FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Be careful when redeeming credits (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1584260-careful-when-redeeming-credits.html)

FireFlyer Jun 10, 2014 10:22 am

Be careful when redeeming credits

Yesterday, I set out to book a trip SAN-IAD. I first checked options on Google Flights, as I often do, then proceeded with booking on Delta.com. Just before I finished the booking, I remembered that I had credits available in my "wallet" from a changed itinerary earlier this year. You can't use credits at the end of a normal booking process, where you would normally enter payment method. Instead, if you're using credits, you have to start on your credit/voucher page, indicate which credit you want to use, then proceed from there.

When I went through the entire process again, starting at the credits page, I ended up with only half the choices of flights I had on a regular booking page and the best price, even after application of the credits, was more than double the price I had come up with a straight booking. I checked the terms and conditions for the credits and couldn't find any reason for such a huge discrepancy.

I immediately picked up the phone and called Delta - got someone on the DM line in SLC - explained the situation - she pulled up the itinerary and flight and cost options - apologized that there are known problems with application of credits - and applied my credits to the original itinerary and cost that I had found at the outset.

At the end of the day, I was able to use the credits on an itinerary and for a cost that was appropriate. However, if I had never checked in advance and if I had initially gone in through the credits page, I would never have known there was a problem and ended up on bad flights for more than twice the cost. Just a word of caution for anyone attempting to use credits to book flights: do your homework and understand your options BEFORE you attempt to use the credits.

HongKonger Jun 10, 2014 10:53 am

Originally Posted by FireFlyer (Post 23009841)
Yesterday, I set out to book a trip SAN-IAD. I first checked options on Google Flights, as I often do, then proceeded with booking on Delta.com. Just before I finished the booking, I remembered that I had credits available in my "wallet" from a changed itinerary earlier this year. You can't use credits at the end of a normal booking process, where you would normally enter payment method. Instead, if you're using credits, you have to start on your credit/voucher page, indicate which credit you want to use, then proceed from there.

When I went through the entire process again, starting at the credits page, I ended up with only half the choices of flights I had on a regular booking page and the best price, even after application of the credits, was more than double the price I had come up with a straight booking. I checked the terms and conditions for the credits and couldn't find any reason for such a huge discrepancy.

I immediately picked up the phone and called Delta - got someone on the DM line in SLC - explained the situation - she pulled up the itinerary and flight and cost options - apologized that there are known problems with application of credits - and applied my credits to the original itinerary and cost that I had found at the outset.

At the end of the day, I was able to use the credits on an itinerary and for a cost that was appropriate. However, if I had never checked in advance and if I had initially gone in through the credits page, I would never have known there was a problem and ended up on bad flights for more than twice the cost. Just a word of caution for anyone attempting to use credits to book flights: do your homework and understand your options BEFORE you attempt to use the credits.

This is one of DL's many intentional "glitches" by which they dishonestly overcharge the unsophisticated. Additional "glitches" are the "I clicked on purchase and all of a sudden the price went up!" and "When I search by price not all the options show up!" among others. Good for you for using your credits on the tickets you originally intended to purchase.

Renes Points Jun 10, 2014 10:58 am

Originally Posted by FireFlyer (Post 23009841)
You can't use credits at the end of a normal booking process, where you would normally enter payment method. Instead, if you're using credits, you have to start on your credit/voucher page, indicate which credit you want to use, then proceed from there.

Not entirely correct. You can do it at the last step but as you have shown and others have seen it is another sneaky way for DL to make more money if you do not check the "cash" price 1st before you apply the ETV!

http://boardingarea.wpengine.netdna-...he-process.jpg

MSPeconomist Jun 10, 2014 11:14 am

When I've tried to apply an ecredit at the end, often delta.dumb refuses or claims to not find the accredits in my account.

A similar glitch to watch for is that you should not click on the upgrade to FC at the end of the purchase process without first checking what it would cost if you request a G class or higher fare at the beginning of the search.

fansvodka Jun 10, 2014 11:23 am

this happens to me every time I try to use a companion certificate. if I try to book online using the companion cert the price is over $400 more per person than without one

chebert999 Jun 10, 2014 11:28 am

I have tried this just now (my eCerts is 700$) and delta.dumb says the value is 0$. I called delta and they said the value is 700$. I said: thank you and let me try online again. I did it again on delta.dumb and it says: the value of your eCerts (0$) will be applied...I'm getting really annoyed !!!!! ;(

MSPeconomist Jun 10, 2014 11:30 am

Originally Posted by fansvodka (Post 23010314)
this happens to me every time I try to use a companion certificate. if I try to book online using the companion cert the price is over $400 more per person than without one

This is a different issue. it's well known and in the fine print that the companion certs require certain fare codes.

fansvodka Jun 10, 2014 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 23010366)
This is a different issue. it's well known and in the fine print that the companion certs require certain fare codes.

no this has nothing to do with the fare codes. I am well aware of the fare class restrictions and am confirming that the same exact fare class purchased with or without companion certs results in different pricing on delta.com. confirmed via phone call when I booked after noticing the difference.

MSPeconomist Jun 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by fansvodka (Post 23010711)
no this has nothing to do with the fare codes. I am well aware of the fare class restrictions and am confirming that the same exact fare class purchased with or without companion certs results in different pricing on delta.com. confirmed via phone call when I booked after noticing the difference.

How can exactly the same fare code, not just the fare class, have different prices for exactly the same flights and dates?

fansvodka Jun 10, 2014 2:09 pm

no idea. if I had taken a screenshot of it when it happened I would post but it was a week ago

pbd456 Jun 10, 2014 5:20 pm

Search by schedule will fix it.

Renes Points Jun 11, 2014 9:51 am

Originally Posted by fansvodka (Post 23011525)
no idea. if I had taken a screenshot of it when it happened I would post but it was a week ago

It is often due to "up" fares that the cert can not do so you are seeing a fare class when search cash that is not a valid fare class for the certs.

If you call Delta on it and press them they will often match the lower price shown on Delta.dumb

fansvodka Jun 12, 2014 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 23016700)
It is often due to "up" fares that the cert can not do so you are seeing a fare class when search cash that is not a valid fare class for the certs.

If you call Delta on it and press them they will often match the lower price shown on Delta.dumb

I am trying to use an amex reserve companion cert and it wont let me make the purchase online its coming back with an error ("We're sorry, there was a problem processing your request."). the flight is JFK to AUS from 8/7 thru 8/10 and its showing A fares available for $910 but when I call to purchase they say its showing them $1600 and wont honor the $910 fare its crazy.

fansvodka Jun 12, 2014 9:38 am

im on the phone with a supervisor they said its a known issue with using amex certs for A fares.

HongKonger Jun 12, 2014 10:20 am

Originally Posted by fansvodka (Post 23022609)
im on the phone with a supervisor they said its a known issue with using amex certs for A fares.

"Known issue" LOL

If it's "known" and not intentional then why don't they do something about it?

I'll answer my own question: "Known issue" = "A way to scam the unsophisticated."