Search

Security breach in A at DTW tonight

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2014, 9:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by gloobnib
Security alert strobes finally turned off. Hoping we don't have to be re-screened now... No updates from Delta since 9:45.
Arrived at AZO about 1.5hrs late so better than most is seems. We did wait after boarding (round 2) for those stuck on the other side to make it over before we pushed.

All this for a 19 min flight DTW-AZO
Old May 30, 2014, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by DTWflyer
Sigh.....

Can't they just isolate the checkpoint and exit lane to prevent these types of mass terminal evacuations at DTW???
They didn't evacuate -- they knew who they were looking for and found him, but no one was going anywhere until that happened.

(don't ask me how in that crowd !)

Bob H
Old May 30, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
So the guy was exiting the airport through an "exit lane" and decided to go back into the concourse. And now they have to do a full sweep?

I'm not anywhere near a hypochondriac but it is possible the person exiting was able to leave the secure area long enough to grab something that is prohibited and return with it to the terminal. Some type of explosive or weapon stored in a potted plant or trash can. And once back in the terminal the breacher could have handed off the illicit item to another pax in the terminal.

So I could see why a full sweep would be necessary. But there would have to be very compelling evidence that the passenger was up to harm before this was executed..
Old May 30, 2014, 2:37 pm
jer

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.
I got caught up in this. Last leg of a trip starting in Uganda with killer layovers in both AMS (8hrs) and DTW (5 hrs).

We boarded the ROC flight at B17 around 9:30ish and I promptly fell asleep in my seat. Next thing I know, the FA is shaking my shoulder to wake me up and I thought I had slept through to ROC, but we were still in DTW. We deplaned and hung around the seemingly deserted B terminal for while, but got out at around 11:00.

Delta crew and ground staff were excellent and informative throughout. But I'm glad I was not in the A terminal where things apparently got a bit messy with unhappy pax. Just one or two irate types on my flight, but most were in good cheer.
Old May 30, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
It sounds like the lock down was a big CYA move by TSA. Ultimately one of their "highly trained" officers let someone back in via the exit lane. It should be virtually impossible to slide thru the actual checkpoint undetected.

Instead of having sleepy, bored TSA agents "watch" the exit, why not use their salaries to put some smart gates in place?
Old May 30, 2014, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Apparently some idiot from where I live accidentally exited security while trying to connect and went back in the way he came when he realized what he had done.
Old May 30, 2014, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like he's 6'6" . Should have been pretty easy to track down

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/chri...Jg/default.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.