opportunities for later-in-the-day connecting flights.

TheMadBrewer Jun 14, 2014 1:14 pm

Many years ago flying LGW-MSP on a NW DC-10 we were diverted to Fargo because of winds. We sat on the ground for a couple hours before flying on to MSP.

As a GE I had gotten my only true OpUp on NW and wanting to pay it back I lent my cell phone to about ten people who needed to call people to let them know what was up. Hard to remember times where a cell phone was something out of the ordinary :)

misterbean Jun 14, 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 23034374)
The flight is NRT/MSP, which is probably better then the reverse. I think more opportunities for later-in-the-day connecting flights.

I'm saying, the diversion will cause MSP-NRT to be delayed, and pax will miss connections in NRT. Had the diversion been known further in advance, it would have given a chance to go MSP-XXX-NRT.

davetravels Jun 14, 2014 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by misterbean (Post 23034438)
I'm saying, the diversion will cause MSP-NRT to be delayed, and pax will miss connections in NRT. Had the diversion been known further in advance, it would have given a chance to go MSP-XXX-NRT.

Got it now, what you were saying.

:)

DL2SXM Jun 14, 2014 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by misterbean (Post 23034438)

MSP - NRT will arrive two hours late so yes, those connecting pax will miss Delta connections. I would imagine that Delta already protected them on other airlines to get them to SIN/MNL/BKK/HKG/TPE... what am I leaving out?

NoStressHere Jun 14, 2014 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by DL2SXM (Post 23034851)
MSP - NRT will arrive two hours late so yes, t...I would imagine that Delta already protected them on other airlines to get them to SIN/MNL/BKK/HKG/TPE... what am I leaving out?

Only other place I can think of is Bumfuk, Egypt if some folks are headed there - usually U.S. Military.

MSPeconomist Jun 14, 2014 6:10 pm

MSP - NRT will arrive two hours late so yes, those connecting pax will miss Delta connections. I would imagine that Delta already protected them on other airlines to get them to SIN/MNL/BKK/HKG/TPE... what am I leaving out?

At NRT, changing terminals is a pain. Also, if someone gas upgraded with a SWU or GUC or miles, will they be put into business class on the rebooking with another carrier?

dd1612 Jun 14, 2014 6:22 pm

Usually when such a major disruption occurs the DL folks at NRT will hold the connecting flights from NRT to SIN/ BKK/ HKG/TPE/MNL to enable these pax on the MSP-NRT flight to make their connections.

Cause if the NRT-SIN arrives at SIN 2 hours late ie at 3am it still gives enough time at SIN to clean the aircraft and get catering etc for the outbound SIN-NRT departure at 6am.

davetravels Jun 14, 2014 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by dd1612 (Post 23035334)
Usually when such a major disruption occurs the DL folks at NRT will hold the connecting flights from NRT to SIN/ BKK/ HKG/TPE/MNL to enable these pax on the MSP-NRT flight to make their connections.

Cause if the NRT-SIN arrives at SIN 2 hours late ie at 3am it still gives enough time at SIN to clean the aircraft and get catering etc for the outbound SIN-NRT departure at 6am.

Well, the delayed MSP/NRT is flying with an ETA of 8:11PM. Just randomly checking . . . .

HKG & SIN leave at 7:15. BKK & TPE at 6:45. MNL at 6:20.

None delayed yet.

BKK, TPE & MNL are all B744s. HKG & SIN are B777s.

MSPeconomist Jun 14, 2014 7:23 pm

I think the decision depends somewhat on whether other carriers have space for the potential misconnects.

Sometimes a better alternative exMSP is to reroute through Europe to SIN, HKG, etc. Then you arrive late of course, but not a full 24 hours late.

DL2SXM Jun 14, 2014 11:52 pm

All NRT flights are showing on time still for 6/15

quasihumanist Jun 15, 2014 12:20 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23035489)
I think the decision depends somewhat on whether other carriers have space for the potential misconnects.

Sometimes a better alternative exMSP is to reroute through Europe to SIN, HKG, etc. Then you arrive late of course, but not a full 24 hours late.

DL pretty much runs the latest flights out of NRT to most of its Asian destinations. They all get in around midnight, and all of them except for SIN are too short for red-eyes.

The alternatives to get in by Monday morning are basically through Europe, or to use one of the flights run by various Asian carriers that leave YVR/SFO/LAX around midnight and arrive early Monday morning.