FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   BE from NRT TO HKG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1583848-nrt-hkg.html)

FlySkyTeam Jun 8, 2014 8:49 pm

BE from NRT TO HKG

To preface, I have read through the trip reviews on this. The NRT to HKG flight is a BE product service, however I noticed yesterday that we did not have any amenity kits on the flight (which seamed strange) Also the meal service, which was good, came out at once. Is this a modified BE product?

I am asking because I am curious, not because I was dying to have the amenity kit! Though another pair of cheap socks would have been nice.

Just wondering.

FlytheTail Jun 8, 2014 9:03 pm

Your experience is common for the shorter DL flights within Asia. For the longer flights (such as BKK), you'd get the full BE amenities.

wp_kid Jun 8, 2014 9:09 pm

Neither does NRT-MNL or NGO-MNL, which are similar in distance/duration.

NRT-SIN definitely supplies the amenity kits.

lamont2718 Jun 8, 2014 9:10 pm

I flew HKG-NRT in BE recently, and the meal was served in two parts (even though it was only breakfast).

vgb2001 Jun 8, 2014 9:16 pm

Same experience here. No amenity kit, no slippers, only one pillow, simpler meal and barely average wines. Definitely not the same BE that brings you to nrt. A bit disappointing actually.

FlySkyTeam Jun 8, 2014 9:34 pm

Hmm.. If Delta is going to brand it as BE, then it should have the amenity kits at a minimum. The inconsistencies in services are odd, especially for a full fare BE ticket.

On the other hand, the crew was senior and very attentive.

TheMadBrewer Jun 8, 2014 11:19 pm

My NRT-TPE was much the same -- no Amenity Kit, limited menu, served all at once.

I wonder if there is an official cutoff duration? -- that is flights over X hours get the full BE, less than that "BE light"

Sez_Who Jun 9, 2014 4:07 am

Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam (Post 23000593)
Hmm.. If Delta is going to brand it as BE, then it should have the amenity kits at a minimum. The inconsistencies in services are odd, especially for a full fare BE ticket.

Not disagreeing with you, though have no use for another amenity kit. Fly this NRT-HKG route 4-6 times/yr, personally preferred the 777 over the 330 but frankly the route is pretty much the same as a t-con. At least they have lie-flats in BE, much more important to me than another kit.

FlySkyTeam Jun 9, 2014 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sez_Who (Post 23001383)
Not disagreeing with you, though have no use for another amenity kit. Fly this NRT-HKG route 4-6 times/yr, personally preferred the 777 over the 330 but frankly the route is pretty much the same as a t-con. At least they have lie-flats in BE, much more important to me than another kit.

That's a good point. It felt like a T-Con route. I now have boxes of wrapped amenity kits and hand them out as souvenir gifts to friends ;) though sometimes it is nice to have the socks...

Years ago when I went to the Delta store at the Delta museum, I picked up a box of amenity kits for $5. It was a great deal... plus I also picked up some old Song memorabilia.

Medeski Jun 10, 2014 6:47 am

NRT-GUM is sold as BE (to include needing an SWU/GUC to upgrade into) and its an old 757 that they wouldnt even fly domestically unless they had no other choices

HongKonger Jun 10, 2014 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Medeski (Post 23008417)
NRT-GUM is sold as BE (to include needing an SWU/GUC to upgrade into) and its an old 757 that they wouldnt even fly domestically unless they had no other choices

Yup, it's a joke.

OP the NRT-HKG/vv experience you described is typical. It's not full BE. Still nice though. It has been downgauged many times and is soon to be again. In the PMNW days it was a 744. DL changed it to a 777, now a 333, soon to be a 767 (albeit one of those with lie-flats).

rylan Jun 10, 2014 10:02 am

Yes, the NRT-GUM/SPN/ROR 'beach' markets are standard domestic-like equip but marketed as BE. Even on the NRT-ROR which is almost 5hrs you get the normal intra-asia reduced service and no amenity kit and bleh wines. At least they have cold sake out of NRT.

Often1 Jun 10, 2014 10:09 am

Originally Posted by FlySkyTeam (Post 23000593)

BA carries this to a level of absurdity with 11 advertised classes of service and "bands" within some of them. There is ultimately a service standard for each of them, e.g., "do I get a hot sandwich as opposed to a cold sandwich on a CE flight, Band 2?"

This then leads to unending complaints from people who think they've been done in over some minor issue.

I'm fine with the broad parameters.