Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What are the chances of a Skyclub in San Jose (CA)?

What are the chances of a Skyclub in San Jose (CA)?

Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:48 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Zorak
I was thinking about this on my last trip through SJC -- is there even a place for one? There was what looked like an unmarked anonymous door to a space that could be a lounge (I forget where but maybe opposite gate 8) -- Google finds me references to a former AA club, maybe?
That was an Admiral's Club, AA closed it a while back.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by kjnangre
They'd give DL the whole airport in exchange for SJC-JFK lol
Doesn't DL fly that route, now?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ethernal
The priority pass lounge is always packed if it is any indication of the demand there (but, that said, the existence of a PP lounge decreases the need for a Delta lounge.. everyone and their mother has a card that gives them PP access now).
I don't. Neither does my mother (but she doesn't fly)
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:51 am

Agree that I don't see it happening as Delta just doesn't have the gates there to justify it. But it is a super high yield airport with lots of premium business travel for Delta (mostly high value transcon flights since the West Coast is pretty tightly held by Alaska and Southwest) so it wouldn't be completely unjustified.

The priority pass lounge is always packed if it is any indication of the demand there (but, that said, the existence of a PP lounge decreases the need for a Delta lounge.. everyone and their mother has a card that gives them PP access now).
The packing level at that lounge coincides mostly with the Asian departures. There are lulls in between, and depending on when you visit, it can be rather pleasant. The food offerings tend to be a bit lame, though.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Doesn't DL fly that route, now?
LOL Yes, but Alaska and United started flying to NYC first. So when DL finally got in the game, it wasn't nearly as big of a deal. United has since fled

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; Oct 30, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
The packing level at that lounge coincides mostly with the Asian departures. There are lulls in between, and depending on when you visit, it can be rather pleasant. The food offerings tend to be a bit lame, though.
I mean during domestic business travel hours. The Asian departures (there's only two of them) are both mid-day - the lounge would clear out by 1 PM if it was driven solely by that. It's packed in the afternoons/evenings as well (and I doubt that the BA flight is enough to pack it).

I don't. Neither does my mother (but she doesn't fly)
You know what I meant. Between the Platinum card (provided by tons of businesses to employees), Ritz, SPG, and Hilton cards, and Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Reserve card, pretty much everyone has access. It was just five years or so ago that Priority Pass access was pretty much exclusive to the Platinum card. Most people who travel regularly have at least one of the aforementioned cards in their wallet now.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
I mean, a reduction in competition could well be seen as an incentive, not the opposite. LH was using a 4-engine A340. With that plane, it's hard to be profitable on a thin route. Btw, SJC-PVG was just cancelled also. The door is open for DL to ICN and AMS. (No, I don't actually forsee that happening, but just saying)
If the A-340 was the issue, I wonder why LH didn't just use something smaller....

Personally, I've been hoping for a Skyteam route to Europe (anywhere) from SJC. Given all of the LCC activity at OAK, this would seem to be a good idea.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by rrz518
If the A-340 was the issue, I wonder why LH didn't just use something smaller....
I didn't mean to imply it was the main problem with the route. Just saying that it certainly didn't help. A340s are unusually expensive to operate.

I don't know enough about LH's fleet and route network to comment on why they chose that plane or what else they might have done.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Personally, I've been hoping for a Skyteam route to Europe (anywhere) from SJC. Given all of the LCC activity at OAK, this would seem to be a good idea.
This is a route I can see to AMS when KL gets some more 787's delivered. I'm just not sure that DL/AF/KL can support that many bay area TATL flights with no feed though.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:00 pm

I didn't mean to imply it was the main problem with the route. Just saying that it certainly didn't help. A340s are unusually expensive to operate.

I don't know enough about LH's fleet and route network to comment on why they chose that plane or what else they might have done.
It's just a gap in Lufthansa's fleet. They don't have a long and thin airplane (this is where 767s come in handy).

The closest thing they have - an A330 - is relatively rare in their fleet (they have twice as many A340s as A330s) and they probably have those positioned at more strategic locations.

The rest of Lufthansa's fleet is big and heavy: A380s, 747s, 777s, and A350s.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by kop84
This is a route I can see to AMS when KL gets some more 787's delivered. I'm just not sure that DL/AF/KL can support that many bay area TATL flights with no feed though.
Delta has operated some unconventional routes, PIT - CDG comes to mind. (I wonder if its it still operating?)

But to the original point - DL now has service to every one of its' hubs from SJC, with the augmentation of an international flight the lounge would not seem all that outrageous.

That AA lounge is just dead space, I'd bet the airport would make a sweet deal. And now losing those 2 international routes, I'm sure they are scrambling to make up for lost ground.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:20 pm

Delta has operated some unconventional routes, PIT - CDG comes to mind. (I wonder if its it still operating?)

But to the original point - DL now has service to every one of its' hubs from SJC, with the augmentation of an international flight the lounge would not seem all that outrageous.

That AA lounge is just dead space, I'd bet the airport would make a sweet deal. And now losing those 2 international routes, I'm sure they are scrambling to make up for lost ground.
I think PIT/CDG got the axe. And DL certainly does have more odd ball routes than AA/UA do, but I'm just wondering how many people are going to take AF/KL/DS/VS in the Bay Area with SFO to AMS, CDG, and LHR already, unless KL moves the SFO flight to SJC, would there be enough room for a DL or KL metal flight?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
I think PIT/CDG got the axe. And DL certainly does have more odd ball routes than AA/UA do, but I'm just wondering how many people are going to take AF/KL/DS/VS in the Bay Area with SFO to AMS, CDG, and LHR already, unless KL moves the SFO flight to SJC, would there be enough room for a DL or KL metal flight?
I agree, I don't think it makes sense. Domestically people will fly out of SJC rather than SFO because SFO is an hour further away with traffic and that makes a big difference when your total travel time is 2-4 hours. If you're flying to Europe with a total trip time of 12+ hours, the extra 1 hour to SFO (and 30 minutes without traffic) just doesn't make a big difference.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:04 pm

I agree, I don't think it makes sense. Domestically people will fly out of SJC rather than SFO because SFO is an hour further away with traffic and that makes a big difference when your total travel time is 2-4 hours. If you're flying to Europe with a total trip time of 12+ hours, the extra 1 hour to SFO (and 30 minutes without traffic) just doesn't make a big difference.
Plus all of the other airlines with TATL service from SFO. As you said the time savings is significant with a sub 4 hour flight time, but with a 12 hour flight time it's much less important, and the DL/KL would have to get a substantial revenue premium out of SJC to make it worth their while, but with the flight time, people aren't going to pay that big of a premium just to avoid SFO

It might still happen, but if it does, I'd bet on it being a summer seasonal that was not renewed for the next year.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
ANA seems to be doing well with NRT. Hainan has kept PEK and both are beyond the incentive period. I think that might be the case for BA as well with LHR. I can't recall the start date. I'm not sure if another international route is in the cards for SJC or who would operate it. I don't see DL starting up SJC - AMS or SJC - ICN anytime soon even with the incentives. I also assume that DL would have received incentives to start the DTW route as well. That said, I don't see a lounge coming until they up the frequencies to their eastern hubs. 1x JFK, 1x DTW, and 3x ATL aren't enough to justify a lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.