Complimentary Silver status Promotion

Old May 1, 14, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, HH Diamond
Complimentary Silver status Promotion

My wife just received the below email (She is a NYC area Gold who dropped to general member this year)

Thanks for flying Delta so much recently. To show our appreciation for your loyalty, we're giving you Silver Medallion® status for 60 days. All you have to do is register, and your new status will take effect the following day. As a Silver Medallion member, you'll enjoy perks like Priority Boarding, Medallion Complimentary Upgrades and waived baggage fees.

Upgrade to Gold or Platinum Medallion status:
The more you fly, the more benefits you'll get this year.
Take two round-trip Delta or Delta Connection® flights by July 15th and you'll earn Gold Medallion status.
Fly three round-trip Delta or Delta Connection flights by July 15th and you'll earn Platinum Medallion status.
You'll carry this upgraded status with you, along with benefits like Sky Priority®, through February 2015.

This is a limited-time offer so don't wait—change your status today!
REGISTER NOW >

Requirements Duration
Silver Just register now 60 days
Gold 2 Flights by July 15th Through February 2015
Platinum 3 Flights by July 15th Through February 2015

Terms and Conditions

Eligibility: Only members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer. This offer is non-transferable. To be eligible for the complimentary Silver Medallion® status for 60 days, a Member must (i) register online by July 15, 2014, (ii) and not have received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past, and (iii) not currently be a Medallion member. To be eligible for the Gold or Platinum Medallion status upgrade, a Member must (i) register online by July 15, 2014, (ii) book and complete travel on required number of flight(s) after registration and before the promotion end date of July 15, 2014, and (iii) not have received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past, and not currently be a Medallion member.

Offer: Eligible members must first enroll in the promotion by July 15, 2014, in order to participate. Flights booked
Old May 1, 14, 4:32 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Yep! Just received the email as well.

Direct Link to Sign Up

I think it’s quite obvious that Delta is getting worried that so many Medallion members are leaving since they announced they were switching to a revenue based loyalty program as well as slashing upgrades on flights from JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA so they figured they would try and give away their lowest status in hopes to get some new members.

This offered is extremely targeted so while you probably won’t be able to register it can’t hurt to try.

Also wrote this up on my blog if you're interested in reading the full post.
Old May 1, 14, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The special offer only gives status through February 2015 if the terms are met. However, it's halfway into 2014 and someone could have trouble maintaining the same status level through all of 2015 and into the beginning of 2016 if they don't fly a lot in the second half of this year--or strategize on rollover and fly a lot very early in 2015. but then the MQD requirement/waiver won't be so easy to get fast.
Old May 2, 14, 4:39 am

A further cheapening of Medallion status. Practically giving it away.
Old May 2, 14, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by deltadiva View Post
A further cheapening of Medallion status. Practically giving it away.
Agree. Platinum for only 3 round trips? Even US Airways' challenges aren't that generous (unless you just buy status from US).
Old May 2, 14, 7:11 am

Yet another NYC status give-away. DL must be having a very hard time capturing market share if they continue to ratchet up the promos.
Old May 2, 14, 8:50 am

Programs: DL GM, Bonvoy Gold
It's only for six months and I imagine for most people that earn this way it would ruin any rollover they were trying to get.
Old May 2, 14, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
It's only for six months and I imagine for most people that earn this way it would ruin any rollover they were trying to get.
Maybe not...remember this is targeted to "general members" who most likely used to be medallions like my wife. (unsure if its just NYC area targets) In her case she will only fly maybe 15-20k miles on DL this year for leisure and maybe 25kish miles on AA for work. So no chance of worrying about rollover really. She will easily make Gold with this promo with our July 4th leisure trip and one June work trip forced on DL.

Now the real strategy for us is this...I want to buy her one more cheap ticket somewhere so she makes PM and enjoys those benefits for the rest of year leisure trips (Labor, Thxgiving, xmas ect)...then when I drop to general member next Feb, she can gift me Silver Status using her Platinum choice benefits...and when she also drops to general member in Feb, my sister who is a DM will gift her to Gold. ^
Old May 2, 14, 10:08 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
Maybe not...remember this is targeted to "general members" who most likely used to be medallions like my wife. (unsure if its just NYC area targets) In her case she will only fly maybe 15-20k miles on DL this year for leisure and maybe 25kish miles on AA for work. So no chance of worrying about rollover really. She will easily make Gold with this promo with our July 4th leisure trip and one June work trip forced on DL.

Now the real strategy for us is this...I want to buy her one more cheap ticket somewhere so she makes PM and enjoys those benefits for the rest of year leisure trips (Labor, Thxgiving, xmas ect)...then when I drop to general member next Feb, she can gift me Silver Status using her Platinum choice benefits...and when she also drops to general member in Feb, my sister who is a DM will gift her to Gold. ^
The GM or PM status from this promo is only good through February 2015, so I don't think the PM status gift of FO would help much. AFAIK it would only be good through February 2015 too, assuming that such comp status would even receive choice benefits.
Old May 2, 14, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The GM or PM status from this promo is only good through February 2015, so I don't think the PM status gift of FO would help much. AFAIK it would only be good through February 2015 too, assuming that such comp status would even receive choice benefits.
Wait a minute..if my wife became a PM this year with the promo, why couldn't she gift me FO status next February exactly? If she gifted in Feb right when my Gold status was set to expire, wouldn't I be a FO effective March 1st for all of 2015 to 2016?

Side note: Has anyone heard of comped status coming with nerfed benefits like no choice benefits?
Old May 2, 14, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Winkdaddy View Post
My wife just received the below email (She is a NYC area Gold who dropped to general member this year)

Thanks for flying Delta so much recently. To show our appreciation for your loyalty, we're giving you Silver Medallion® status for 60 days. All you have to do is register, and your new status will take effect the following day. As a Silver Medallion member, you'll enjoy perks like Priority Boarding, Medallion Complimentary Upgrades and waived baggage fees.

Upgrade to Gold or Platinum Medallion status:
The more you fly, the more benefits you'll get this year.
Take two round-trip Delta or Delta Connection® flights by July 15th and you'll earn Gold Medallion status.
Fly three round-trip Delta or Delta Connection flights by July 15th and you'll earn Platinum Medallion status.
You'll carry this upgraded status with you, along with benefits like Sky Priority®, through February 2015.

This is a limited-time offer so don't wait—change your status today!
REGISTER NOW >

Requirements Duration
Silver Just register now 60 days
Gold 2 Flights by July 15th Through February 2015
Platinum 3 Flights by July 15th Through February 2015

Terms and Conditions

Eligibility: Only members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer. This offer is non-transferable. To be eligible for the complimentary Silver Medallion® status for 60 days, a Member must (i) register online by July 15, 2014, (ii) and not have received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past, and (iii) not currently be a Medallion member. To be eligible for the Gold or Platinum Medallion status upgrade, a Member must (i) register online by July 15, 2014, (ii) book and complete travel on required number of flight(s) after registration and before the promotion end date of July 15, 2014, and (iii) not have received a status match or complimentary Medallion status in the past, and not currently be a Medallion member.

Offer: Eligible members must first enroll in the promotion by July 15, 2014, in order to participate. Flights booked
This says that wife's status would expire at the end of February 2015. IIRC to gift status to someone who currently has the same status level, you must first wait until the old status expires, which would be March 1, at which time wife is no longer PM. Also, the status levels that give benefits for the 2014 year (ending in February 2015) come with choice benefits that must be selected by February 28, 2015 and would include gifts of FO/GM status that lasts only through February 2015.

I know there was some discussion of comped/gifted status not including choice benefits. I think this also appears somewhere in DL's T&C.
Old May 2, 14, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post

I know there was some discussion of comped/gifted status not including choice benefits. I think this also appears somewhere in DL's T&C.
I was just thinking the same thing. No bonus RDM's as well, IIRC.
Old May 2, 14, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.3 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Yes, and second place is Silver status for two.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: